Not open for further replies.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Sony Interactive Entertainment has patented an interesting PS5 gameplay replay system that presents “what if” scenarios to players who are interested in finding out what the outcome of their actions would have been had they chosen to do something different. The patent, which was spotted by OPAttack, doesn’t mention competitive gaming but the examples provided in the application seems to suggest that this gameplay replay system was designed with esports in mind.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Wait, eSports in mind? How?

I was thinking Life Is Strange/Prince Of Persia ''rewind'' system, prevent loading screen after death?

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I'm fine with the rewind option on the PS1 classics. The amount of time saved playing some longish loading games. Fuck that.

The article sounds like a mini tutorial appears when you fail. I'd rather a rewind and try again sans lecture.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Reminded me of a feature they have in Guilty Gear Accent Core +R I heard about where you can pause any of your replays and take control. Insanely valuable as a learning tool in fighting games, how nobody else has done this yet is beyond me.

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Sony Interactive Entertainment has patented an interesting PS5 gameplay replay system that presents “what if” scenarios to players who are interested in finding out what the outcome of their actions would have been had they chosen to do something different. The patent, which was spotted by OPAttack, doesn’t mention competitive gaming but the examples provided in the application seems to suggest that this gameplay replay system was designed with esports in mind.
E-sports?! Ok...

epic fail GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I was thinking Life Is Strange/Prince Of Persia ''rewind'' system, prevent loading screen after death?
E-sports?! Ok...
Reminded me of a feature they have in Guilty Gear Accent Core +R I heard about where you can pause any of your replays and take control. Insanely valuable as a learning tool in fighting games, how nobody else has done this yet is beyond me.

The patent doesn't mention anyting related to eSports or rewind feature.

It's to create AI generated hints after analyzing a portion of your gameplay, mostly to help you when you get stuck or show you different/more successful outputs if you'd have taken other decisions.

Imagine things like "use fire arrows against ice enemies, they are more effective than the other ones you're using" in GoW, or in GT "these other wheels have a higher grip so will help you when it's raining like in this event" or "take this shortcut" or "you have to press the brake before in tihs curve" in a Wipeout or Motorstorm game.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The patent doesn't mention anyting related to eSports or rewind feature.

It's to create AI generated hints after analyzing a portion of gameplay, mostly to help you when you get stuck or show you different/more successful outputs if you'd have taken other decisions.

Imagine things like "use fire arrows against ice enemies, they are more effective than the other ones you're using" in GoW, or in GT "these other wheels have a higher grip so will help you when it's raining like in this event" or "take this shortcut" in a Wipeout or Motorstorm game.
Imagine having FromSoftware use this tech where after you die in the next Souls game, it just says "git gud"

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

You can replay with another option loading the save again.

That patent is to something more dynamic where there is no save in time… like what if I did a Shoryuken instead Hadouken ;)

It is a very complex stuff.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
You can replay with another option loading the save again.

That patent is to something more dynamic where there is no save in time… like what if I did a Shoryuken instead Hadouken ;)

It is a very complex stuff.
It.. almost sounds like a training mode strategy tool inside a game. I could see lots of FGC content created from it.

Reactions: ethomaz

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sorry, im still confused. Is this essentially a refined version of PS5 card hints and tips, autogenerated in-game instead?

Or is this like a save editor, where we can apply different statuses to a portion of gameplay, then save it and share as a verticle slice gameplay challenge to fellow PS friends/mine for YouTube content all relating back to the PS console/Sharefactory create button community?

I think this is the thing I read about years back and mistook for my idea in the 2nd paragrah, which probably isnt in Sony's vision. But I think should be.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sorry, im still confused. Is this essentially a refined version of PS5 card hints and tips, autogenerated in-game instead?

Or is this like a save editor, where we can apply different statuses to a portion of gameplay, then save it and share as a verticle slice gameplay challenge to fellow PS friends/mine for YouTube content all relating back to the PS console/Sharefactory create button community?

I think this is the thing I read about years back and mistook for my idea in the 2nd paragrah, which probably isnt in Sony's vision. But I think should be.
It is neither of these.

It works like that... you recorded you gameplay and in some point you want to know "what if" I used a Shoryuken instead a Hadoken... the machine AI will generate an outcome to that different choice.

That can be applied to all genres... like in a FPS you have two enemy targets in your front... you choose to kill one first and have the results in real time... after you decide to watch and ask "what if" I choose to shot the other target first? The machine AI will generate an outcome for that "what if".

It is pretty helpful for training and learning of Pro players... so it is to be used in eSports.
You train your brain to usually choose the best option in a stressful realtime scenario like a final Championship.

PS. The patent changes how the real time gameplay is recorded because it needs more information (like of all players in the map, how they are usually moving, what ammo/item they have, weapons avaiable, etc etc etc) to after simulate these "outcomes" of different choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.