Source: Stadia turned down an exclusive Death Stranding follow-up from Kojima

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Before Google closed down the division in 2021, Stadia Games and Entertainment turned down the opportunity to have an exclusive follow-up to Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding.

A source has told 9to5Google that the game Kojima was working on was meant to be a Stadia-exclusive follow-up to Death Stranding, a game which initially launched as a PlayStation exclusive in 2019. Where the original Death Stranding was an asynchronous multiplayer game — where actions taken in your world can have an effect on other players, such as building signs to help others find their way — the proposed game would be strictly a single-player experience.

In fact, our source says it was that single-player nature of the game that led Google to cancel Stadia’s collaboration with Kojima, with the company believing there was no longer a market for solo experiences. Reportedly, the game had gotten initial approval from Google and had begun the early stages of development. However, shortly after the first mockups were shown in mid 2020, Google scrapped the project entirely.

P

peter42O

Yep. This has already been known. But it wasn't Death Stranding. It was a similar game but horror and episodic. This is the game that's most likely being made for Microsoft and Xbox Series.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
'follow-up' must not mean in the DS universe.... cause it wouldn't be possible.

Just a loose term to create buzz.

The whole idea of DS was to have that Asynchronous element. So continuing the IP without its signature gameplay wouldn't make much sense either.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Good thing they did. The game didnt deserve to be on a dead service no one wants

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He is talking about Kojima’s follow up game after Death Stranding.

There is no relation at all with DS.

It won’t be a surprise that the game was the one Kojima announced some months ago to Xbox.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
This has gots to be pure bullshit, like how is that even possible?
I mean i know Kojima sells his ass to the highest bidder but how you gonna get DS past Sony, they own the ip?😂

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Absolute garbage, Death Stranding is a Playstation IP.
Death Stranding is a KP IP that was published on Playstation. It's a third party studio to give Kojima control he otherwise wouldn't by his own admission, I have zero clue why people think he's married to Sony if that was the case they would've written him a check a LONG time ago to lock him in.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Death Stranding is a KP IP that was published on Playstation. It's a third party studio to give Kojima control he otherwise wouldn't by his own admission, I have zero clue why people think he's married to Sony if that was the case they would've written him a check a LONG time ago to lock him in.

Death Stranding is a PlayStation IP. He's not married to Sony, but that IP is.

3liteDragon

The 3 is silent
24 Jun 2022
Absolute garbage, Death Stranding is a Playstation IP.
I think by follow-up they mean his next game after DS which is most likely the cloud game he’s working on with Xbox, not a literal follow-up to Death Stranding since Sony owns the IP. It’s badly worded.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think by follow-up they mean his next game after DS which is most likely the cloud game he’s working on with Xbox, not a literal follow-up to Death Stranding since Sony owns the IP. It’s badly worded.

That's the only option.