(Updated) Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Watch a video about this topic from comicbookcast2 & essentially all of the big players consolidate themselves in the Movie/Media industry & the looming Apple x Disney potential acquisition that can be possible & likely in the future Sony buying Paramount is at the sense to atleast have 1 bastion that hasn’t consolidated.

But imo o think Sony spending 10 billion elsewhere like buying Square Enix, Kadokawa & Hoyovers for under 15 billion would be better value Sony would gain massive ip not just in gaming but great ip w universal loving character & universes atleast compared to Paramount. In my eyes Sony should become a movie/tv show powerhouse centered around there gaming ip licensing them out to partners & just racking in the $. If a Sony doesn’t Nintendo will do it & become a powerhouse in entertainment with its universal family friendly ip in gaming. Nintendo will pump out hella more games then PS like there currently doing + becoming a serious threat in the entertainment market using its strong diamond ip all centered around gaming while also expanding into parks something Sony can’t do because PS doesn’t bring back these iconic universal family friendly ip like Sky Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, Patopon, Wild Arms etc

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Would this mean that Sony would own the Mission Impossible movie franchise?
Supposedly Paramount own the franchise but Tom owns the ip atleast from what I look up it seems a lil confusing.

Sony would apparently own Scream which a Scream game could be interesting Sony needs more horror games & also own GIJOE which I’m not to inform in that franchise.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This is terrible idea wouldn't they also be absorbing Paramount's debt?

Sony Pictures do need more IP's though and Paramount would give them access to many viable IP's even for gaming. But still, not so sure as I was always happy they stayed out of the streaming service wars... Would they kill Paramount+? If they won't then this will bleed the dry too

Reactions: Box and Neversummer
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Sony Pictures do need more IP's though and Paramount would give them access to many viable IP's even for gaming. But still, not so sure as I was always happy they stayed out of the streaming service wars... Would they kill Paramount+? If they won't then this will bleed the dry too
They could get more viable IPs by buying a Japanese pub. Alone FF, Dragon Quest, Yakuza etc. would give them everything they are looking for Transmedial appeal.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023

Yes they would atleast from talk the 10 billion would essentially absorb many of Paramount debt, Paramount has been going in a downward spiral w talks of filling bankruptcy.

I’m not a businessman nor have experience but I can tell you for 10 billion there’s other companies that holds stronger & better ip then Paramount for far less & with far less debt.

I’d imagine Sony would resolve Paramount+ & license out Paramount ip instead of buying a black hole that shreds money yearly.

Majority of the movie YouTubers like comicbookcast2 are guessing Sony wants to consolidate the finale bastion standing in the movie industry with talks of Apple buying Disney thoe I’d argue Sony should be buying gaming publisher & become a gaming/anime entertainment powerhouse where others like Disney, WB & Netflix create there own ip or own long run ip that aren’t heavily established in gaming or has remain dormant for a long time. Sony won’t become a gaming powerhouse that produces gaming movies & tv shows at scale to compete w Disney, Netflix etc Nintendo will double down on there console & output.

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
They could get more viable IPs by buying a Japanese pub. Alone FF, Dragon Quest, Yakuza etc. would give them everything they are looking for Transmedial appeal.
Plus gaming cross media is popping of not surprising translating a game franchise that’s already established in gaming & having its own universe & story is easy to translate to cross media

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I am honestly scared a bit because of this news. Sony has so many great companies in their home market but it's like they don't see them. There is a big acquisition rumored for 2024/Q1 (April - June) based in Asia/Japan. In the end Sony buys a miserable mobile pub like Nexon. ☠️🤧

• haha
Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I am honestly scared a bit because of this news. Sony has so many great companies in their home market but it's like they don't see them. There is a big acquisition rumored for 2024/Q1 (April - June) based in Asia/Japan. In the end Sony buys a miserable mobile pub like Nexon. ☠️🤧
Nah Sony won’t buy Nexon they’ll buy Koei Tecmo for mobile the gimped bootleg Fromsoft funny enough Kadokawa & Koei Techmo are value nearly the same

But yes there’s many great gaming studios & publisher Sony can buy I think the most obvious Square Enix, Kadokawa/Fromsoft, Hoyoverse & Arc System Works & you also have LVL 5 the studio behind the Patopon spiritual successor & the studio that did a great job w Mario RPG not sure if there Japanese/Asia based studio

Last edited:
Reactions: Box

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
So Sony might own the rights to Halo TV show?
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Screenshot 2024-04-19 043423.jpg

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Investing in movies... with nobody going to theathers anymore, a single viable streaming service in Netflix, insignificant market for BR sales.

