Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
Well, if Sony acquires a major publisher, you know people are going to pretend to be upset by saying Sony is going to make their games exclusive to PlayStation.

They're also going to ask Microsoft to block the deal.

I remember reading Angie from Resetera saying he/she will stop buying games on PlayStation if Sony acquires anymore devs. Lol.

People really have double standards when it comes to Sony.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I remember reading Angie from Resetera saying he/she will stop buying games on PlayStation if Sony acquires anymore devs. Lol.

But I thought Angie was a PS fan and she posts here too?

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
But I thought Angie was a PS fan and she posts here too?

She posted this in the PS thread in Resetera. And yes I'm aware she posts here as well. I wanted to call her out on this when i read her post.

@Angie Your thoughts, Angie. Let's clear the air. Why would Sony acquiring any more devs or publishers stop you from gaming on Playstation? I'm curious. You expect Sony to just take it in the butt?

Reactions: Diah

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
She posted this in the PS thread in Resetera. And yes I'm aware she posts here as well. I wanted to call her out on this when i read her post.

@Angie Your thoughts, Angie. Let's clear the air. Why would Sony acquiring any more devs or publishers stop you from gaming on Playstation? I'm curious. You expect Sony to just take it in the butt?
I think that opinion would hold in like 2019 but in 2023? No. "Consolidation is bad" doesn't work anymore.

Sony could literally moneyhat the whole EA and 2k library and that would still pale in comparison to what MS is doing and what their goal is.

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
If Microsoft starts acquiring publishers, then they risk destroying franchises.

This isn't about how they're going to manage studios, but it's their decision to make games exclusive.

They're taking games away from a large install base (Nintendo and PlayStation) and the majority of those fans aren't to change platforms. If they buy Sega and make games exclusive, then how many Japanese gamers are going to buy an Xbox for a niche franchise?

That's the problem they're currently facing. It might help if they acquire more publishers, but having a small install base on Xbox doesn't help.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

She is free to do so, if she wishes. Sony can bear to losing one single customer. Companies don’t care about feelings. If they want to buy a pub, then they will do so.

Last edited:

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
She is free to do so, if she wishes. Sony will be bear to losing one single customer. Companies don’t care about feelings. If they want to buy a pub, then they will do so.

I know. It's the double standards that I'm calling out. (That Sony buying a pub is not allowed)

Reactions: Diah

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Well, if Sony acquires a major publisher, you know people are going to pretend to be upset by saying Sony is going to make their games exclusive to PlayStation.

They're also going to ask Microsoft to block the deal.
You mean, they are going to be hypocrites?

Pretending PS exclusivity is an issue, even in an age where they drank the PC koolaid?

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
I have no problem with Sony buying devs (nor it matters that much to me, because founding from second party or first party is the same).

I do have a problem if Sony strategy would be instead of create was to take away from others.

I prefer Sony founding stuff like Rise of Ronin, I would have a problem if they bought CDPR just to remove The Witcher from Xbox, so the console warriors make a list to brag about it.

And yes, if Sony strategy is to buy something like Square just to remove games like Dragon Quest from Nintendo, and all the other smaller games that have a audience on Switch, I will have a huge problem with it.
If their strategy is to expand to South Korea and China, and bring new creators and new games, than I will give them massive credit for it.

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
They don't care. It's about destroying competitors and taking over, not about earning consumer trust.

I'm talking from a strategic point of view and how it will affect Microsoft going forward.

Knowing that their install base is small with mostly an American audience, it might be harder for them to acquire a major Japanese publisher. Yes, they're a trillion dollar company, but does that mean a publisher wants to be brought? The point is that I think removing games from a large install base and a major Japanese audience can create problems for Microsoft.

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
I have no problem with Sony buying devs (nor it matters that much to me, because founding from second party or first party is the same).

I do have a problem if Sony strategy would be instead of create was to take away from others.

I prefer Sony founding stuff like Rise of Ronin, I would have a problem if they bought CDPR just to remove The Witcher from Xbox, so the console warriors make a list to brag about it.

