Star Ocean The Second Story R Achieves Over 2,000 Steam Reviews; 96% Positive

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Following the launch of the Gemdrops-developed remake Star Ocean The Second Story R, the game has now achieved over 2,000 user reviews on Steam. The title received over 1,000 user reviews back during its launch month, so it’s neat to see that momentum retained, especially since it’s overwhelmingly positive.

In particular, 96% of the 2,015 user reviews are positive, which is quite impressive for a Star Ocean title. Aside from the PC ports of other Star Ocean games not being especially great, the general reception of the games themselves is more mixed. Here’s hoping the series is given more opportunity to shine in the future. In the meantime, I’ll be in my corner wishing for a remake of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, my personal favorite entry.

Thanks to the Star Ocean The Second Story R director Yuichiro Kaito sharing the news regarding the positive Steam reviews. In an interview, he said that the reception to this remake has been better than expected.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I platinumed it, the game is as fun and as tough you want to make it. The systems in the game let you absolutely break the game. Bloody armor is still as insane as I remember in the original. My advice would be to play the first play through normally without using the game breaking stuff and save scumming to get marvel sword. For the second playthrough with other protagonist you can bum rush through the game in 2-3 hours in NG with bloody armor. Don't forget to plan which party members you want in each run or would have to land up doing more than 2 runs. Overall this remake is 9/10

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not sure today how it holds but in 1998 it was a blast to play.
The gameplay ripped from original Tales of from SNES buy in 3D was engaging.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Weird considering this isn't a free to play, multiplayer game as I was led to believe.
?

How do you believed that? It was a remake from a 1998 game single-player only. with only local multiplayer (you can have different people controlling different characters in the same screen like Mana games).

And Free to Play? It is a single player game focused in history and not gameplay loop.

Edit - Star Ocean 2 never had local multiplayer… Tales of on SNES had… sorry my bad memory.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
@Dr Bass, you must of played this, give us your take.
I played the demo. I thought it was great, so maybe one day I'll do the whole thing. The original game is a classic, and it has a great soundtrack ... nothing to not like here IMO. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is not my kind of game at all, but the demo is nice enough. I really like the mix of AA 3D graphics and pixel art. English voice acting is above average for this kind of JRPG. I tried it on Steam Deck and wasn't tempted to dig into the graphics settings, which I count as a win.

Reactions: Gamernyc78