Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Development is Paused Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I knew that merger/buyout with Embracer would fuck with things. I wonder if Saber is fully going to take control of project?

I made a good assumption, I read further and this quote basically affirms my suspicions.

"The fate of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic remains unclear. In May, Embracer announced that Saber Interactive would also join the project. Some at Aspyr believe that Saber, which has mainly been doing outsourcing work for the project, may take it over completely."

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I dont even want to play this anymore. I should have know it was gonna suck when Aspyr’s port of KoTOR 2 released in a state where you couldn’t even finish the game without an exploit so they gave it away for free.

Only thing that gets me hype about this game is if they give it to Bluepoint

• fire
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I dont even want to play this anymore. I should have know it was gonna suck when Aspyr’s port of KoTOR 2 released in a state where you couldn’t even finish the game without an exploit so they gave it away for free.

Only thing that gets me hype about this game is if they give it to Bluepoint

Saber is working on this dont worry. I think internally they will take over the project. But seeing this anytime soon is now a ways off, and if Sony doesn't like where this game is at they could pull out.

Reactions: Cragarmi
P

peter42O

If true, this sucks. Was looking forward to this. Oh well.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony is completely ass’d out in terms of WRPG at this point.

They better make that call to Poland

Dial In Phone Call GIF by Build-A-Bear Workshop

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
In-house > than.....
Saber interactive has shown they are very competent. They will take over project more than likely. Just sucks because this puts them back if saber throws out what they had already worked on. And this is a full on remake from the ground up, so if saber is starting from scratch that puts this back to like 2025 at earliest.

• sad
Reactions: Hobbygaming

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Saber interactive has shown they are very competent. They will take over project more than likely. Just sucks because this puts them back if saber throws out what they had already worked on. And this is a full on remake from the ground up, so if saber is starting from scratch that puts this back to like 2025 at earliest.
TBH KoToR is STUPIDLY small by today's standards. It could literally be a mod in UE4 or even resurrecting the Odyssey Engine that ran Dragon Age/Dragon Age II. I can't imagine what they're actually changing more than cosmetics and adjustments to moving so it doesn't feel clunky.

D

Deleted member 223

Saber has shown to be consistently a borderline B tier studio, and their output attests to this. Could they pull a rabbit out of the hat like Blupoint? Kotor is way way more complex (development wise) of a game than Demon Souls, and expectations are even higher.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I knew that merger/buyout with Embracer would fuck with things. I wonder if Saber is fully going to take control of project?

I made a good assumption, I read further and this quote basically affirms my suspicions.
Embracer owns Saber, who owns Aspyr. LucasArts and Sony had the deal with Aspyr, not with Saber or Embracer. LucasArts and Sony will want this game to be done meeting certain deadlines and quality.

AAA games need a lot of work and basically always they have support teams and outsourcing teams. Saber bought them and they have experience working as support teams, so did help with this project.

So in the case they fired the directors (if it's the case I assume the reason is that it wasn't progressing well enough in both the time and quality expected), Aspyr + Saber will replace them with whoever is needed and will do whatever changes are needed to fix it. It's a big game (30h main story, 46h completionist) a and a very old game (it will be over 20 years old game once released, which won't be soon). Meaning there's a shit ton of work to do. So pretty likely they are also trying to find additional teams to help them.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
the star wars IP is just toxic and a complete waste of time.

yawn.

giphy.gif

won't be missed

Last edited:

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Embracer owns Saber, who owns Aspyr. LucasArts and Sony had the deal with Aspyr, not with Saber or Embracer. LucasArts and Sony will want this game to be done meeting certain deadlines and quality.

AAA games need a lot of work and basically always they have support teams and outsourcing teams. Saber bought them and they have experience working as support teams, so did help with this project.

So in the case they fired the directors (if it's the case I assume the reason is that it wasn't progressing well enough in both the time and quality expected), Aspyr + Saber will replace them with whoever is needed and will do whatever changes are needed to fix it. It's a huge game and a very old game. Meaning there's a shit ton of work to do. So pretty likely they are also trying to find additional teams to help them.
Kotor is ridiculously small, it's only "big" cause of the dialog but the actual scope is small, there are mobile RPGS bigger than KoToR lol.

I know because KoToR and Jet Set Radio Future are my 2 favorite games of ALL time, you can sit through the dialog and still finish the game in a decent playthrough in about 12-15 hours once you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.