Sony files A New Patent For A Smell-O-Vision-Like Feature That Could Simulate In-Game Odors Using Fragrances Triggered By Certain Gameplay Moments.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony recently filed a patent for a new video game feature that could simulate in-game odors, not unlike the infamous Smell-O-Vision systems of old. Sony has made efforts to increase player immersion in video games during the PlayStation 5 era, thanks to the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback and the console’s 3D audio support. These features allow players to feel different in-game sensations using different controller vibrations and have sounds occur around them as if they are actually inside their favorite first-party PS5 title.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Sony recently filed a patent for a new video game feature that could simulate in-game odors, not unlike the infamous Smell-O-Vision systems of old. Sony has made efforts to increase player immersion in video games during the PlayStation 5 era, thanks to the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback and the console’s 3D audio support. These features allow players to feel different in-game sensations using different controller vibrations and have sounds occur around them as if they are actually inside their favorite first-party PS5 title.
You filthy pervert, I know how you want this implemented.

amanda cerny shimmy GIF by Facebook

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Kojima, is that you?

For reference:

I wanted to plant gimmicks and surprises in the game even when replacing the disc. This is the story (it wasn’t implemented) I told you some time ago. Going to a murder scene in “Snatcher”. Floppy disks get hot from the heat inside the PC. So I printed a dying message on the surface of the disk using paint that changes color with heat (mixed with iron). When you smell blood and pull out the disk, you see the message.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Isn't this immersion play more suited to VR somehow and not the controller?

Shouldn't Sony be trying to flog me a haptics suite and a blood scented fragrance tin the headset spritzes when I get shot and the suit vibrates; or something like that?