(Updated) Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Meanwhile Insomniac & Guerilla had to lay off employees.

The PlayStation division being used as a cash cow for Sony Pictures & Sony Music. i said it before and i’ll say it again, Sony has no confidence in PlayStation. i don't think we can expect anything more from PlayStation in the future.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
JUST to be clear. They aren't buying anything.

They will are discussing with a private investment firm to have a majority stake in them.

I personally think it is a good thing overall, because of the Intellectual property, but at the same time Paramount was unprofitable when they last reported earnings.

Also both sony or investment firm have not even presented a bid, paramount isn't even involved yet, so don't expect anything right now.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Meanwhile Insomniac & Guerilla had to lay off employees.

The PlayStation division being used as a cash cow for Sony Pictures & Sony Music. i said it before and i’ll say it again, Sony has no confidence in PlayStation. i don't think we can expect anything more from PlayStation in the future.
It’s either Sony has no confidence in PS or Sony might actually believe it holds a strong position in gaming which would be a horrible mindset if they truly believe that even thoe Steam & Nintendo exist.

PS might think because Xbox aren’t there competitor they can do whatever while ignoring steam & nintendo which would be a foolish mistake.

Reactions: Puff

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
“Nobody going to the theaters anymore”. That’s a lie. Lol They went for Top Gun, Super Mario, Barbie, and Oppenheimer.
Lie?

ticketssold.jpg

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about so next, time instead of accusing other of lying and laughing like a complete moron you look things up before hand.

Unless you actually thought that I was saying literally no one was going to the theaters in that case you need urgent help.

Playstation would benefit from this aswell , paramount own a bunch of IPs
All PlayStation studios that take an entire gen to announce a new game will now have even more IPs to ignore.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Lie?

ticketssold.jpg

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about so next, time instead of accusing other of lying and laughing like a complete moron you look things up before hand.

Unless you actually thought that I was saying literally no one was going to the theaters in that case you need urgent help.
the guy whos called people here not smart, he actually is not smart.
he also doesn't understand basics in finances and sony capabilities.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
why is it that other divisions at Sony get money to make multi billion dollar acquisitions, but their biggest division, PlayStation, has to rely on smaller acquisitions? with 10B dollars they can buy Square Enix, Kadokawa (FromSoftware) and KoeiTecmo combined, this is ridiculous, SONY NEEDS MORE STUDIOS AND IPS, 2023 we only had one AAA game (Spiderman 2) and 2024 we have nothing from first party
That has been the case for a long time, Sony has no confidence on PlayStation long term so instead of reinvesting to strengthen PlayStation position they use that money to help other divisions. All their plans reflect that, they are ok with PS5 selling less than PS4, they are porting their games to PC, they are afraid to try again on the portable market, they are making and announcing less games than ever, etc.

I remember people dismissing my observation that if you see a Sony presentation PlayStation always comes of as an after thought, as if Sony Pictures, Sony Movies, cameras, electric cars, etc were all way more important than mere video games. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, they believe consoles are going away and probably think the same about AAA single player games.

What is funny is that any of these movie studios would kill to have a business as strong, profitable and with such a good perspective for the future as PlayStation, yet Sony takes it for granted and doesn't seem to value it at all. How much would MS be willing to pay for PlayStation or to take their position in the gaming market? A lot.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
That has been the case for a long time, Sony has no confidence on PlayStation long term so instead of reinvesting to strengthen PlayStation position they use that money to help other divisions. All their plans reflect that, they are ok with PS5 selling less than PS4, they are porting their games to PC, they are afraid to try again on the portable market, they are making and announcing less games than ever, etc.

I remember people dismissing my observation that if you see a Sony presentation PlayStation always comes of as an after thought, as if Sony Pictures, Sony Movies, cameras, electric cars, etc were all way more important than mere video games. It's a self fulfilling prophecy, they believe consoles are going away and probably think the same about AAA single player games.

What is funny is that any of these movie studios would kill to have a business as strong, profitable and with such a good perspective for the future as PlayStation, yet Sony takes it for granted and doesn't seem to value it at all. How much would MS be willing to pay for PlayStation or to take their position in the gaming market? A lot.

PlayStation FY22 Performance. Net Revenue - $26.917 billion

Sony Pictures revenue was around $7.16 billion in fiscal year 2020

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Paramount has destroyed trek. Whatever they can do to get kurtzman and his industry hacks away is good to hear.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Lmao what a garbage list of IPs
Fr, the only good ip that can translate great for movies, tv shows & games are Transformer, TMNT, MIP (Tom Cruise), Avatar Last Air Bender maybe, Star Treck maybe in reality you have 3 massive ip w good potential in cross media & games.

I don’t see why Sony would want Paramount+ so would they get rid of P+ or try to combine it to another subscription because P+ is the smallest subscription & doesn’t have the content nor scale to compete w others.

Sony is probably better not buying them waiting until they bankrupt & sell there ips & try to buy there ips. Or maybe the strategy for Sony is to literally buy Paramount & strip the ip for cross media & games & sell of the rest to other companies maybe that’s there strategy to guarantee ip while also still selling majority of fat of keeping only movie & animation studio paramount has?

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Oh god please not.
Edit: Seems like a joint venture buy. But still this would devour massively budget. For gods sake Sony, acquire someone like Square Enix or Sega, of which Sony as entire Corporation would benefit!

it’s not going to happen. The best we will get is another PC port Studio

• fire
  • sad
Reactions: Box and Neversummer

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Wow, big move. I hope they can approve the right movies and get a better ratio of successful movies. Both critically and commercially.

With Disney practically on their knees, there could be a new hierarchy in entertainment soon.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
“Movies are a dying business” LMAO Gamers are a special case man.
They're right though, subscription services have decimated the film/tv industry, while gaming continues to grow. This is why so many companies constantly get swallowed up and now like 5 companies own the entire entertainment industry.

"Profits at the biggest entertainment companies fell almost 90% over the last decade (from $23.4B to $2.6B)."

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They're right though, subscription services have decimated the film/tv industry, while gaming continues to grow. This is why so many companies constantly get swallowed up and now like 5 companies own the entire entertainment industry.

"Profits at the biggest entertainment companies fell almost 90% over the last decade (from $23.4B to $2.6B)."

shut your mouth up, you bubble dweller. all the facts don't matter.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer