Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Wouldn’t be surprised if sony holds off on buying a lot of these smaller studios and just offers them long term game contracts.

Although thats pretty dangerous waters to tread with tencent and embracer loomingg

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
All Sony needs to do is continue to invest billions in their talent and studios making new IP's. We cant play COD and Diablo forever. The next big game is 9 times out of 10 a new ip.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Neither of those is anywhere near as dangerous or harmful to the industry as MS.

Yeah, im just saying a studio like ember lab will easily get snatched up by one of them relatively soon. They are cheap and very talented, the ideal acquisition target for embracer especially

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Exactly. Microsoft wasting 70 billion on activision is a perfect alibi to go on their in shopping spree and lock down key ip and partners. I get that they can’t have it all. But some companies and ip are to vital to the brand to leave them be a free agent for someone else to get.
I think that's what will happen eventually.

Sony is making the noise because it puts them in a win-win situation. Now, only two scenarios are possible: (1) the regulators listen to Sony and blocks the deal, or (2) they decide that the biggest acquisition ever doesn't negatively affect competitors and allow this deal.

It's a victory for Sony if they block the deal. If they allow it, Sony can buy a big publisher and regulators won't have any reason to block that acquisition then.

Sony wins in both scenarios. But it's important to make the noise now in order to reap rewards later.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think that's what will happen eventually.

Sony is making the noise because it puts them in a win-win situation. Now, only two scenarios are possible: (1) the regulators listen to Sony and blocks the deal, or (2) they decide that the biggest acquisition ever doesn't negatively affect competitors and allow this deal.

It's a victory for Sony if they block the deal. If they allow it, Sony can buy a big publisher and regulators won't have any reason to block that acquisition then.

Sony wins in both scenarios. But it's important to make the noise now in order to reap rewards later.

The best outcome is for the acquisition not to go through and for sony not to buy any publishers, IMO.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Everyone should really understand that the Activision Blizzard King Deal will be approved. There is no doubt it will. Sony will need to stand up and do strategically purchase of which the entire Sony Corporation will benefit. Like securing their key-partners in Japan. I am pretty sure Sony, is just waiting gor the further outcome of the entire ABK drama.

Mobile Suit Gooch

21 Jun 2022
Wouldn’t be surprised if sony holds off on buying a lot of these smaller studios and just offers them long term game contracts.

Although thats pretty dangerous waters to tread with tencent and embracer loomingg
Wouldn't be the first time Sony was caught with their pants down

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My latest iteration of who they should buy if ABK goes through...

Square Enix full buyout, CDPR full buyout - based on cross-media potential, charts staying power and FFXIV being a massive live service game.

Capcom - partial large investment (Sony and Nintendo buy large % to protect Capcom from external threats)

Konami - IP buyout full / partial - MGS, Castlevania, Silent Hill (Cross media potential, nostalgia etc)

Deviation if their new game slaps.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Embracers future is dubious.... a few more Saints Row's and they might just collapse.

There's a huge deficit of managerial / production competence in the industry atm.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

Square Enix full buyout, CDPR full buyout - based on cross-media potential, charts staying power and FFXIV being a massive live service game.

Capcom - partial large investment (Sony and Nintendo buy large % to protect Capcom from external threats)

Konami - IP buyout full / partial - MGS, Castlevania, Silent Hill (Cross media potential, nostalgia etc)

Would not be surprised if Deviation has already agreed to being acquired. Would be bad to announce it now though. Would 100% be used against Sony when it comes to the ABK deal since there are so many ex-Treyarch peeps there.. SquareEnix is a no brainer. CDPR I'm not so sure. I can see Sony investing in Rebel Wolves though. Investing heavily into Capcom would be smart too. They simply cannot afford to let Resident Evil and Street Fighter get away.

As for Konami, I don't think they are willing to sell their IP. They would need to be bought outright........I don't think Sony wants to do that. The original developers of their big IP are no longer at the company.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

I agree. However isnt CDPR partially owned by the Polish government? Maybe they simply cannot be bought because of that? Otherwise I agree 100 percent with what your saying. Maybe theyre just waiting for all this activision shenanigan's to be solved first?

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Stole this from the other place from user Desodeset. Pretty good reference.

Part I of potential M&A targets (Publishers) for SIE .

