Sony: Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024.5.23 | Business Segment Meeting

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
TBF the Paramount rumors are floating around ATM too so "Sony"s biggest M&A yet could not even be really gaming-related.

Personally I'd rather a big gaming M&A from them if were forced to choose between that or something like Paramount, but then again I usually try avoiding M&A speculation in general.
I only shared what I heard. But this rumor is from last year. Navtra definitely said non Movie industry, and she is sure it's based in Japan. Well it doesn't need to be a Games pub, could be something like Nexon...
Well I do hope it's one of the beloved pubs we mentioned.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I only shared what I heard. But this rumor is from last year. Navtra definitely said non Movie industry, and she is sure it's based in Japan. Well it doesn't need to be a Games pub, could be something like Nexon...
Well I do hope it's one of the beloved pubs we mentioned.

Not sure when you heard this but if it was last year, acquisitions don't really tend to take that long. If there was a specific company targeted, you wouldn't say, we're going to announce this is 6+ months.

And things change all the time, for example, Paramount becoming available.

If Sony was actually planning on buying a Japanese company the most obvious would be Kadokawa and/or FromSoftware.

But I'm not sure whether or not that purchase could really be justified to Totoki or whether they would make a move that large without a CEO present. Nothing says Totoki has to be CEO for the whole year, but there's also nothing that states that Sony can't extend his time as CEO of SIE either, though I think that would be considered a failure on his part.

It would make more sense given that FromSoftware is now the sole-owner of Elden Ring though.

Elden Ring
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne

You could probably live without owning Sekiro or Dark Souls

Given that bluepoint could probably help them pump out games faster, it makes some sense at least, but I also don't think Elden Ring 2 will be anywhere near as successful as the first one.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
People suggesting Square Enix because it’s the obvious choice. Also that argument „If you buy a company, you also take over their problems“ is utter nonsense.
Wtf? Of course you do.

An example of this is Microsoft inheriting the Redfall and Starfield issues from Zenimax, they came up with the wrong solutions on at one of the two situations if not both. But both games were deep into development by the time they bought Zenimax.

Sony has now basically taken over the Destiny 2 profitability issues as well.

Takeovers have costs that go beyond just cash, look at how Embracer got fucked and how Microsoft and Sony are feeling pain rn.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Wtf? Of course you do.

An example of this is Microsoft inheriting the Redfall and Starfield issues from Zenimax, they came up with the wrong solutions on at one of the two situations if not both. But both games were deep into development by the time they bought Zenimax.

Takeovers have costs that go beyond just cash, look at how Embracer got fucked and how Microsoft and Sony are feeling pain rn.
Sony will probably sell Bungie. They are not satisfied with them. Hence why Totoki critised them openly in public.
Anyway this is not an argument for any Corporation, to not acquire another Company.
Again every Company has its own issues and debt, which is totally normal. Just saying if Sony has an opportunity they would buy be it either Square, Sega or whoever it would be.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony will probably sell Bungie. They are not satisfied with them. Hence why Totoki critised them openly in public.
Anyway this is not an argument for any Corporation, to not acquire another Company.
Again every Company has its own issues and debt, which is totally normal. Just saying if Sony has an opportunity they would buy be it either Square, Sega or whoever it would be.
I doubt they will sell Bungie. No one would buy in this market.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024

Starting to wonder how old you are.

Sony isn't going to sell Bungie.

Go check out the top sellers on Steam and PS Store. Final Shape comes out in June and has extremely good reception so far via the trailer. 2 million views in 4 days, 35K likes to 1.2K dislikes... It'll probably do pretty well. Then they have Marathon coming out next year.

They'll ultimately be judged on the quality of those releases more than anything they've done up til now since Sony bought them.

Beyond silly to suggest that Sony would sell a company they just bought for 3.6 billion dollars because one expansion pack undersold and they had to delay a couple of titles. As if they've never delayed games from internal studios. God of War Ragnarok was delayed a whole year. In fact Sony Santa Monica was in rough shape for a bit after the release of God of War Ascension and the cancellation of a new IP that eventually lead them to serious layoffs. All of which lead to God of War 2018, which was the most successful title in the studios history, by far. This was followed by as I mentioned ragnarok being delayed due to covid. God of War 3 on PS3 was ALSO delayed. You know what. Sony needs to sell Santa Monica...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Lol, Destiny 2 has no profitability issues at all. Even being almost 7 years old it generates hundreds of millions per year.

Out of all the games in SIE history, it must be the one who generated the biggest amount of revenue and profit.

Embracer didn't get fucked because of a takeover. They got fucked because they were going to have a huge investment (rumored to be from the Saudi family) they were counting with, but at the deal failed. The thing is they were sure that were going to receive that money so spent a lot of money counting with it before they received it, which was a big mistake.

Sony is not receiving any pain from acquisitions. Like any acquisitions, there are some related post acquisitions costs, like retention bonuses, hirings to grow the studios, new offices stuff and so on. It's stuff they already had planned not an issue at all.

Regarding MS yes, we knew ABK in terms of finantials did a great job but they had internal issues with management, tons of key people having left the company, several projects in development hell, etc. Plus Bethesda, we knew they weren't on their prime since while ago, also lost important key staff, their games took forever and when released weren't as good and successful as should, etc.

The budgets of Starfield (over 4000 people on its game credits) or Diablo IV (over 9000 people on its game credits) must have been retardedly high. Definetively MS has stuff to address there.

They won't, it's the most successful team they have. It would be super retarded. They are generating hundreds of millions per year with Destiny 2, are supporting, helping etc. the other GaaS and the teaser of their upcoming game broke records.

Bungie now has around twice the people they had when the acquisition was announced. Sony wouldn't have grow them that much if they weren't happy with them.

What Totoki said about Bungie is the same any finantials/business executive would say about any gamedev studio. He got asked about Bungie and he said very creative, talented and passitionate folks but should improve regarding achieving milestones and budgeting. Basically the description of any dev team, he just got too honest.

Beyond silly to suggest that Sony would sell a company they just bought for 3.6 billion dollars because one expansion pack undersold and they had to delay a couple of titles.
Yes. And on top of this we should see what is true in the rumor of the expansion underperforming, because the game kept making a huge chunk of money. Maybe the expansion didn't achieve their forecast (in case of being true) for the first months but still had great numbers.

In any case, it's a project in almost sunseting stage. Their more important stuff would be the new projects they have in the works, like the new games plus the movie/tv adaptations in addition to the support and knowledge they provide to the other GaaS teams.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Destiny’s recovery already happening. It’s a predictable cycle at this point with them. A lot of work was put into turning it around two months before expansion and anecdotal tracking of digital storefronts for current best sellers and for pre- orders shows consumers are there too.

stage is set for final shape to make a huge splash

Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Destiny’s recovery already happening. It’s a predictable cycle at this point with them. A lot of work was put into turning it around two months before expansion and anecdotal tracking of digital storefronts for current best sellers and for pre- orders shows consumers are there too.

stage is set for final shape to make a huge splash

What I've learned is the people saying Sony should sell Bungie, do not care how much money Final Shape makes. They do no care how successful Marathon is. They're just pissed that Sony didn't buy a Japanese company. So you'll never convince them that Bungie was a good buy or that Sony shouldn't sell them.