Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Something I have further researched regarding Square Enix‘s movement to Shibuya:

Squaresoft and Enix were based both in Shinjuku.
Then after the merger to Square Enix, they moved to a new building.
Then in 2012 they moved to a new building in Shinjuku Eastside.
They are moving out from Shinjuku for the first time. Shinjuku cost less than Shibuya.
Shibuya is very expensive so Japanese users feel an acquisition is in the air. 👀

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Something I have further researched regarding Square Enix‘s movement to Shibuya:

They are moving out from Shinjuku for the first time. Shinjuku cost less than Shibuya.
Shibuya is very expensive so Japanese users feel an acquisition is in the air. 👀

Any idea who else has buildings in Shibuya?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Just saw that Meta recently announced their acquisition of Armature (RE4 VR), Camouflaj (Ironman VR) and Twisted Pixel (Splosion Man, The Gunstringer, Wilson's Heart, Path of the Warrior). They also announced a deal with MS to Xbox Cloud Gaming on Meta Quest 2 in 2D using an xbox pad.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Just saw that Meta recently announced their acquisition of Armature (RE4 VR), Camouflaj (Ironman VR) and Twisted Pixel (Wilson's Heart).

Yup, I made the thread..... Iron-man has a game under EA coming but I really see Sony getting outmaneuvered by Meta in terms of VR studios and games.

Seems like Sony are under siege on both sides.

I know they are waiting on news about ABK but it's hard to watch them....like they are paralyzed.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

Good observations. Sony I feel really needs to make this move. I think FF16 will be a massive return to form for the series. And FF14 continues to be a big money maker. It fits right into Sony's GaaS plans. I don't want them to acquire SE to take games away from the competition. I just don't want those type games to go away from Sony forever.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yup, I made the thread..... Iron-man has a game under EA coming but I really see Sony getting outmaneuvered by Meta in terms of VR studios and games.

I know they are waiting on news about ABK but it's hard to watch them....like they are paralyzed.

These acquisition means Sony won't buy them and that it narrows the amount of VR studios that Sony could buy in the future in case they want to do so, which I think it's likely. Or even devs to work in 2nd party projects, or even to publish 3rd party ones. I'd suggest Sony to buy the RE7VR, REVillage VR and RE4R VR developer: Capcom.

As a reminder, they also own Beat Games (Beat Saber), Sanzaru Games (Asgard's Wrath), Ready at Dawn Studios (The Order: 1886 and Lone Echo), BigBox VR (Population) and Downpour Interactive (Onward).

• they're_right_you_know

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I think Sony needs to see if Hello Games wants to sell. Their dedication to No Man's Sky is impressive.
They'd be a huge get for both console and VR.

P

peter42O

Sony if anything is concentrating way too much on the ABK acquisition and COD in particular which if they really wanted to argue the acquisition, they should have focused on Microsoft's cloud/streaming infrastructure because in this regard, it's going to take a lot of money and time for Sony to truly be able to compete in this aspect. Going after COD just because of the revenue they make off of it if anything is going to go against them. Not only that but if there's no concessions regarding COD which I don't believe that there will be at all, Jimbo could end up shooting himself in the foot by rejecting Microsoft's offer for 3 years which in all honesty, he should have just accepted and moved on.

Point is that they shouldn't be in a "paused" state just because of what Microsoft is doing with ABK. Sony should really go after whoever they're targeted for acquisition and simply get it done. VR wise, were those studios Meta acquired any good? Worth buying? If not, then no real loss for Sony missing out on them.

The EA Iron Man game makes much more sense than Sony or any other publisher simply because they have the blueprint for it with Anthem which was basically flying around as if you're Iron Man. lol

Sony being under siege now is nothing compared to what it could end up being. Apple, Amazon, Tencent and Saudi Arabia haven't even gone all in yet. Imagine when they do. If anything, Sony should really look to merge or sell to Apple or Amazon because that would make them a banner under a $2T dollar company which is exactly what they're going to need compared to all these other behemoths.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Any idea who else has buildings in Shibuya?
Sony Group Corp and Sony Music Entertainment Japan. A further fact: Square Enix is moving to the same area in which Sony’s buildings are based. Shibuya South Exit Station. They are only meters away from each other. 👀

• brain

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Sony if anything is concentrating way too much on the ABK acquisition and COD in particular which if they really wanted to argue the acquisition, they should have focused on Microsoft's cloud/streaming infrastructure because in this regard, it's going to take a lot of money and time for Sony to truly be able to compete in this aspect. Going after COD just because of the revenue they make off of it if anything is going to go against them. Not only that but if there's no concessions regarding COD which I don't believe that there will be at all, Jimbo could end up shooting himself in the foot by rejecting Microsoft's offer for 3 years which in all honesty, he should have just accepted and moved on.

Point is that they shouldn't be in a "paused" state just because of what Microsoft is doing with ABK. Sony should really go after whoever they're targeted for acquisition and simply get it done. VR wise, were those studios Meta acquired any good? Worth buying? If not, then no real loss for Sony missing out on them.

The EA Iron Man game makes much more sense than Sony or any other publisher simply because they have the blueprint for it with Anthem which was basically flying around as if you're Iron Man. lol

Sony being under siege now is nothing compared to what it could end up being. Apple, Amazon, Tencent and Saudi Arabia haven't even gone all in yet. Imagine when they do. If anything, Sony should really look to merge or sell to Apple or Amazon because that would make them a banner under a $2T dollar company which is exactly what they're going to need compared to all these other behemoths.

PlayStation makes too much money for Sony to sell....and I doubt Japan would let Sony sell themselves. They are listed as one of those high risk companies to Japan.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Sony Group Corp and Sony Music Entertainment Japan. A further fact: Square Enix is moving to the same area in which Sony’s buildings are based. Shibuya South Exit Station. They are only meters away from each other. 👀

Well, Sony needs to walk their asses next door with some freshly baked cookies or something and make a deal. lol

• party

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Wow if thats true, then thats pretty crazy.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Here is a wild one: Valve

Think about it this way, Valve has industry leading VR and a storefront. Sony needs all the VR they can get to fight off Facebook and their VR which is rapidly growing to become the most popular vr headset. Getting Valve to make console exclusive VR titles for PSVR2 would be a great selling point for the headset, and Valve would actually get off their ass and make games. When Valve makes something it's always a banger so they've got talent on their side too. Steam being integrated with Playstation store could help tremendously with their PC porting plans, and to top it off, they could bite into MS's bread and butter: windows.

Valve have been making steamos to get away from Windows for a while now, and with the backing of Sony, not only steamos but Linux as a whole could rise up as an operating system. They could bundle steamos with more gaming PCs and overtake windows in market share. If you attack MS's main source of revenue, not only Xbox would come crumbling down but MS as well, it's a genius strategy.

This is all a little fantasy I concocted in my head though and i doubt Valve would sell since they're a private company. And I have 0 idea what Sony would really do with Valve. Frankly I don't even want something like this, industry consolidation and exclusives and all. It'd be a wild ride if it did happen though

• brain
P

peter42O

PlayStation makes too much money for Sony to sell....and I doubt Japan would let Sony sell themselves. They are listed as one of those high risk companies to Japan.

Obviously, they wouldn't sell if Apple/Amazon, etc. wasn't intent on keeping PlayStation. My thinking is that they're an $85B dollar company last time I checked and going head to head with $2T dollar companies isn't going to end in their favor but if they had an Apple or Amazon backing up PlayStation like a Microsoft is backing up Xbox, then it becomes a completely different story.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Satoru