PublishersValuePriceStaffPropertiesRegionsBenefitsNegativesChance
CD Projekt RED2.35B USD3B+ USD1000CyberpunkEastern EuropePremium releasesKnown crunch problemsPossible
The Witcher (video game rights, board games, visual novels and merchandise rights)WRPG experienceGoG as a DRM Free Store
Project HadarMultimedia successCultural problems? (Poland is known as anti-liberal state)
Huge potential for GaaS Spin-Offs
Pearl Abyss2.00B USD3B+ USD1000Black Desert Online, Crimson DesertSouth KoreaGeographical diversityCould be blasted by North Korean nuclear bomb.Possible
DokeVMMO Experience
Plan8Multiple Upcoming GaaS Titles
EVE Online
CAPCOM5.58B USD7B+ USD3000Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, PragmataJapanPremium ReleasesNot aware of anyVery likely
Monster Hunter, ExoprimalAppealing for both West and Japan
Street FighterStreet Fighter-EVO Synergy
Different Types of AAA Games (Horror, Action, RPG)
Large legacy beneficial for PS+ Premium
Square-Enix5.43B USD7B+ USD4000-4500Final FantasyJapanMost popular AAA JRPGsMany AA titles that don't fit SIE strategyVery likely
Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, ForspokenThe biggest MMO currentlyNot the best management
Tons of smaller IPs and JRPGsBig potential on MobileSubsidiaries that are hard to intergrade (Taito, Gangan Comics). Could be beneficial for Sony Group.
Warner Bros Games2-4B USD2-4B USD2000Lego LicenseUS/UK/CANPremium ReleasesLicensing issuesUnlikely
Mortal KombatMortal Kombat-EVO SynergyMajority of titles are WB Discovery IPs
Potential DC/Warner Bros Pictures LicensesE-Rated GamesNot on sale currently?
Superhero AAA Games
Hi-Rez Studios1.5B1.5B500+SmiteUSGaaS experienceNot aware of anyPossible
PaladinsMultiple projects
Rogue CompanyEasier to integrate
Established console presence
Ubisoft3.58B5B20000Assassin's CreedEUAAA ExperienceHuge workforceVery unlikely
Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, The DivisionEstablished franchisesBad management and culture
Far Cry, Watch Dogs, BG&ELarge catalog beneficial for PS+ Extra and PremiumLack of originality
Just Dance, Rayman, AnnoWorldwide presenceUnder control by Tencent
Embracer Group6.47B9B+15000Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, ThiefEUHuge variety of IPs
Huge Workforce
Unlikely
Lord of the Rings, HellboyBeneficial for PS+Unproved in AAA development
Borderlands, Metro 2033, Dead Island, Saints RowPresence in games/multimedia/comicsA lot of smaller devs/IPs
Tons of smaller/midsized IPs (mainly from Europe)
Worldwide presence
Risky business
Sega Sammy3B4-5B7500Yakuza, PersonaJapanArms in Japan and the WestA lot of non-gaming activitiesUnlikely
SonicVariety of genresMost of the franchises are not blockbusters.
Fantasy Star, Virtua FighterLarge legacy beneficial for PS+ PremiumMany PC oriented devs
Total War, Company of Heroes, Football ManagerMultimedia presence

Part II of potential M&A targets (Studios) for SIE .

StudiosValuePriceStaffPropertiesRegionsBenefitsNegatives
Kojima Productions100-200M100-200M150Not anyJapanExtremely Effective TeamBuild around one person
Prestige DeveloperToo weird for mass audience
Interests in transmedia projects
High tech level
Arc System Works100-200M100-200M150Guilty Gear, BazBlueJapanEffective team"Too anime for PlayStation"
Specialized in fighting games
Synergy with EVO
From Software860M900M+350Sekiro, Tenchu, Armored Core, King's Field, Elden Ring (may be partially?)JapanSpecialized in RPG GamesNot any
Unique style
Prestige Developer
Effective team
Blockbuster Developer
Unseen0-500-5020 - 50Not anyJapanLow costStart Up Company
Can produce original and interesting titlesToo weird for mass audience
High Risk
JP Games50-100M50-100M20 - 50Not anyJapanLow costStart Up Company
Can produce AAA JRPGsPrevious Tabata's failures
Prestige DeveloperHigh Risk
Arrowhead Games50-100M50-100M100Not anySwedenSpecialized in Co-Op GamesNot proven in AAA Games
Established relationship with SIE
Remedy Games235M300M+300Alan Wake, Control (?)FinlandProven in AAA GamesLatest titles are not best sellers
Good StorytellersA partnership with Tencent (3.8%) for project Vanguard
Potential in GaaSPublishing deals with Epic and 505
People Can Fly250M300-400M500Painkiller, Bulletstorm, New IPPolandPotential in GaaSHave a little success in latest titles
Multiple projectsDeals with other publishers (Square Enix currently)
Rebel Wolves50-100M50-100M20 - 50Not anyPolandLow costStart Up Company
Huge potential in WRPGsHigh Risk
Techland1.5-2B1.5-2B400Dying Light, New Fantasy IP, Call of JuarezPolandBlockbuster ProvenMight have problems with crunch culture
Experience in Action RPGs
Lucid Games0-500-50150Not anyUKGood Support StudioNot proven in AAA Games
Ballistic Moon0-500-5050 - 100Not anyUKLow costNot proven in AAA Games
Already has relationship with SIEStart Up Company
Could produce unique horror gamesHigh Risk
IO Interactive100-200M100-200M300Hitman, James Bond LicenseDenmarkProven in AAA GamesAlready making a game for Xbox (MS might be preferred buyer)
Unique styleUnknown status of Hitman IP
Effective team
Asobo100-200M100-200M200Plague's TaleFranceHigh tech levelAlready making a game or two for Xbox (MS might be preferred buyer)
Proven in Third Person Storytelling GamesPublishing deal with Focus Home
Larian Studios100-200M100-200M300DivinityBelgiumWRPG ExperienceTencent has 30% Stake
Unique styleMay not fit SIE Strategy
Jetpack Interactive0-500-5050Not anyUSGood Support StudioToo small to be acquired. Better to be a partner
Ember Lab0-500-5050KenaUSUnique animated experienceMight have problems with management
Fitting SIE Style of games
Firewalk Studios100-200M100-200M100 - 150Not anyUSLow costStart Up Company
Big Potential in GaaSHigh Risk
Team of experienced devs
Deviation Games100-200M100-200M100 - 150Not anyUSLow costStart Up Company
Team of experienced devs
Humanoid100-200M100-200M20 - 50Not anyCanadaLow costStart Up Company
Team of experienced devs

