(Updated) Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
It absolutely has ramifications in gaming.

Sony getting Star Trek is like Disney getting Star Wars. The amount of money that would be pumped into that franchise across multiple medias would be tremendous.
Star Trek is definitely not like Disney getting Star Wars.

If we be real Star Trek is dead for anyone under 30. At this point Sony investing into Destiny would be smarter & has greater potential to become a Star Wars level in cross media.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Excellent.
That would be good.

Tbh the only entertainment publisher Sony should buy that’s struggling is WBD.

Sony wanted to buy Fox & they’ve seen the power Disney gain when properly handling Star Wars & Marvels early one when they first acquired them.

WBD would give Sony DC which alone is worth it just with the different characters films & games you can make but also Game of Thrones, Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Kombat, Hogwarts & Monster Verse the potential in films & games is high w WB. WB has miss handle there ip in both film & games for so long it’s pretty crazy

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That would be good.

Tbh the only entertainment publisher Sony should buy that’s struggling is WBD.

Sony wanted to buy Fox & they’ve seen the power Disney gain when properly handling Star Wars & Marvels early one when they first acquired them.

WBD would give Sony DC which alone is worth it just with the different characters films & games you can make but also Game of Thrones, Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Kombat, Hogwarts & Monster Verse the potential in films & games is high w WB. WB has miss handle there ip in both film & games for so long it’s pretty crazy
WBD makes drastically more sense to me, their current leadership is brain dead but they produce great stuff and have great IPs. Their subscription service under performs for how good it is.

They also actually would have a significant impact in games with Batman and Harry Potter. I personally don't like Mortal Kombat IP and would sell it to some other publisher like EA.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Star Trek is definitely not like Disney getting Star Wars.

If we be real Star Trek is dead for anyone under 30. At this point Sony investing into Destiny would be smarter & has greater potential to become a Star Wars level in cross media.

Star Wars was largely dead before Disney bought it.

Star Wars Episode 3 came out in 2005. Disney bought it 7 years later with no movies releasing in between. There was 10 years between movie releases.

Star Trek Beyond came out in 2016, 8 years ago. It did 343 million at the box office. They're already working on Star Trek 4.

I'm not saying that Star Trek is as big a franchise, but it has similar potential in fact maybe more because it isn't as reliant on a core story telling relating to Episodes 4-6 that Disney hasn't yet broken out of.

My point is that Sony would invest significant money into that franchise in a similar way. The Force Awakens did nearly 3x better at the global box office than Revenge of the Sith.

Pretty silly to say that only people under 30 are interested, part of what Sony does is get people interested in franchises. It's called marketing.

Look at what they've been able to do with Jumanji, Bond (which they've now lost), Spider-Man/Venom, and Ghostbusters. The biggest problem for Sony is their lack of IP, which is why they're embracing PlayStation Productions as a pipeline for IP.

Sony would reinvigorate Star Trek as a multimedia franchise, perhaps even more than they did with Bond, because now there is a focus on movies - tv - games, whereas Sony wasn't as interested in having SIE do game tie ins with the Bond games, which was a missed opportunity.

Mission Impossible and Star Trek give Sony the ability to scale their releases, so that they have major movie releases on a near annual basis. Top Gun could add to that, especially if Sony is able to decouple them from Tom Cruise and keep them successful.

Sony stretching for movies is why we see them release movies like Madame Web, Morbius, and Kraven the Hunter. They simply don't have anything else.

What they need to do is bring back both Tobey Macguire and Andrew Garfield and do a Raimi Spider-Man 4 and an Amazing Spider-Man 3. Do a multiverse type thing With Amazing Spider-Man 3 and introduce a Spider-Gwen starring Emma Stone, which could allow you to do a Spider-Gwen series. You have another 3 Tom Holland Spider-Man movies, in which you start shifting to him being a mentor instead of a mentee, and you introduce a live-action Miles Morales and give him his own trilogy. That's at least 9 movies and doesn't include at least one more Spider-Verse animated movie, bringing the total to at least 10.

For Mission Impossible if you can reboot it with a new actor and keep it successful, that's potentially another 5+ movies.

For Star Trek, you can go in a couple of different directions. You can continue with Chris Pine, you can do a Next Generation reboot similar to the ToS reboot, or you can just do an all original story, either way you have multiple movies.

Sony at some point will take another stab at rebooting Men in Black, maybe with actors with a bit more star power.

Maybe you try to build the Top Gun franchise around Miles Teller, though I think it'll be more difficult to keep that going than Mission Impossible (without Cruise).

Then there is the continuation of the Transformers movies.

Then there is Sony's PlayStation IP pipeline.

Buying Paramount would put Sony in a potentially really strong situation for the next 10-20 years in tandem with the properties that they already have. Between Spider-Man, Uncharted, and Mission Impossible, you could probably lock down Tom Holland for the rest of his young career with a 10-12 movie deal.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I genuinely hope that Skydance Media & RedBird Capital will push through with their offer and let Sony eat dust. Sony needs to learn not to follow every Hollywood trend.

• haha
Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
WBD makes drastically more sense to me, their current leadership is brain dead but they produce great stuff and have great IPs. Their subscription service under performs for how good it is.

They also actually would have a significant impact in games with Batman and Harry Potter. I personally don't like Mortal Kombat IP and would sell it to some other publisher like EA.

What is good business to fanboys is what they personally like...

WB would be significantly more expensive and significantly riskier. So much value in WB really is dependant on being able to reboot Harry Potter successfully, which I think would be more difficult than Mission Impossible. Then you double down on Super Hero fatigue risk, which would impact both Spider-Man and the DC Universe. I think they no longer hold the rights to Lord of the Rings.

I think the upside is higher but so is the downside. There's almost no downside with Paramount. You fail initially with Mission Impossible post Cruise and you can just try again 3-4 years later with someone else or wait longer. Just look at Batman and Robin* and Batman Begins.

Last edited: