Square Enix has not approved its characters for Astro Bot

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
astro-bot-tied-1.webp

According to Doucet, they approached Square Enix about it, but it wasn’t able to get it approved.

“It’s difficult to comment on that,” Doucet notes, and added, “We really respect the choice of each publisher.”
For those not old enough to remember, Final Fantasy 7 was the first game in the franchise to be released on a PlayStation platform, and this was after Square Enix decided to develop the game on the original PlayStation (PS1) instead of the Nintendo 64, with the PS1’s CD format cited as the main reason for Square to jump ship. This was noteworthy, as before FF7’s release on the PS1, Nintendo was the go-to platform for anything Final Fantasy, and the franchise’s jump from Nintendo to Sony signaled an end of an era, and essentially won the console wars then.

Source

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I wonder if Square is salty that Sony won't release them from their exclusivity contracts. Sony knows best. There are no extra sales to be had on the PC and Xbox graveyards
If the awful sales performance of FF16 on PC don't wake him up then they need to fire him. He made so much damage to the brand when he started posing with Phil and badmouthing the exclusivity. There would be no Square without Sony. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
You guys know that meme of King Ghidorah where one of the heads looks stupid? Well that's Square amongst their fellow Japanese 3rd party publishers like Bandai and Capcom. They constantly pout about sales but at the same time don't want to feature their characters in a game that is GOTY material this year on the console platform with the biggest mindshare where they also shared a rich history with? Go figured.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If the awful sales performance of FF16 on PC don't wake him up then they need to fire him. He made so much damage to the brand when he started posing with Phil and badmouthing the exclusivity. There would be no Square without Sony. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
It was actually Sony's fault for not buying Squaresoft when they were cheap. Squaresoft was because of Spirits Within on the brink of bankruptcy. But no Sony rather watched them fuse with Enix. -.-

• sad

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
@Systemshock2023 You're a clown. Laughing about such an disappointing outcome shows who you really are.

So you think all japanese third parties should bend over/ pledge allegiance to Sony just because? That the Sony fanboy mindset since the PS2 days and it hasn't changed one bit.

If it's not specified on a contract square doesn't have to lend any characters.

I thought the game was a celebration of Sony's own IP. Other wise you would have an Astrobot for Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Snake, Paul from Tekken, Jon Kabira of Winning eleven, Tommy Vercetti, CJ, CD/DVD-R...

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Always interesting to see how many of you are actual children.

This is just business.

Square Enix charges fees for licensing like most companies. They're also particular how their IP is utilized.. like most companies.

Everything boils down to console wars and personalities with you guys.

It's time to go touch grass.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So you think all japanese third parties should bend over/ pledge allegiance to Sony just because? That the Sony fanboy mindset since the PS2 days and it hasn't changed one bit.

If it's not specified on a contract square doesn't have to lend any characters.

I thought the game was a celebration of Sony's own IP. Other wise you would have an Astrobot for Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Snake, Paul from Tekken, Jon Kabira of Winning eleven, Tommy Vercetti, CJ, CD/DVD-R...
It's not only about Sony's own IPs. They never claimed that about Astrobot in the first place. It celebrates PlayStation history which includes FF7! Heck even stubborn Konami appproved of using their IPs. You're just a delusional PC fanboy who hates Sony on a daily basis. Go f**k yourself you miserable existence.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Someone once posted official sketches of them on one of my discords, so I was sure they would make It into the game.

I remember there being mostly characters that came from games that were at some point PlayStation exclusives, like Zero, Cloud, Caim, 2B, Clive but there also were some other characters from old Square games that I didnt recognize.

If I managed to potentialy dig them out, could I post It on Iconera? I dont want to get you guys nuked by Sony lawyers lol

• Cerny

excaliburps

Media
13 Jun 2024
Thanks! And yes, this is very confusing as well. It's not like they (Team Asobi) is adding some random character. I mean, Sweet Tooth not being included is fine and all, but Cloud? Really?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's not only about Sony's own IPs. They never claimed that about Astrobot in the first place. It celebrates PlayStation history which includes FF7! Heck even stubborn Konami appproved of using their IPs. You're just a delusional PC fanboy who hates Sony on a daily basis. Go f**k yourself you miserable existence.

C'mon mate take a chill pill. What Konami does is their own business. If they are fine lending their characters for Astrobot so be it. You can't throw a tantrum because other third parties decide different. "How dare they!"