Sony PlayStation reconsidering PC support, in talks with Apple for partnership?

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
- parnership includes FUNDING and MARKETING coming from Apple
- the same chip used on PlayStation's next handheld might be used for PSVR3, gonna be its own standalone device
- several Xbox games already have builds for PlayStation
- Sony doesn't want to bolster Xbox's business since next Xbox might use Windows as a base
- talks is to drop support for tentpole games and only port/develop Live Service titles like Helldivers 2 for Windows PC

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
They should done this before ever going PC. Apple is less competition then Steam/PC
the PC strategy was rushed, they were promoting Only On PlayStation with Ghost Of Tsushima and TLOU2 in 2020 while porting games like Horizon Zero Dawn, it was made without much thinking

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Who is this guy and why should we trust him?
RedGamingTech, has some insights on hardware for both PC and Consoles, just like Moore's Law Is Dead (leaked PS5 Pro specs), RedGamingTech also had the specs for PS5 Pro prior to release

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
not gonna lie, if Apple funds PlayStation games, it's going to completely change and improve the margins of SIE business INSTANTLY

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well all this is hogwash and dependent on how desperate apple is to get a slice of the gaming pie, they did go into streaming with apple TV+ which would have been laughed out of the room just 10 years prior

This 95% just plain false but you never know anything can happen.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
This doesn't sound like something that would ever end well. For Sony and certainly for games and gamers.
well, it's not like PlayStation games are selling millions of copies on PC either... if Apple pays for 50% of the budget for every tentpole PS Studios it compensates every PC copy sold in like 10 years...

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This would be far preferable to me than the current strategy, it lessens the cheapening of the brand that has been occuring.

Apple can compensate Sony at a very preferential rate.

Apple and Sony can partner on more than just gaming and make a complete alternative to PC and Microsoft.

That said, I don't believe anything till I see it and this person...I have no idea about them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

MrAss

24 May 2024
I don't believe him. But it doesn't mean Sony won't try something like this. Their current PC and gaas initiatives just isn't doing great. And they still desperate to find new ways to fund their big budget games.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
This would be far preferable to me than the current strategy, it lessens the cheapening of the brand that has been occuring.

Apple can compensate Sony at a very preferential rate.

Apple and Sony can partner on more than just gaming and make a complete alternative to PC and Microsoft.

That said, I don't believe anything till I see it and this person...I have no idea about them.
yeah, for now everything is rumour, but good to discuss about, i think it would be inteligent of Sony to do this, specially with Apple funding games and marketing, they can finally make Apple devices be a good place for gaming, specially if they optimize it and bring technologies to Apple devices like PSSR and PS Link for example.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
There is no difference if PC or Apple for the main userbase on console. Any additional platform = games not fulfilling the full potential of the console.

Reactions: Ghaleon