Last edited:
  • fire

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I agree. However isnt CDPR partially owned by the Polish government? Maybe they simply cannot be bought because of that? Otherwise I agree 100 percent with what your saying. Maybe theyre just waiting for all this activision shenanigan's to be solved first?

Oh yeah, no doubt they will wait till after ABK to announce anything.

I certainly remember that CDPR get massive subsidies and grants from the government in Poland but they are definite;y a publicly traded company.

Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sort of off topic but with the US now having tensions with Saudi Arabia i wonder if the ftc would be so bold as to block whatever gaming company they decide to purchase? Sue to block or whaever the ftc does.

• brain

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
i dont think sony care whether or not a studio has proven themselves, they just need to see potential and something unique about them. They were gonna buy housemarque in 2020 before Returnal even came out, and they’re letting Bluepoint make their own original IP.

Also Pixelopus is proof sony invest in talent, they were literally just college grad students and their next game could potentially be huge. If sony see the potential they will foster and grow it into a powerhouse developer.

• brain
Reactions: Kyoji and Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Stole this from the other place from user Desodest. Pretty good reference.

Part I of potential M&A targets (Publishers) for SIE .

PublishersValuePriceStaffPropertiesRegionsBenefitsNegativesChance
CD Projekt RED2.35B USD3B+ USD1000CyberpunkEastern EuropePremium releasesKnown crunch problemsPossible
The Witcher (video game rights, board games, visual novels and merchandise rights)WRPG experienceGoG as a DRM Free Store
Project HadarMultimedia successCultural problems? (Poland is known as anti-liberal state)
Huge potential for GaaS Spin-Offs
Pearl Abyss2.00B USD3B+ USD1000Black Desert Online, Crimson DesertSouth KoreaGeographical diversityCould be blasted by North Korean nuclear bomb.Possible
DokeVMMO Experience
Plan8Multiple Upcoming GaaS Titles
EVE Online
CAPCOM5.58B USD7B+ USD3000Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, PragmataJapanPremium ReleasesNot aware of anyVery likely
Monster Hunter, ExoprimalAppealing for both West and Japan
Street FighterStreet Fighter-EVO Synergy
Different Types of AAA Games (Horror, Action, RPG)
Square-Enix5.43B USD7B+ USD4000-4500Final FantasyJapanMost popular AAA JRPGsMany AA titles that don't fit SIE strategyVery likely
Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, ForspokenThe biggest MMO currentlyNot the best management
Tons of smaller IPs and JRPGsBig potential on MobileSubsidiaries that are hard to intergrade (Taito, Gangan Comics). Could be beneficial for Sony Group.
Warner Bros Games2-4B USD2-4B USD2000Lego LicenseUS/UK/CANPremium ReleasesLicensing issuesUnlikely
Mortal KombatMortal Kombat-EVO SynergyMajority of titles are WB Discovery IPs
Potential DC/Warner Bros Pictures LicensesE-Rated GamesNot on sale currently?
Superhero AAA Games
Hi-Rez Studios1.5B1.5B500+SmiteUSGaaS experienceNot aware of anyPossible
PaladinsMultiple projects
Rogue CompanyEasier to integrate
Established console presence
Ubisoft3.58B5B20000Assassin's CreedEUAAA ExperienceHuge workforceVery unlikely
Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, The DivisionEstablished franchisesBad management and culture
Far Cry, Watch Dogs, BG&ELarge catalog beneficial for PS+ Extra and PremiumLack of originality
Just Dance, Rayman, AnnoWorldwide presenceUnder control by Tencent
Embracer Group6.47B9B+15000Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain, ThiefEUHuge variety of IPs
Huge Workforce
Unlikely
Lord of the Rings, HellboyBeneficial for PS+Unproved in AAA development
Borderlands, Metro 2033, Dead Island, Saints RowPresence in games/multimedia/comicsA lot of smaller devs/IPs
Tons of smaller/midsized IPs (mainly from Europe)
Worldwide presence
Risky business
Sega Sammy3B4-5B7500Yakuza, PersonaJapanArms in Japan and the WestA lot of non-gaming activitiesUnlikely
SonicVariety of genresMost of the franchises are not blockbusters.
Fantasy Star, Virtua FighterLarge legacy beneficial for PS+ PremiumMany PC oriented devs
Total War, Company of Heroes, Football ManagerMultimedia presence

