Sony are certifying a PlayStation VR2 PC adaptor

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Rumour has it that it will make the PSVR2 work as any other VR headset. Can't wait to play Beat Saber with custom songs.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It's an amazing device, Sony abandoned it instead of betting on it and ignoring their PC bullshit. I swear someone from Microsoft is calling the shots there.

Par for the course with Sony, they even abandoned the PSP which sold 80 million.

The Vita was never even given a fighting Chance by Sony

The Vita TV recieved no support

The PS Classic was sent out to die

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
PSVR2 is barely a year old and has 203 games available for it, but people will spread the narrative that it was "abandoned" lol.

Until Dawn is probably Sony's next big VR game.
Until Dawn is not releasing for VR, only PS5 and... PC.

Reactions: Box

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nice, I'm selling my quest and getting a PSVR2 then.

PC players will be able to play VR modded games on PSVR2 of Sony games that don't have it on PlayStation, what a failure. I bet a game like God of War is a great fit for third person VR yet Sony is to lazy to offer that type of experience.

Im curious to see how they will sell PSVR2 games
They'll sell them on Steam.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
It's seriously an amazing device.

Sony is a force to be reconned with in VR. They are innovative & will grow VR.

But if it's just not selling enough, than what's the point?

Hope the device succeeds and Sony keeps on releasing the devices.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It's seriously an amazing device.

Sony is a force to be reconned with in VR. They are innovative & will grow VR.

But if it's just not selling enough, than what's the point?

Hope the device succeeds and Sony keeps on releasing the devices.

I don't think Sony is too concerned with how much PSVR2 sells. Do they want to sell as much of the inventory as they can? Absolutely.

But the next step in VR for them is going to have to meet Meta on its own turf.

Wireless and it has to have its own independent games or it needs to be considerably cheaper. I have no idea how the Quest 3 is cheaper than the PSVR2 despite having its own processing and memory.

Sony has to take a very hard look at that. I think the sale it is currently on is probably a precursor to a price drop permanently to 400 or 450.

24 Jun 2022
PSVR2 is barely a year old and has 203 games available for it, but people will spread the narrative that it was "abandoned" lol.

Until Dawn is probably Sony's next big VR game.

The SEGA CD was around for 3 years and had 207 games. It didn't contribute much to the Genesis though (although it contributed a lot more than the 32X), and ultimately never got full software support from SEGA's 1P teams.

The PSVR2 isn't that much different; the vast majority of those 203 games are either ports or very old ports, and Sony's 1P teams by and large aren't supporting the headset. WRT realizing its peak potential, it has effectively been abandoned.

And what's more, the customer market has abandoned adoption of the headset, significantly more than they ever abandoned the SEGA CD.

Turning to PC for reinvigorating PSVR2 interest isn't a net negative, but there is much more Sony could have been adding to the VR experience for console owners, which they have not done and seem to have no plans to do. So it can be argued they are "abandoning" prioritizing console PSVR2 owners, when console owners would be the biggest drivers for headset adoption IF more genuine value (i.e not just more late ports) were being offered.

I would agree with you that one of those "genuine value" propositions is having a more affordable price (particularly considering the features PSVR2 can't provide even vs cheaper VR headsets such as media support). So the sale going on is a good step. Finding ways to make production both more compartmentalized and granular (so that cheaper VR variants can be produced out of the gate) will be critical for the PSVR3 line in the future.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The SEGA CD was around for 3 years and had 207 games. It didn't contribute much to the Genesis though (although it contributed a lot more than the 32X), and ultimately never got full software support from SEGA's 1P teams.
Just imagine if Sega had not released the 32x and the Sega CD, but had rather bet on making the Saturn the best it could be and developer friendly...

MiyazakiLovesKojima

The PSVR2 isn't that much different; the vast majority of those 203 games are either ports or very old ports, and Sony's 1P teams by and large aren't supporting the headset. WRT realizing its peak potential, it has effectively been abandoned.

And what's more, the customer market has abandoned adoption of the headset, significantly more than they ever abandoned the SEGA CD.

Turning to PC for reinvigorating PSVR2 interest isn't a net negative, but there is much more Sony could have been adding to the VR experience for console owners, which they have not done and seem to have no plans to do. So it can be argued they are "abandoning" prioritizing console PSVR2 owners, when console owners would be the biggest drivers for headset adoption IF more genuine value (i.e not just more late ports) were being offered.

I would agree with you that one of those "genuine value" propositions is having a more affordable price (particularly considering the features PSVR2 can't provide even vs cheaper VR headsets such as media support). So the sale going on is a good step. Finding ways to make production both more compartmentalized and granular (so that cheaper VR variants can be produced out of the gate) will be critical for the PSVR3 line in the future.
They could easily port the PSVR1 catalogue to the PSVR2 💅

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Vr2 flopped pretty hard, hopefully it gets a second life on PC
They should’ve followed Meta Quest model.

High price premium model $550 & low price standard model $300

My mom has a Quest 2 just cause it was $300 & a safe investment to make even if f she didn’t like it loosing $300 for a headset is not as bad as loosing $550. Also the low price standard model should’ve been cordless to make it more accessible