Sony files new patent for backwards compatibility

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
This-Patent-Might-Have-Just-Confirmed-PS3-Backward-Compatibility-On-PS5-1068x601.webp

Sony and Mark Cerny, the architect behind PS4 and PS5, might finally be cracking the code on one of the PlayStation community’s longest-running desires: PS3 backward compatibility on the PS5. A newly found patent could be the key to making this dream a reality.

The patent, titled “Backward Compatibility Testing of Software in a Mode That Attempts to Induce Skew,” outlines a sophisticated method for ensuring older software runs smoothly on newer hardware.

PS3-backward-compatibility-jpg.webp

The patent describes a system where a device (in this case, presumably the PS5) can run in a special “timing testing mode.” This mode is designed to deliberately induce skew—basically, creating timing variations that might mess with how software runs.

Think of it as a stress test for old games, making sure they can handle the new environment without breaking a sweat.

Source

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
I guess I missed the part when Sly Cooper came out on pc. Or any of the ps1 games they released

Technically games like Wipeout and even Twisted Metal 1 did get PC ports back in the day. But they were few and far between. Probably like 5% of SIE's total output that gen got PC ports, maybe 10% if you include Psygnosis games (City of Lost Children, for example).

A stark contrast to the 80% or so that's been the case this generation :/

Don't forget about PC as well, it even says "computer program". :ROFLMAO:

Eh in this case I think it's probably with the console (whether PS5, PS5 Pro or PS6 who knows) and maybe their rumored handheld.

Although it'll be funny if the main drive for this is built-in emulation for older PS games on PC for PS+ on a PC Launcher 😂

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I guess I missed the part when Sly Cooper came out on pc. Or any of the ps1 games they released
You could say the same about the vast majority of Sony games just a few years ago, things change. PS5 doesn't even have PS3 backwards compatibility so there is no way of knowing where they plan to release these games (if they ever do).

I would not put it past them to start caring more about backwards compatibility because they want to include it on PS+ for PC (just like it happened with so many unnecessary remasters and remakes recently).

Last edited:

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
You could say the same about the vast majority of Sony games just a few years ago, things change. PS5 doesn't even have PS3 backwards compatibility so there is no way of knowing where they plan to release these games (if they ever do).

I would not put it past them to start caring more about backwards compatibility because they want to include it on PS+ for PC (just like it happened with so many unnecessary remasters and remakes recently).
To be fair, if PS3 cloud streaming on premium is still gonna a perk for the foreseeable future and those PS3 Sever blades go bad, they are going to have to come up with another solution.
Either once those PS3 server blades go bad they remove those PS3 games from PS Plus Premium or use emulation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
To be fair, if PS3 cloud streaming on premium is still gonna a perk for the foreseeable future and those PS3 Sever blades go bad, they are going to have to come up with another solution.
Either once those PS3 server blades go bad they remove those PS3 games from PS Plus Premium or use emulation.
Exactly.
Probably they don't produce Cell anymore and if any goes down the PS3 cloud streaming will be affected until they basically have to end de service.
I see that patent to somehow they test if everything gone right when they migrate these PS3 hardware to x86 emulation in Cloud streaming.

People are too focused in PS5 that sometimes forget Sony has others business where these patents are used.
In fact most patents posted since the forum was born was not used by Sony yet and probably some will never be used... having a patent doesn't mean it is practical or that it will be used.

The OP patent is one to make emulation tests easier and faster... even if Sony implements PS3 emulation that patent could end not being used... plus there are others emulations that Sony can or not use it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I know, to me it's unbelievable that they relied on actual PS3 hardware for this long. I wouldn't be surprised if they just removed them.

One of the best justifications for PC ports of everything was to expand their cloud service and make it more efficient but so far it doesn't look like that was the plan at all. It doesn't seem like their strategies are ever formulated thinking in the long term, they seem to just do as little as possible when it is required.

Instead of working all along on proper emulation they'll either try to rush it now or just skip it all together.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Don't forget about PC as well, it even says "computer program". :ROFLMAO:
No way sony would release an official ps3 emulator on pc. No game that currently exists officially on PC uses an emulator for anything more powerful than the PS1. PS2 and above has always received native ports. If Sony had interest in this we would have them officially releasing their games through an official ps1/ps2 emulator already.
This is most likely PS5 specific and will only be relevant for BC PSN releases. I know you said things change, but new games are still releasing via emulation on PS5 (see Daxter via the PS5's PSP emulator recently for example). I'm not saying its impossible, and I know you're a cynic, but I really wouldn't expect this. Every piece of software is a "computer program".

You know me well enough by now that I'd be delighted by the idea of an official PS3 emulator on PC, but I'd be more expectant of more native ports from Sony on that front, not emulation. Besides, considering how the current emulators work on PS5, I doubt it'd work much better than RPCS3 already does.

• angry
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No way sony would release an official ps3 emulator on pc. No game that currently exists officially on PC uses an emulator for anything more powerful than the PS1. PS2 and above has always received native ports. If Sony had interest in this we would have them officially releasing their games through an official ps1/ps2 emulator already.
This is most likely PS5 specific and will only be relevant for BC PSN releases. I know you said things change, but new games are still releasing via emulation on PS5 (see Daxter via the PS5's PSP emulator recently for example). I'm not saying its impossible, and I know you're a cynic, but I really wouldn't expect this. Every piece of software is a "computer program".

You know me well enough by now that I'd be delighted by the idea of an official PS3 emulator on PC, but I'd be more expectant of more native ports from Sony on that front, not emulation. Besides, considering how the current emulators work on PS5, I doubt it'd work much better than RPCS3 already does.
Assuming that just because it hasn't happened yet it won't happen would've lead you to believe 4 years ago that Sony would never be porting all their games to PC.

Everything Sony does from now on will most likelly involve PC, even PSVR2 is getting PC support.