Sony's "Wonderbook" Nostalgia. Who ever bought this???

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just popped in my mind and I remember how I was hyped to see this. For those that don't know it was Augmented Reality and literally a big book with different software. One was called the "book of spells" which was made in conjunction with Harry Potter series and JK Rowlings.

Wonderbook is a series of games and educational titles for the PlayStation 3 that make use of the PlayStation Eye camera and a blue physical book. Placing the book in front of the camera populates its pages on the screen.

This style of interaction is called Augmented Reality because of its combination of real world images on the screen with computer generated characters and architecture. The technique has appeared on a variety of platforms and simply requires that the hardware has a camera. The 3DS offered a set of AR games built in to the system and a wide variety of table and smartphone games offer the experience.

Wonderbook differs in that the AR markers, used to map the real world object to the video-game screen, are on the pages of its big book. This has the advantage of offering a familiar object as a way to interact with the game.

There are a series of different games and stories for Wonderbook:

Did any of you get to experience "Wonderbook" and what was your experience with it?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I remember thinking it looked like shit and laughing at it, as I did with literally everything AR. Except, ironically enough, for that Minecraft demo that never became anything.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I never tried it and never knew anyone that did (or told me anyway)....

I was kinda anti-Harry Potter back at the time though anyway, so I would have probably avoided it but I'm interested to know how they used the tech and if it was enjoyable at all!

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Diggs Nightcrawler looked funny, but I wasn't gonna invest in something that wasn't my style overall for the possibility of some laughs.