SIE Korea announced that it will not be releasing Rise of the Ronin in South Korea |UP| Sony said they never planned on releasing there.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony Interactive Entertainment Korea announced that it will not release Japanese game company Team Ninja's new game 'Rise of the Ronin' in Korea.

Rise of the Ronin is an open world action-adventure game set in 19th century Edo period Japan. As it is a new IP game from Team Ninja, which has provided fun to gamers with unique actions such as Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, and Walong: Fallen Dynasty, it has garnered high expectations from many gamers immediately after its release.

Sony Interactive Entertainment began pre-ordering Rise of the Ronin in December last year and received a rating from the Game Management Committee for domestic release.
It was not possible to pre-purchase Rise of the Ronin with a Korean account on the PS Store. At the time, Sony Interactive Entertainment explained that this was a general measure applied to games that were not officially released in Korea.

With about five weeks left until the release date, the remarks of director Fumihiko Yasuda, who is in charge of Rise of the Ronin development, raised the eyebrows of Korean gamers.

The fact that the setting of Rise of the Ronin itself was the Meiji Restoration was controversial in some quarters, but in a video discussing the aftermath of the development of Rise of the Ronin, director Fumihiko Yasuda made a statement glorifying Shoin Yoshida, a 19th-century thinker who advocated 'Jeonghan theory', a theory of invasion of Joseon.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Korea has given up on releasing Rise of the Ronin in Korea. Neither the package version nor the digital download version can be purchased in Korea. It was not revealed that the controversy over the director's remarks was the cause.

Korean gamers said, "Sony Korea made a good decision," "I won't even look at Team Ninja games in the future," "I don't understand why they are trying to put ideology in the game," "Socrates is not such an insignificant great man." They are voicing criticism towards Team Ninja, such as "I hate Korea, but I have no conscience supporting Hangul."

Update...

Last edited:
Reactions: John Elden Ring

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
That is good isn't it?

Instead of scrambling around people's social media to see who recently visit Yasukuni, maybe they can have number directly from Sony for Ronin sales to cry for reparations.

2 million USD for each copy of Ronin sold.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That is good isn't it?

Instead of scrambling around people's social media to see who recently visit Yasukuni, maybe they can have number directly from Sony for Ronin sales to cry for reparations.

2 million USD for each copy of Ronin sold.
🤔😂