And yes, if Sony strategy is to buy something like Square just to remove games like Dragon Quest from Nintendo, and all the other smaller games that have a audience on Switch, I will have a huge problem with it.
If their strategy is to expand to South Korea and China, and bring new creators and new games, than I will give them massive credit for it.

So MS buying up Zenimax and ATVI and making the games exclusive and Sony can't retaliate by buying a dev/pub and making them exclusive if that's what you're saying. Just to be frank, I am anti consolidation as well, but if you think Sony has to sit back and continue letting MS acquire everything then i think you're being really naive.

When I saw your post on Resetera saying you'll only game on your switch if Sony acquires a dev/pub, I was rolling my eyes.

Sony is the bad guy I guess if MS continues gobbling up everything and they (Sony) are forced to acquire a pub/dev and make their games exclusive to PS5 and beyond.

Last edited:

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
So MS buying up Zenimax and ATVI and making the games exclusive and Sony can't retaliate by buying a dev/pub and making them exclusive if that's what you're saying. Just to be frank, I am anti consolidation as well, but if you think Sony has to sit back and continue letting MS acquire everything then i think you're being really naive.

When I saw your post on Resetera saying you'll only game on your switch if Sony acquires a dev/pub, I was rolling my eyes.
They can retaliate how they want lol

And I'm sure they will in some ways. They not paying a quarter of a million to create a Integration post for some reason.

I'm just saying that getting the games that I was already getting instead of creating new ones is not something I will cheer for.
And I wont. Nor I will ever support consolidation, because that is never done with consumers in mind.

Just look at the streaming services with quality going down and prices going up.
Disney having a lot of problems and begging Apple to buy them.
Embracer begging other conpanies to please buy their studios that they rushed to buy.
ISPs
Healthcare
Energy provision
Mobile phone carriers
Etc

None of this consolidations is going well.

And I'm sure Sony is going to do something, because even the CEO aluded to it, and Jim is probably someone who prefers organic grown (and he is right), and we all going to lose for it.

Also doubt they will care if Angie just plays Pokemon going forward lol.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
A bit too late for that sentiment, isn't it? You can't complain about Sony "taking stuff away" when a MUCH bigger company started consolidation on a MASSIVE level. The industry just doesn't work like it used to anymore.

So 2 options. Either Sony does nothing and gets drowned out or they try and get publishers of their own. There's no in-between here. You can't just rely on current first party when you've already lost access to some of the biggest 3rd party games on the market.

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
A bit too late for that sentiment, isn't it? You can't complain about Sony "taking stuff away" when a MUCH bigger company started consolidation on a MASSIVE level. The industry just doesn't work like it used to anymore.

So 2 options. Either Sony does nothing and gets drowned out or they try and get publishers of their own. There's no in-between here. You can't just rely on current first party when you've already lost access to some of the biggest 3rd party games on the market.
I'm not saying they are not going to do it.
And if Disney is looking at EA, looks more and more will be just a bunch of conpanies making their own store and closing their games and IPs under a subscription model.

And trust me, 99,9% of ERA disagrees with me lol

But I will always say that none of this will be good for consumers, and I only talk about Sony because that is the console I own lol
And Nintendo just does their own thing. They don't even own Hall Laboratory.

• brain
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Where do you get the confidence to say Sony would remove games from Nintendo platforms now and in the future?
Sony Music and Aniplex are publishing games on Nintendo consoles more decades. Sony is not the type of Company to do that. They will with a certainty block games from Xbox to if they should acquire Square Enix. But that’s fine Microsoft started this mess, so they reap what they sow. Nobody cares about Xbox losing games here.

Last edited:

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Where do get the confidence to say Sony would remove games from Nintendo platforms now and in the future?
Sony Music and Aniplex are publishing games on Nintendo consoles more decades. Sony is not the type of Company to do that. They will with a certainty block games from Xbox to if they should acquire Square Enix. But that’s fine Microsoft started this mess, so they reap what they sow. Nobody cares about Xbox losing games here.
Why would you buy something to keep the same?

Then there is really no point to buy something. And if they go for Square is not because of the small audience in the Xbox, is probably to bring the audience from Switch to PS. Especially in Japan.

They left Bungie to be the same, because they believe they would gain from their MP experience. They don't need Square to learn how to make single player games lol

• brain