Part II of potential M&A targets (Studios) for SIE .

StudiosValuePriceStaffPropertiesRegionsBenefitsNegatives
Kojima Productions100-200M100-200M150Not anyJapanExtremely Effective TeamBuild around one person
Prestige DeveloperToo weird for mass audience
Interests in transmedia projects
High tech level
Arc System Works100-200M100-200M150Guilty Gear, BazBlueJapanEffective team"Too anime for PlayStation"
Specialized in fighting games
Synergy with EVO
From Software860M900M+350Sekiro, Tenchu, Armored Core, King's Field, Elden Ring (may be partially?)JapanSpecialized in RPG GamesNot any
Unique style
Prestige Developer
Effective team
Blockbuster Developer
Unseen0-500-5020 - 50Not anyJapanLow costStart Up Company
Can produce original and interesting titlesToo weird for mass audience
High Risk
JP Games50-100M50-100M20 - 50Not anyJapanLow costStart Up Company
Can produce AAA JRPGsPrevious Tabata's failures
Prestige DeveloperHigh Risk
Arrowhead Games50-100M50-100M100Not anySwedenSpecialized in Co-Op GamesNot proven in AAA Games
Remedy Games235M300M+300Alan Wake, Control (?)FinlandProven in AAA GamesLatest titles are not best sellers
Good StorytellersA partnership with Tencent (3.8%) for project Vanguard
Potential in GaaSPublishing deals with Epic and 505
People Can Fly250M300-400M500Painkiller, Bulletstorm, New IPPolandPotential in GaaSHave a little success in latest titles
Multiple projectsDeals with other publishers (Square Enix currently)
Rebel Wolves50-100M50-100M20 - 50Not anyPolandLow costStart Up Company
Techland1.5-2B1.5-2B400Dying Light, New Fantasy IP, Call of JuarezPolandBlockbuster ProvenMight have problems with crunch culture
Experience in Action RPGs
Lucid Games0-500-50150Not anyUKGood Support StudioNot proven in AAA Games
Ballistic Moon0-500-5050 - 100Not anyUKLow costNot proven in AAA Games
Already has relationship with SIEStart Up Company
Could produce unique horror gamesHigh Risk
IO Interactive100-200M100-200M300Hitman, James Bond LicenseDenmarkProven in AAA GamesAlready making a game for Xbox (MS might be preferred buyer)
Unique styleUnknown status of Hitman IP
Effective team
Asobo100-200M100-200M200Plague's TaleFranceHigh tech levelAlready making a game or two for Xbox (MS might be preferred buyer)
Proven in Third Person Storytelling GamesPublishing deal with Focus Home
Larian Studios100-200M100-200M300DivinityBelgiumWRPG ExperienceTencent has 30% Stake
Unique styleMay not fit SIE Strategy
Jetpack Interactive0-500-5050Not anyUSGood Support StudioToo small to be acquired. Better to be a partner
Ember Lab0-500-5050KenaUSUnique animated experienceMight have problems with management
Fitting SIE Style of games
Firewalk Studios100-200M100-200M100 - 150Not anyUSLow costStart Up Company
Team of experienced devs
Deviation Games100-200M100-200M100 - 150Not anyUSLow costStart Up Company
Team of experienced devs
Humanoid100-200M100-200M20 - 50Not anyCanadaLow costStart Up Company
Team of experienced devs
Mind if I add to the OP?