SNK opens development studio in Singapore - Dr Serkan Toto

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I thought SNK had financial problems? Opening a games studio in Singapore is probably one of the most expensive places in asia

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
SNK has been around so long... and seeing them in their weakened state, makes me super upset.
They are the OGs of gaming, standing alongside greats like Capcom and Sega (in the fighting/arcade genre).

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
SNK has been around so long... and seeing them in their weakened state, makes me super upset.
They are the OGs of gaming, standing alongside greats like Capcom and Sega (in the fighting/arcade genre).
Their games never sold at the level of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and are less popular. If it weren't for the Capcom vs SNK games I would've never heard of them.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Their games never sold at the level of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat and are less popular. If it weren't for the Capcom vs SNK games I would've never heard of them.

You missed out on some good fighting games then. Fatal Fury, KOF series and Garou were awesome

• Heart
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I thought SNK had financial problems? Opening a games studio in Singapore is probably one of the most expensive places in asia
Didn't they get new investors relatively recently?
Yeah I think Saudi money
Electronic Gaming Development Company, the gaming subsidiary of a Saudi prince's NGO (Mohammed bin Salman) bought SNK by increasing their stake from a third to over 96% of SNK a couple years ago.

As I remember for the 2023 CY they had something like $45M loses, which isn't as bad as they were several years ago.

We also have to consider that in recent years as the saudis did put money they grew to over 400 people, meaning that right now their profitability isn't higher because they have many relatively recently hired people who still haven't released their first game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Singapore might be expensive compared to, like, Vietnam or something, but its cheap compared to Japan, which is where all SNK work used to be done. And their government is willing to subsidize game studios, Ubisoft most infamously but theres others too.