Star Wars Fans Launch Class Action Lawsuit Over Cancelled KOTOR 2 DLC

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
kotor-2.jpg

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords was ported to Switch last year, breathing new life into the often-overlooked sequel. Better yet, the announcement trailer stated that the Restored Content Mod would be available as DLC, which as many fans will tell you, is the best way to experience the classic RPG. However, amid trouble behind the scenes, the DLC was later cancelled, leaving KOTOR 2 just as unfinished as it is on other platforms.

Now, fans are mobilising, launching a class action lawsuit against developer Aspyr Media and publisher Saber Interactive. The suit is said to involve multiple fans who purchased KOTOR 2 on Switch, arguing that they would not have done so if not for the promised DLC. The suit argues that Aspyr and Saber are legally obligated to provide refunds, as some buyers say they never even played the game because they were waiting for the restored content.

The case, Malachi Mickelonis v. Aspyr Media, Inc. et al, can be viewed online, showing that it was filed in July of this year. The fans and their lawyer, Ray Kim, demand a jury trial, and the defendants have until October 4 to respond.

In 2022, Defendants [Aspyr and Saber] advertised KOTOR to users of the video console Nintendo Switch as having never-before released 'Restored Content DLC.Plaintiff and numerous other consumers were excited about the new content that Defendants claimed was 'coming soon.' In fact, KOTOR sat at the top of Nintendo’s e-Shop rankings.

Plaintiff felt completely duped," the lawsuit continues. "In fact, Plaintiff did not even play KOTOR after purchasing it, instead choosing to wait until the Restored Content DLC was released.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty and Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I feel bad for Aspyr as they likely ran into all kinds of licensing and technical troubles in bringing the Kotor 2 restoration mod, which is my understanding of what they were doing, to console.

But you don’t make promises you can’t keep without consequences. Unless your last name is Spencer.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All I know is KOTOR is my favourite Star Wars games. Give me more of it

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
As a long-time Mac user, and one of the people who bought their “remaster” of Star Wars Episode One Racer not realizing it was made by those twits, all I can do is laugh at anyone expecting Aspyr to actually live up to promises.

They had a LONG history of failing to deliver with their Mac OS ports, and things like never patching the games they put out to parity with the PC releases, or promising expansions would come to the Mac and then not actually releasing them.

I think the fact that they “remastered” the fucking N64 version of Racer, rather than porting the PC/Dreamcast version pretty much sums up their level of competence.