Meanwhile people are willing to drop $70 on a single game, buy their closed hardware, pay a more expensive subscription, buy their accessories... complete morons unable to recognize their own strength. PlayStation deserves to go the way of Xbox.
“Nobody going to the theaters anymore”. That’s a lie. Lol They went for Top Gun, Super Mario, Barbie, and Oppenheimer.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
What an absolute stupid move. Like I said all along they don't believe in games/PlayStation and see everything else Sony does as superior and more important.

Worst Sony CEO ever, PlayStarion is about to be killed.

This is the type of move accountants would make, like another Warner+Discovery nonsense.

We won't see a major investment in Playstation for a long time. These assholes take the PlayStaion players for granted.

I hope their consoles sales collapse

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some Paramount series:
  • The Godfather
  • Grease
  • Star Trek
  • Friday the 13th (coproduction with others)
  • Indiana Jones (distibution, it's a co-production with Luscasfilm)
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Crocodile Dundee (co-production with others)
  • Top Gun
  • Ghost
  • The Naked Gun
  • Jack Ryan
  • The Addams Family (coproduction with others)
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Rugrats
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Jackass
  • Spongebob Squarepants
  • Shrek
  • Transformers (coproduction with Dreamworks and Hasbro)
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Cloverfield
  • Interstellar
  • Kung Fu Panda (coproduction)
  • Madagascar (coproduction)
  • Marvel Cinematic Universe (distribution only, coproduction with Marvel and Marvel Studios)
  • G.I.Joe
  • TMNT (coproduction)
  • Terminator (coproduction)
  • Titanic
  • XXX (Vin Diesel)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Scream
  • World War Z
I hope their consoles sales collapse
If as Totoki estimated the fiscal year that just ended was its peak year, starting from the current year the yearly console sales should decline every year as part of a normal console sales cycle.

All of these comments are proving that people on this site aren’t very smart. For once the people on ResetEra, are right. Lol
Yes, a lot of squareminded childish fanboys who get mad if Sony invests in something else that isn't their console, in games for it and acquisitions of the game types they like.

Even if not related to gaming, if this acquisition happens could indirectly benefit PS in many ways. Some examples of possible synergies:
  • More cool movies for the ones included in PS Plus
  • Some cool IPs that could be adapted to games
  • Talented filmakers who could make movie adaptations of SIE IPs
  • Talented filmakers, animators, actors, etc. who could collaborate and share tech, knowledge or info with gamedev teams
  • Would help Sony Pictures make more money, putting less pressure to PS to carry the corporation

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony Pictures also needs valuable IP's too and this can also be leveraged into gaming. I personally don't think Square Enix is a good but and if they should be acquired by Sony they would be gutted.

Sony will never buy Sega nor do I think they wanna sell. Maybe if that Super AAA games bombs lol.

Paramount has a good amount of stuff though, so I'm not fully against it but they come with a lot of debt.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Some Paramount series:
  • The Godfather
  • Grease
  • Star Trek
  • Friday the 13th (coproduction with others)
  • Indiana Jones (distibution, it's a co-production with Luscasfilm)
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Crocodile Dundee (co-production with others)
  • Top Gun
  • Ghost
  • The Naked Gun
  • Jack Ryan
  • The Addams Family (coproduction with others)
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Rugrats
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Jackass
  • Spongebob Squarepants
  • Shrek
  • Transformers (coproduction with Dreamworks and Hasbro)
  • Paranormal Activity
  • Cloverfield
  • Interstellar
  • Kung Fu Panda (coproduction)
  • Madagascar (coproduction)
  • Marvel Cinematic Universe (distribution only, coproduction with Marvel and Marvel Studios)
  • G.I.Joe
  • TMNT (coproduction)
  • Terminator (coproduction)
  • Titanic
  • XXX (Vin Diesel)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Scream
  • World War Z

If as Totoki estimated the fiscal year that just ended was its peak year, starting from the current year the yearly console sales should decline every year as part of a normal console sales cycle.
A failure in leadership for already seeing declines just a year after mass availability

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A partnership with WB for both movies and games would be better than this but at this point there's nothing we can do. Sony doesn't care about investing in their gaming division. Bungie was it.

• sad
Reactions: Neversummer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Seems that Paramount Global, in addition to Paramount Pictures also has CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon, Showtime, Comedy Central, Smithsonian Channel, 50% of SkyShowtime, and 49% of Miramax:

image.png

PS.: Paramount also owns GameSpot, ZDNet, Game One (French tv channel about videogames), J-One (French anime tv channel) and Metacritic.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xollowsob

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Paramount is trash aside from the Taylor Sheridan shows.

New trek is still an abomination