Sony is hiring coders for emulators again

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
System software development (system development with program compatibility between different architectures)

■Job Description(Roles & Responsibilities)
We develop a system that allows programs developed for our entertainment game machines to be executed on game machines with different architectures. Specifically, we will be able to run many game titles developed for PlayStation on a system with a new architecture.
This system is required to have a mechanism to facilitate failure analysis when a problem occurs.

■Organization/workplace introduction
I am in charge of research and development of the OS kernel and program development environment that are the foundation that supports the system software for our entertainment game devices and the game development platform/SDK.
Developing unique technology specializing in our entertainment game machines is one of the core technologies that support tens of millions of machines in operation, and is a very rewarding job.
Regarding software development, in addition to formulating specifications, in-house personnel are actively creating programs.
You will also have the opportunity to communicate with domestic and international game developers through the technical support teams of other departments. There is also a lot of interaction with engineers from other departments. Overall, it's a frank workplace.

■Required skills and technical areas/Skills and Qualifications
【必須(MUST)】
  • Experience in program development using C/C++ language
  • Familiarity with recent major CPU architectures
    • Experience with assembly language development for one or more of these architectures
  • Familiar with JIT/AOT technology
  • Reading/writing ability at a level that allows you to read technical documents in English and have discussions with overseas developers.

[Welcome (WANT)]
  • Knowledge of the structure and implementation of major game engines such as Unity and UnrealEngine.
  • I have experience in developing game programs.
  • Ability to have verbal technical discussions with English speakers
https://boards.greenhouse.io/siei/jobs/5164462004

P.S.: As can be seen here, they also continue hiring at Team Asobi and XDEV Japan.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd bet we'll see PS Classics running natively on PC, PS Portal or mobile. This job offer, unlike the previous ones related to emulation, it's for Japan and not for US.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'd bet we'll see PS Classics running natively on PC, PS Portal or mobile. This job offer, unlike the previous ones related to emulation, it's for Japan and not for US.

Nothing really runs natively on PS Portal. It doesn't have internal storage enough to really do that. Even if an emulator is built for it as someone was able to hack it and accomplish it, it doesn't have enough storage.

It would run via cloud, which this could certainly be pertaining to.

We're in the really early phases of SIE supporting PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and other platforms. So anyone's guess is as good as anything as to what this actually pertains to.

Getting PS Classics running on PC may be a way to entice a lot of people to use the PS PC Store or Mobile Store.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Maybe in 5 years time, Sony is drip feeding us these games at a snails pace.

For now I'll just enjoy ps2 games on PCSX2, 4k with CRT filters and save states