Sony will increase the PS5 price in South Korea for the second time

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony Interactive Entertainment announced it is increasing the price of the PlayStation 5 in South Korea for a second time on October 24.
PlayStation says this is "due to the recent fluctuations in the global economic situation, various business difficulties have arisen, and we have been forced to make difficult decisions."

The MSRP for the PS5 with a disc drive is going up to ₩748,000 ($546 USD), while the PS5 Digital Edition will go up to ₩598,000 ($437 USD). The PS5 with a disc drive and 2 DualSense Wireless Controller bundle will now cost ₩820,800 ($599 USD) and the PS5 Digital Edition with two controllers will now cost ₩670,800 ($490 USD). The prices include VAT (value-added tax).
"We will continue to do our best to provide the best gaming experience to our customers and maintain a stable service," said PlayStation. "Thank you for your understanding."
q5fWHwn.png

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Or they live in the real world and need to manage their margins.

Nope they hate their own platform, that's the answer. Come on... be better...
Their stupid GAAS punt failed and their pc ports underperformed each and every time and now they think doubling down is the answer...

I'm patient... I can wait to say "I told you so" again and again.... And again.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Their stupid GAAS punt failed and their pc ports underperformed each and every time and now they think doubling down is the answer...

I'm patient... I can wait to say "I told you so" again and again.... And again.

• Helldivers 2 is probably their most successful game in the 30 years they've been in the business
  • You're judging the PC ports based on concurrent users, yet their financial reports continue to show them making millions on these PC ports

I don't know how someone can present facts and data and so many people just ignore it and put their head in the sand because they don't like the idea of it.

GaaS is here to stay as part of their strategy moving forward. I will personally not play any GaaS games. Not my cup of tea, but Sony would be dumb not to lean in that direction and that would eventual impact the single player games that I want them to make. The same is true of PC ports. The answer would be spending significantly less money on single player games and making fewer games.

Not sure why this is hard other than people feel like PS should be a walled garden and they're upset that it isn't.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • Helldivers 2 is probably their most successful game in the 30 years they've been in the business
  • You're judging the PC ports based on concurrent users, yet their financial reports continue to show them making millions on these PC ports

I don't know how someone can present facts and data and so many people just ignore it and put their head in the sand because they don't like the idea of it.

GaaS is here to stay as part of their strategy moving forward. I will personally not play any GaaS games. Not my cup of tea, but Sony would be dumb not to lean in that direction and that would eventual impact the single player games that I want them to make. The same is true of PC ports. The answer would be spending significantly less money on single player games and making fewer games.

Not sure why this is hard other than people feel like PS should be a walled garden and they're upset that it isn't.
They are making less games...certainly less of the ones we traditionally got. (Especially when you ignore remakes and the likes)

They are better off spending money on sure flops like Concord and Fairgames? Instead of a decent single player exclusive that would sell 3 million in a launch month and help sell ps5's and therefore many more 3rd party games and subscriptions?!

Helldivers 2 may have been PlayStations biggest GAAS success ever but it was followed by probably the biggest GAAS flop ever in the entire industry.

Sacrificing their hardware platform potential on the alter of GAAS popularity or having some short-lived cultural moment, is so dumb.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They are making less games...certainly less of the ones we traditionally got. (Especially when you ignore remakes and the likes)

Games take longer to develop and cost more.

They are better off spending money on sure flops like Concord and Fairgames? Instead of a decent single player exclusive that would sell 3 million in a launch month and help sell ps5's and therefore many more 3rd party games and subscriptions?!

People were calling Helldivers 2 a sure flop too. It's risk vs reward on GaaS.

Helldivers 2 may have been PlayStations biggest GAAS success ever but it was followed by probably the biggest GAAS flop ever in the entire industry.

That's the nature of the beast. But no Concord is not the biggest flop in the entire industry as much as people want to make it out to be. I guarantee you that Xdefiant cost more money and did not make it up in its sales.

People try to make Concord into a myth just to use it in discussions.

Sacrificing their hardware platform potential on the alter of GAAS popularity or having some short-lived cultural moment, is so dumb.

Has nothing to do with each other.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Secret agent Hermen is doing everything he can to destroy PlayStation. It's really quite impressive how much this guy is failing upwards. Definitely from the Phil Spencer school of management

Herman is in charge of the hardware now?

You guys just make shit up as you go...

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
People were calling Helldivers 2 a sure flop too. It's risk vs reward on GaaS.
No they were not

Obviously nobody expected it would become the biggest game of the year but it was a developer with a proven track record with Sony

Helldivers 1 managed to sell 4 million as a top down shooter and was praised across the board

That's a smart bet to continue working with them and back them for bigger and better, and it was all pre Hermen. In fact you could argue he tried to sabotage it based on how little Sony marketed it

Hermens bets have been DEI fuelled trash like Concord and Fairgame$. Devs he has paid hundreds of millions on before they ever released a game

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
No they were not

Obviously nobody expected it would become the biggest game of the year but it was a developer with a proven track record with Sony

Helldivers 1 managed to sell 4 million as a top down shooter and was praised across the board

That's a smart bet to continue working with them and back them for bigger and better, and it was all pre Hermen. In fact you could argue he tried to sabotage it based on how little Sony marketed it

Hermens bets have been DEI fuelled trash like Concord and Fairgame$. Devs he has paid hundreds of millions on before they ever released a game

See, you're full of it... You know herman gave them twice as much time to develop the game than what was planned right?

• haha
Reactions: Boswollox

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Or they live in the real world and need to manage their margins.

Nope they hate their own platform, that's the answer. Come on... be better...
Take a hit on hardware and make it up with software and services. They hiked the fuck outta PS+ and somehow they still can't meet hardware margins? Stop defending corporate greed. Sony is squeezing the brand dry and you are here cheering consumers being punished because Totoki want to make sure he gets his big bonuses at the end of the year and to keep his shareholder buds happy.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Take a hit on hardware and make it up with software and services. They hiked the fuck outta PS+ and somehow they still can't meet hardware margins? Stop defending corporate greed. Sony is squeezing the brand dry and you are here cheering consumers being punished because Totoki want to make sure he gets his big bonuses at the end of the year and to keep his shareholder buds happy.

Someone telling it like it is. Respect.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Someone telling it like it is. Respect.
Always do!! As do you!

PlayStation margins were worse during the PS2 era that never stopped them from taking constant hardware hits... What has changed this generation? Absolutely nothing but them getting greedy after seeing PlayStation go from PS3 debt to PS4 basically taking their company from a 44 billion market value to 110 billion market value.. Suddenly shareholders and CEO's who always found the gaming branch to be an embarrassment to the company all care about gaming lmao.