So, what's your thoughts on Silent Hill 2 Remake after the latest gameplay showcase?

26 Nov 2023
If there's one thing I love more than gacha and JRPGs, it's survival horror, and Silent Hill sits at or close to the top of my personal favorites. I've been going back and forth in my head with regards to the remake and I'm still not sure where I land. When it was first revealed I thought everything just looked weird. James looked weird, the way they presented some cutscenes looked weird; it just seemed off for a lack of a more elegant description. Then we had that AWFUL action trailer and I was convinced I'm never touching this game. And then, the showcase.

So like, seeing this game in motion I think it looks really damn good. Atmosphere is spot on, and while I think a few spots are maybe too bright, it's well contrasted when transitioning to darker areas. James actually looks and animates really damn well and the overall sound design seems good from the little we saw. I'm a little iffy on James having a dodge but tbh I don't care about respecting the authenticity of having a dinky protagonist who can't fight because I get the idea that it adds to the tension and believability that you're just a regular Joe but in the same breath, OG SH2 plays like ASS lol My overall feelings on the game is a lot more positive but I have this LOUD nagging voice in the back of my head repeating the same thing over and over...

"THIS IS A BLOOBER GAME" 😞

I just cannot get over the fact Bloober is making this. Bloober sucks, I think they're a terrible horror developer who keeps failing upwards. Their stories are distasteful and while I acknowledge their ability to make incredible environments and craft some excellent horror atmosphere, when it comes to telling a horror story, they are just downright bad. The one saving grace for me is that this is a remake so the story is pretty already laid out for them, but I'm still so scared of the potential for them to fuck even that up. I will say that from the little they showed of the cutscenes and dialogue, I don't think it's too bad (I think fart face is funny, okay lol) so I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic but it's hard.

So yeah, I don't know lmao I wanna be excited, I think it looks really damn good but I can't allow myself to fully get behind this. How are all of you feeling about this game? Did the showcase sway you or were you always a day one buyer?

Disclaimer : There was a thread on Angela's character model and the intent of this thread isn't too rehash that. I'm just genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on the game itself and not just one character.

Reactions: JAHGamer

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It’s a game I’ve wanted to play my entire life…. But never had the chance to get around to it, I was over PS2 by 07. I loved the movie as a kid, and I’ve always admired Silent Hills aesthetic. I still remember how hype the Kojima project was… I finally thought I’d experience this series.

Althought we didn’t get the Kojima game, I’m glad my introduction will be the fan favorite title. Glad that it seems true to the original, since it’s been so highly regarded. Bloober seems to be punching above their weight as how quality it looks. I’ll preorder the most expensive version…. Just because I’m glad that this finally happened. Now to avoid spoilers… seems people like to openly post them since this is a remake.

What I’m REALLY hyped for is Silent Hill F, because of ryukishi07

OP
OP
GachaMadeMeBroke
26 Nov 2023
It’s a game I’ve wanted to play my entire life…. But never had the chance to get around to it, I was over PS2 by 07. I loved the movie as a kid, and I’ve always admired Silent Hills aesthetic. I still remember how hype the Kojima project was… I finally thought I’d experience this series.

Althought we didn’t get the Kojima game, I’m glad my introduction will be the fan favorite title. Glad that it seems true to the original, since it’s been so highly regarded. Bloober seems to be punching above their weight as how quality it looks. I’ll preorder the most expensive version…. Just because I’m glad that this finally happened. Now to avoid spoilers… seems people like to openly post them since this is a remake.

What I’m REALLY hyped for is Silent Hill F, because of ryukishi07

I actually forget about people who never played SH before lol Man, I hope you can avoid spoilers because when everything comes together and gets revealed is a big reason of what makes this game so damn special. I think you'll probably have a better chance of enjoying this game without having played the original.

And yeah, F looks incredible. Ryukishi has been a little bit inconsistent but he knows how to deliver a wild story. I just hope it doesn't run into dev issues like Hills.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I’m cautiously optimistic…I’ll definitely play it eventually but reviews will make or break whether I buy it day 1 or on a deep discount. I wish they would’ve got a better studio to work on it, because it looks rough so far.

OG SH1/2 play fine on an emulator with cheats, it’s the only way I can stomach those games now

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Now to avoid spoilers… seems people like to openly post them since this is a remake.
You don't tell on the internet that you don't want to be spoiled young padawan, the evil me wants to dm you spoilers now

Food Bae GIF

• haha
Reactions: voke

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Looked like an 8/10. If they don't fuck around much with the story it should be fine.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
i just watched this video:

I'm impressed how this game is still relevant in the discussion of the medium as an art form and the countless video essays talking/ analyzing it and such things.

SH2 is regardless as an absolute masterpiece. I don't see the respect that it deserves from Konami/bloober

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t think the game needs to live and die by its visuals. The story is very solid and the gameplay will support it just as the original did. But I also don’t think it’s unfair to pull out the RE PS1 to RE GCN remake comparisons either. With a lot less to work with, Capcom was able to give RE1 a visual overhaul that served as an enhancement of what the original game started with.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Something looks off about it.

They might have improved the graphics but the art and feel of the game isn’t there.

Unfortunately it’s a problem with many remakes these days.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Looks like complete garbage to me, like a soulless student project on Unreal.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Janky and rough. It's like using some PS2 era CGI for some of the things. Will wait for reviews and tech analysis, unfortunately.