Sony files patent for a controller that can change temperature and deform

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony has submitted a new patent that focuses on further improving the haptics on its controllers. The patent shows a device that’s partly made with a material that’s softer than hard plastic.

According to the filing, this material is elastic and deformable, like a “silicone-based macromolecular gel” or other types of elastic substances. Additionally, this material would be able to receive electrical signals via a connected circuit that processes information. Sony states that using this invention would provide a “controller capable of enriching haptic experiences.”

Arguably, the more surprising reveal here is the fact that this elastic gel could be used to convey temperature changes in a game.

For example, say you’re playing a game where there are different environments. If you crossed into a particularly cold territory, like tundra, information would be sent to the controller to make your hands feel cool.

Before you get too excited, it’s important to mention this patent isn’t a guarantee that this controller will be coming to store shelves. Sony has plenty of patents that have never seen the light of day. For example, back in 2020, a patent was found for a controller that could collect biofeedback, like sweat and heart rate, to change the player’s gameplay experience.

Sony-controller-patent.jpg.webp

Sony-controller-patent-2.jpg.webp

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Neat. I would immediately disable it, along with other obnoxious controller features, though. Holy shit I played about two minutes of the Okami rerelease before having to search the options for the "knock that shit off" switch.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I hope it comes with a better battery this time around.
Great point. I think it's a good idea to add these kind of features, as was all the new DualSense stuff, but I think Sony has to do something with batteries to ensure they last for way longer. And obviously adding more and more thing will drain batteries faster.

I think a battery charge should last at least maybe 10 or 20 hours of usage. But well, adding bigger batteries, like adding new features, will also increase the price. As would happen with improving quality of sticks of buttons to ensure to avoid drifting or buttons malfuntioning (stuck etc). And well, pads are also aready too expensive. Though decision to keep a good balance.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Great point. I think it's a good idea to add these kind of features, as was all the new DualSense stuff, but I think Sony has to do something with batteries to ensure they last for way longer. And obviously adding more and more thing will drain batteries faster.

I think a battery charge should last at least maybe 10 or 20 hours of usage. But well, adding bigger batteries, like adding new features, will also increase the price. As would happen with improving quality of sticks of buttons to ensure to avoid drifting or buttons malfuntioning (stuck etc). And well, pads are also aready too expensive. Though decision to keep a good balance.
Right now I get some external battery extender that is made to hook on the DS5 and it works... Sony should have put that extra battery inside, I'm fairly sure that the current price of the controllers allow for it.

D

Deleted member 223

Wont be the Dualsense 2 due to all the mechanical components the current dualsense already has that's for sure.