Sony just announced MENA Hero Project (Middle East/North Africa)

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Thoughts?

It's good to see Sony expanding this fast to other countries... I wonder which place is next! 👀

@Bryank75 @Sircaw @Gediminas Can you guys please remove the extra "just" in the title and add the word "North" to the part where it says "/Africa"? Thanks!

This is great.
Helps Searching new talent, new games, expand to new markets.
Massive win for gaming.

Reactions: YeezyDude

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it makes sense and it's a good idea because like in the case of India or China, even if MENA is a small region for PS it's one of the fastest selling regions for gaming revenue:

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-region.png

I see they avoided to include several MENA countries like Algeria, Iran, Israel, Syria, Yemen etc., maybe to avoid geopolitical issues between these countries or with USA, Israel and Morocco. It's a complex region with several huge rivalries or (some latent) wars with neighbor countries.

I assume that the next one will be LATAM Hero Project, since it's other region with small revenue but huge growth and in their case with a great indie scene with many cool indie games and teams.

I think there's a lot of potential to get nice indies from MENA and LATAM and to increase their SIE business there.

PS.: MENA means Middle East & North Africa, while the graph I added also includes the rest of Africa (in case of gaming most African revenue comes from MENA countries + South Africa).

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Political stability is also of importance and I am surprised they havn't done ME earlier in the rich countries. A lot of (international) talent, wealth and potential whales.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony and Latin America must be the most toxic relationship ever. One side gives it all with almost football club /religious levels of fanboyism (LATAM) and the other barely acknowledges him (Sony)

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I was gonna say meh again but with how their Chinese and Korean partnerships are going and how they were able to get into those markets at the right time, I'm gonna say good this time.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think it makes sense and it's a good idea because like in the case of India or China, even if MENA is a small region for PS it's one of the fastest selling regions for gaming revenue:

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-region.png

I see they avoided to include several MENA countries like Algeria, Iran, Israel, Syria, Yemen etc., maybe to avoid geopolitical issues between these countries or with USA, Israel and Morocco. It's a complex region with several huge rivalries or (some latent) wars with neighbor countries.

I assume that the next one will be LATAM Hero Project, since it's other region with small revenue but huge growth and in their case with a great indie scene with many cool indie games and teams.

I think there's a lot of potential to get nice indies from MENA and LATAM and to increase their SIE business there.

PS.: MENA means Middle East & North Africa, while the graph I added also includes the rest of Africa (in case of gaming most African revenue comes from MENA countries + South Africa).
Israel is usually included with Europe. So it's out of this.
The other 3 countries are sanctioned by USA so they are out by default.
Not sure about Algeria though.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Thanks for fixing that thread title.
Hopefully Japan.
I've given this some thought and I think the logistics of Japan make investing in AAA game studios more of a challenge then in the west. Japan has had a near zero interest rate for a decade and now it just moved up to only .25%. Near 0% interest rates in the west would certainly incite a very huge gaming boom. Why isn't this happening in Japan? Do they not have an entrepreneural spirit like the west? We are always hearing how former devs of a prestigious studio formed their own independent studio. You'd think it would be the same way in Japan with that near 0% interest rate makes getting a business loan pretty easy. All you need is a few racks in the bank and a good credit score. It's like people in Japan are only allowed to work for corporate working 16 hour days wtf.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Israel is usually included with Europe. So it's out of this.
The other 3 countries are sanctioned by USA so they are out by default.
Regarding which specific countries are counted as MENA, there is no standard. There are many countries like Israel that sometimes are included and sometimes aren't:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_and_North_Africa

But when deciding if they are part of Europe, Asia or Africa the division is more clear since there's pretty much a consensus that the Mediterranean, Aegian, Black and Caspian seas, plus the Caucasus and Ural mountains are the borders of Europe. Meaning, Israel is in Asia, never is included as Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_the_continents
Continents_vide_couleurs.png

Europe:
800px-Europe_orthographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary_%28with_borders%29.svg.png

Africa:

800px-Africa_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Asia:
800px-Asia_%28orthographic_projection%29_without_New_Guinea.svg.png

Not sure about Algeria though.
Morocco is a close ally of USA and (in recent years) Israel too. Algeria is next to Morocco, not in war with them but almost. They hate each other and constantly fucking each other.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Regarding which specific countries are counted as MENA, there is no standard. There are many countries like Israel that sometimes are included and sometimes aren't:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_and_North_Africa

But when deciding if they are part of Europe, Asia or Africa the division is more clear since there's pretty much a consensus that the Mediterranean, Aegian, Black and Caspian seas, plus the Caucasus and Ural mountains are the borders of Europe. Meaning, Israel is in Asia, never is included as Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_the_continents
Continents_vide_couleurs.png

Europe:
800px-Europe_orthographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary_%28with_borders%29.svg.png

Africa:

800px-Africa_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Asia:
800px-Asia_%28orthographic_projection%29_without_New_Guinea.svg.png

Morocco is a close ally of USA and (in recent years) Israel too. Algeria is next to Morocco, not in war with them but almost. They hate each other and constantly fucking each other.
We aren't talking geography, we're talking business and in many business/political groupings Israel is lumped in with Europe due to most arab/muslim countries refusing to work with them.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We aren't talking geography, we're talking business and in many business/political groupings Israel is lumped in with Europe due to most arab/muslim countries refusing to work with them.
Like it or not we're talking about geography because business, politics or whatever geographical regions are obviously based in geography. Israel is in Middle East / Western Asia for them too.

In terms of business sometimes they use EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) as region too. That includes Europe and Israel, but also all the other arab, muslim and Asian or African countries of that region too.

There are jews / in some cases zionists who play a key role in the economy / banking system / hedge funds / some top companies in different areas etc. of Europe and USA, so in many areas Israel is an ally for them. And when in 1948 Israel was created it was populated with colonizer jews mostly from Europe. But that doesn't make Israel being in North America or Europe, it's still in Asia / the Middle East.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Like it or not we're talking about geography because business, politics or whatever geographical regions are obviously based in geography. Israel is in Middle East / Western Asia for them too.

In terms of business sometimes they use EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) as region too. That includes Europe and Israel, but also all the other arab, muslim and Asian or African countries of that region too.

There are jews / in some cases zionists who play a key role in the economy / banking system / hedge funds / some top companies in different areas etc. of Europe and USA, so in many areas Israel is an ally for them. And when in 1948 Israel was created it was populated with colonizer jews mostly from Europe. But that doesn't make Israel being in North America or Europe, it's still in Asia / the Middle East.
In one ear and out the other...

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
It will be great to get more stories from these areas. In the Middle East, we mainly have Aladdin and the Arabian Nights storiesthat seeped into worldwide culture so we might see less popular stories. Apart from Egypt, we hardly have anything else from Africa to be honest. Wukong is an example of mining local culture successfully for entertainment. Sadly western culture seems to rely too much on sequels and established IP. There is no real risk taken anymore.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I was gonna say meh again but with how their Chinese and Korean partnerships are going and how they were able to get into those markets at the right time, I'm gonna say good this time.
We will have to see how the devs in the previous partnerships will hold though. Microsoft is slowly worming their way into those that blew up in playstations partnership. So we will half to see if they continue honoring that or start to fall to Microsofts money bag.

Definitely nice to see Sony is trying to help the little guys out.

OP
OP
YeezyDude

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
This is great.
Helps Searching new talent, new games, expand to new markets.
Massive win for gaming.
The more the better indeed!

I hope other places will be part of "Hero" project thing... Like Australia, New Zealand, some other countries in EU, Latin America etc.!

Reactions: Gediminas