Star Wars Outlaws: One Planet Size Equivalent to 2-3 Zones in AC Odyssey, Locations All “Handcrafted”

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
star-wars-outlaws-image-2.jpg

Speaking in the latest issue of EDGE magazine (issue #387), Creative Director Julian Gerighty shared some new details regarding Star Wars Outlaws, with one of them confirming that each planet in the game is big enough that traversing it — even with high-speed vehicles — will feel like a “journey. In comparison, the size of one planet might be about equivalent to two or three zones in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey.

Another thing Gerighty confirmed is that each location is “handcrafted,” and that the studio has not procedurally generated an entire planet.

Here are more details straight from Gerighty:

• Focusing on “full freedom of approach” when it comes to encounters.
  • Exclusive quests, vendor prices, locked off areas can be accessed by the Reputation system. If you’re not in a faction’s good side, they can send people to chase you down, monetary punishment is also part of it/
  • Players will not have “total free rein” in terms of travel, you won’t be able to freely fly above the planet, and there will be set landing and take-off areas.
  • Nix (alien companion of protagonist Vass) can be directed by players to attack enemies, activate out-of-reach buttons, cause distractions, pick up heavy weapons from fallen foes, Massive says Nix is like a cross between Watch Dogs’ spiderbot, BioShock Infinite’s Elizabeth or like BD-1 from EA’s Star Wars Jedi games.
  • Each planet was designed to be big enough that traversing will feel like a “journey even on a vehicle that’s fast moving.
  • One planet equivalent to two to three of the zones in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
  • Locations are all “handcrafted” and there are no procedurally generated entire planets
  • Vass’ ship Trailblazer inspired by toys of the 1970s and was made to be “very, very simple.”
  • Game is set between Empire and Jedi, so Massive tans to emulate that “feel.” The studio has been developing tech which “emulates some of the lenses of the 1970s.”
  • ND-5 droid (Vass’ companion) design lifted from prequels.
Star Wars Outlaws has no firm release date yet outside of “2024” and it’s set for release on PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC.

Source via MP1ST

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its Ubisoft so I take it all with a grain of salt. It will not look like the reveal thats for sure

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yep that's a Starfield jab right there. But it's Ubisoft so there is a catch somewhere
This is where the catch is:
Locations are all “handcrafted” and there are no procedurally generated entire planets
"No procedurally generated entire planets"

I think most parts of the landscape have to be procedurally generated, but not the entire planets (maybe cities and othe relevant areas are handcrafted).

If don't right that's correct, a game where every planet in a given universe has every grain of sand, every rock, every three, every leaf, every river and every lake all hand crafted then carefully placed would take a million years to make with a 10 000 people team.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I really dont like that every game has to be this huge crap.
seriously. Games are too long and wasting my time with this huge open worlds with nothing inside.
"hand crafted" my asssss. Someone placed enemies on a generated terrain

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I really dont like that every game has to be this huge crap.
seriously. Games are too long and wasting my time with this huge open worlds with nothing inside.
"hand crafted" my asssss. Someone placed enemies on a generated terrain
I feel like its just gonna be assassins creed ”hand crafted” activities but in space lol

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Seems they took the insomniac approach when it comes to hand crafted worlds/levels.

Make them vertical, medium and not too wide. You get more levels/worlds and more time to handcraft them.
Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted comes to mind.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Part of No Man Sky's legacy will be to make the term "Procedurally Generated" forever misunderstood and negatively associated. Kudos to Ubi's marketing team for capitalising on this. Realistically though, Games rely on procedural generation for level design, enemy spawns, itemization etc. Most Open worlds are created using procedural generation before the artists come over and "handcraft" locations.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Seems they took the insomniac approach when it comes to hand crafted worlds/levels.

Make them vertical, medium and not too wide. You get more levels/worlds and more time to handcraft them.
Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted comes to mind.
TLoU 2 and some levels in Killzone SF remain the best examples of this as far as I am concerned.