Sony Patent Aims To Change Game Difficulty In Real Time As You Play

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1702827876048.png

Sony recently published a patent that describes an innovative technology that would amend the difficulty in a game in real time, adapting to the player’s abilities on the fly.

It’s not a concept that’s completely unheard of in gaming, but Sony’s patent speaks of enhancing or making more elegant what already exists.

Tailored To You​

It’s the ‘Adaptive Difficulty Calibration For Skills-Based Activities In Virtual Environments’, and it uses graceful algorithms to assess how a user is playing and dealing with certain mechanics, elements, and circumstances.

It will then adjust the difficulty by making those elements harder or easier to handle to encourage the player to stay engaged for longer, avoiding frustration or a feeling that a game is just too easy.

Instead of picking a traditional difficulty setting, the algorithms detailed in the patent would be dynamic, offering every player a tailored experience that’s best suited to them.

It would make it almost impossible for an outsider to gauge how difficult a game is before they buy it, as it would ultimately be different for everyone.

Sony’s patent documentation references a string of parameters that would be impacted by this technology, including character strength, enemy spawn rates, enemy skill, and movement speed.

Again, it’s not unheard of and it could be aligned quite closely with SBMM or ‘EOMM’.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Terrible, I'd get very annoyed by that.

I want to adjust settings myself and know exactly what I beat a game on. I don't think many gamers will like this....taking control away.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Vast majority of these patents never actually get used.
We know that but for every comment we see like this some do get used e.g. portal, Haptic, Kraken, etc all were patents we saw online well before they were implemented. All followed with "most patents don't get used" which at this point gamers as enthusiasts in this forum know.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Adaptative difficulty was an existing thing in many past games. I think that what is different here is that instead of looking at your performance in that single game, it takes into consideration your performance in previous games and stores them somewhere.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Terrible, I'd get very annoyed by that.

I want to adjust settings myself and know exactly what I beat a game on. I don't think many gamers will like this....taking control away.
I think that will be an extra option called adaptive difficulty. They won't force it on you. However, I don't see anything new about it. Most games can detect your performance, but they ask you if you want to change difficulty or not. I am surprised no developer have added this kind of adaptive difficulty yet.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Adaptative difficulty was an existing thing in many past games. I think that what is different here is that instead of looking at your performance in that single game, it takes into consideration your performance in previous games and stores them somewhere.
Thts state it's an evolution of existing/, similar tech so yes.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lol, your Playstation thinks you're a bitch.

FWIW, individual games have been doing this for over 20 years now. RE4's original release did it and I think Metroid Prime did too but don't quote me on that last one.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Awful. Sometimes I wonder if these people ever played a game and enjoyed it.

The sad part is this type of mechanic can already be seen in a bunch of games.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Awful. Sometimes I wonder if these people ever played a game and enjoyed it.

The sad part is this type of mechanic can already be seen in a bunch of games.
They are the ones crying or taking feedback that Souls games are to hard.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They are the ones crying or taking feedback that Souls games are to hard.
Without ever playing it is my guess.

I do think that a lot gamedevs don't play games and it's pretty obvious. At the very least they seem to clearly play a lot less than the average game enthusiat.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

It exists in online games with skill based matchmaking and everyone hates it. You go well in a few rounds and it puts you in lobbies with a bunch of sweaty no lifers.