Star Wars Outlaws' Director: 'Bad Faith' Discourse About Protagonist's Appearance 'Not Worth Engaging In'

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Star Wars Outlaws creative director Julian Gerighty isn't interested in entertaining "bad faith" conversations about the upcoming Ubisoft game's protagonist, Kay Vess.

As previews for the upcoming open-world title rolled out this week, Gerighty, in an interview with The Washington Post, touched on the discourse that some are pushing on social media that Kay isn't "attractive enough." His response? Don't give that conversation attention.

"Kay is meant to be approachable, a petty thief who ends up barreling through this story, making bad decisions and centered with a lot of humor, humility, and toughness," Gerighty said. "That's what's important to me. And she's beautiful, come on."

"It makes no sense to me and it's not worth engaging with," he continued. "If you engage with bad-faith people, there's no nuance and no possibility of real dialogue. So all we can do is make the best game possible."

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
She's cute to me, idk what the hate is about. And they should've followed this advice for AC Shadows as well, these pricks don't deserve a response, it just emboldens them even more.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
99% of people who buy the game won't give a shit about any of this stuff and it will exactly the same with assassins creed aswell

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
LOL there's nothing wrong with the protagonist. It's just your typical Ubisoft open world game.

Avatar was a Far Cry mod, this one is an Assassin's Creed mod.

When are people going to wise up...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
She's cute to me, idk what the hate is about. And they should've followed this advice for AC Shadows as well, these pricks don't deserve a response, it just emboldens them even more.
She's not that cute but people are acting like she's some sort of disfigured monstrosity. She's not, she's just average looking.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
She's not that cute but people are acting like she's some sort of disfigured monstrosity. She's not, she's just average looking.
Again all this would not have been an issue if it was some other dev with better prestige, ubisoft have no one to blame but their own mediocrity. Selene in returnal is also very average looking but the game is made by housemarque so the criticism is very muted/non-existent.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bad faith is to make the main protagonist ugly, ugly, uncharismatic and unappealing for the main demographics that normally are buy this type of game on purpose, just to make propaganda of the social engineeing from foreigner economical elites.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Some pics she looks cute, others she looks average, but yeah overall it’s a fine design. Fable chick is what I would consider a disfigured monstrosity and I’ve seen Kay get more hate than her 😂

Again all this would not have been an issue if it was some other dev with better prestige, ubisoft have no one to blame but their own mediocrity. Selene in returnal is also very average looking but the game is made by housemarque so the criticism is very muted/non-existent.
Selene is a middle aged lady, so the expectations are different because of that, not cuz it’s a lesser known dev. She looks fine to me for her age and her voice acting work was amazing.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Selene is a middle aged lady, so the expectations are different because of that, not cuz it’s a lesser known dev. She looks fine to me for her age and her voice acting work was amazing.
I meant Housemarque has more prestige than ubisoft especially amongst the enthusiast circle so they can get away with an average looking character also housemarque's gameplay runs laps around ubisoft's template gaming. Ubisoft has lied, scammed, downgraded their games so many times that people at large look at their trailers and games with a fine toothed comb to deservedly shit on them.

The chick looking average with a mop on her head is whatever but she is a discount han solo.

Reactions: Zzero

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I meant Housemarque has more prestige than ubisoft especially amongst the enthusiast circle so they can get away with an average looking character also housemarque's gameplay runs laps around ubisoft's template gaming. Ubisoft has lied, scammed, downgraded their games so many times that people at large look at their trailers and games with a fine toothed comb to deservedly shit on them.

The chick looking average with a mop on her head is whatever but she is a discount han solo.
Only on the internet, Ubisoft is still a beloved publisher in the casual space.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I never saw this outrage.

Seems like manufactured marketing for someone … I think that’s just how they market Star Wars these days and accuse fans of hating women or something as Disney Wars continues to fail.

The truth is Disney Wars is trash and could be better written by AI.

Ubisoft’s Outlaws probably the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Rogue One. I expect better from Ubisoft than Lucasfilm at this point. Whatever fans are still left — this is all they got.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
The truth is Disney Wars is trash and could be better written by AI.

Ubisoft’s Outlaws probably the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Rogue One. I expect better from Ubisoft than Lucasfilm at this point. Whatever fans are still left — this is all they got.
I'll throw Respawn's Star Wars Jedi in there too. While I have issues with how Respawn go about the combat of the games in term of just good Star Wars shit like story and characters those two games delivered for me in those aspects. Fallen Order and Survivor mopped the floor over a bunch of the recent Star Wars materials that Disney have dished out.