(Updated) Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Oh god please not.
Edit: Seems like a joint venture buy. But still this would devour massively budget. For gods sake Sony, acquire someone like Square Enix or Sega, of which Sony as entire Corporation would benefit!
Another Video Game bubble dweller. Sony can focus on gaming while still focusing on their movie division. Sony Pictures needs IPs. If this were to go through, they would own Star Trek, TMNT, SpongeBob, Transformers, etc. They could even make a TMNT and Star Trek video game.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Another Video Game bubble dweller. Sony can focus on gaming while still focusing on their movie division. Sony Pictures needs IPs. If this were to go through, they would own Star Trek, TMNT, SpongeBob, Transformers, etc. They could even make a TMNT and Star Trek video game.
Star Trek is dead, and even then it's co-owned by CBS. Transformers is a Hasbro property.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What an absolute stupid move. Like I said all along they don't believe in games/PlayStation and see everything else Sony does as superior and more important.

Worst Sony CEO ever, PlayStarion is about to be killed.

This is the type of move accountants would make, like another Warner+Discovery nonsense.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Potential $9 billion dollar acquisition for Sony pictures but PS gets like $4 billion for a dysfunctional studio like bungie. If this goes through the whole "Acquisitions costs will relieve next fiscal year" will go out the window.
Investing in movies... with nobody going to theathers anymore, a single viable streaming service in Netflix, insignificant market for BR sales.

Meanwhile people are willing to drop $70 on a single game, buy their closed hardware, pay a more expensive subscription, buy their accessories... complete morons unable to recognize their own strength. PlayStation deserves to go the way of Xbox.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Oh god please not.
Edit: Seems like a joint venture buy. But still this would devour massively budget. For gods sake Sony, acquire someone like Square Enix or Sega, of which Sony as entire Corporation would benefit!
Fr buying Square or Sega would give them ownership of the ip & games studio which is more important imo & a better buy also for far less both Square & Sega are worth less then 5 billion while Paramount is near 10 billion.

Kadokawa/Fromsoft would be a better buy to produce media Fromsoft has there own transformer w the mecha games plus Fromsoft now owns the Elden Ring ip.

What are the top 5 Paramount ip that Sony can translate to cross media & games

1. Transformer
2. TMNT
3. SpongeBob
4. Star Streck/South Park

Eh I think owning Final Fantasy, Neir, Dragon Quest or Sonic & Persona would hold more value since there already established in games so translating to media is much easier then buying Paramount & translating media into games that aren’t established in gaming.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
What an absolute stupid move. Like I said all along they don't believe in games/PlayStation and see everything else Sony does as superior and more important.

This is the type of move accountants would make, like another Warner+Discovery nonsense.
Absolute nonsense, as always. There's plenty of money in the coffers.

• brain
Reactions: Say1nMan

MiyazakiLovesKojima

PlayStation as we knew it is dead. Just move on from them 💅

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Spongbob & Star Steck won’t or are dead ip that won’t translate to games or is a risk to further invest in cross media. The only notable ip is Transformer & TMNT & Paramount doesn’t own Transformer instead Hasbro does? Or at the very least Hasbro co own Transformer w Paramount

The only noticeable ip would come from Nickelodeon which has been going down in popularity & itself don’t have any major ip outside SpongeBob.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
FWIW, Paramount is in dire financial straits and is staring down bankruptcy if they can't merge with or be brought out by someone. So yeah, Sony+Apollo might have to pay 10 billion, but most of that would be assumption of debt.

• Informative
Reactions: Neversummer

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Fr buying Square or Sega would give them ownership of the ip & games studio which is more important imo & a better buy also for far less both Square & Sega are worth less then 5 billion while Paramount is near 10 billion.

Kadokawa/Fromsoft would be a better buy to produce media Fromsoft has there own transformer w the mecha games plus Fromsoft now owns the Elden Ring ip.

What are the top 5 Paramount ip that Sony can translate to cross media & games

1. Transformer
2. TMNT
3. SpongeBob
4. Star Streck/South Park

Eh I think owning Final Fantasy, Neir, Dragon Quest or Sonic & Persona would hold more value since there already established in games so translating to media is much easier then buying Paramount & translating media into games that aren’t established in gaming.
Top Gun fligth sim is a more interesting game that any of those you listed and would likelly cost Sony peanuts to lisence.

All the Ips you mentioned had plenty of games released as multiplataform titles over the year with moderate success at best but usually comercial flops.

Reactions: Neversummer

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Sony was actually a serious contender for acquiring 20th Century Fox. They just weren't willing to go near the price range that Disney ended up forking over to buy Fox.

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023

Unless Paramount is on bargain bin sale like 2-3 billion where Sony can exploit Transformer & TMNT in gaming that’s the only reason I see even buying Paramount.

Paramount issue is they don’t have strong enough ip & enough exclusive shows on its subscription to compete w Disney+ or Netflix Sony buying Paramount would be a nightmare unless they get rid of Paramount+ & license ip to other subscriptions & create Transformer & TMNT games exclusive to PS & build those brand under the notion of quality.

Sony be making some really suicidal business move. In question Sony & PS leadership entirely if I was a shareholder I would be sweating bricks & shitting out of my mouth from my investment completely imploding by bad direction & poor strategy

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Sony was actually a serious contender for acquiring 20th Century Fox. They just weren't willing to go near the price range that Disney ended up forking over to buy Fox.
A Sony with ip like Marvel & Starwars exclusive under PS would make PS Nintendo kinda level ip power wise & absolute unthinkable amount of power from a ip standpoint.

Reactions: VillaiN