The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

FyyUwkyaQAUOj1I

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Shouldn't the game be locked so it can't boot until the 22nd anyway though?

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
How they could lock physical copies? No, they could technically, but it will be something akin online DRM.
Similar to how digital pre load copies don't allow you to start the game before the release date?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Similar to how digital pre load copies don't allow you to start the game before the release date?
Disconnect the console from the internet. Wouldn't work. Digital copies are tied into the PS Store itself. Disc games aren't tied to anything. It is possible to lock batches of physical discs from being played but you'd have to be online to download the software, and even then I've only ever heard of theories. Doing that opens a whole other can of anti consumer and illegal worms.

So it'd be almost impossible to prevent physical copies from being played earlier.

• brain
Reactions: BlueLyria

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Disconnect the console from the internet. Wouldn't work. Digital copies are tied into the PS Store itself. Disc games aren't tied to anything. It is possible to lock batches of physical discs from being played but you'd have to be online to download the software, and even then I've only ever heard of theories. Doing that opens a whole other can of anti consumer and illegal worms.

So it'd be almost impossible to prevent physical copies from being played earlier.
Yeah, that makes sense, I was taking a view of an always online approach

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, that makes sense, I was taking a view of an always online approach
that's why, no one sensible, want always online or any online shit in the gaming. it gives authority to corpos and they are assholes and screw people over.
we need to hold the fort with physical and no always online shit in our games.