Starfield Has Been Played by 13 Million Players | Average Playtime per Player is 40 Hours

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
AKQA_ION_EOY_infographic_9x16.png

But we’re not just here to say goodbye to 2023. We’ve been hard at work on everything coming to Starfield in 2024. While we’re not ready to go into all the details just yet, here’s a glimpse at some of the things we’re cooking up.

First, we’re targeting updates roughly every six weeks starting in February. These updates will include everything from quality-of-life improvements to content and feature updates. Join our Steam Beta branch to be the first to try these updates as they begin rolling out.

We've been reading all your feedback and are excited to start launching these new features. We'll be adding new ways to travel and you’ll now be able to access city maps while exploring the major cities. For those of you who love ship building, we'll also be expanding on ship customization with ship decorations, new ship building options, and more.

We're also excited to be adding all new Gameplay options. With these new settings you'll be able to alter your gameplay to allow for an easier or more challenging experience that will expand beyond our normal "Difficulty" setting. These will allow you to easily customize carry capacity, cargo access distance, ship damage, vendor credits, how you suffer afflictions, new survival mechanics, and more.

Next, official mod support will be coming to Starfield with the launch of Creations. Beginning early next year, Starfield will be getting its own exporter and you’ll have access to a new Creation Kit. Modding has always been an enormous part of our games, with incredible community-made content constantly bringing fresh new experiences. With the scale and systems in Starfield, we can’t wait to see what you come up with!

And lastly, the team is hard at work on the development of Shattered Space, our first major expansion coming next year. You’ll have new story content, new locations, new gear, and much more. We can’t wait to share more with you next year.

Thank you so much for all the amazing feedback and please keep it coming. We do read it all, and it guides us in what you really want to see in the game going forward. For the latest on Starfield, make sure to join Constellation and get exclusive access to our Constellation Discord.

Source

• thinking_hard
Reactions: laynelane

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'd feel sorry for anyone with such poor game selection that they need to put that kind of time into Starfield, but Xbots don't deserve sympathy.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have a REAL hard time believing that "average time" lol. Unless there are players that are such extreme outliers they are skewing the data.

I finished the game in like 25 hours and did enough side content to suit me. I even tried a little new game+ to see what it was all about before packing it up for good.

Also logging into the xbox site and looking at the achievements ... only 33% of players have reached level 10. So that means The majority of people aren't playing the game that long, but the average play time is more than well enough to complete it? Certainly to get to level 10 and beyond.

None of that adds up.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
So successful that Bethesda felt the need to personally go and argue with people who left negative Steam reviews. And Emil P. cried on Twitter because people don't understand how hard it is to make games. More useless metrics and future updates (which will likely cause more technical problems as is usual for Bethesda) aren't going to change anyone's mind about this game. Extreme Xbox fans will still defend it and everyone else will keep not playing it.

As a small aside, it's amusing to see how deciding not to release on PS has turned out. MS lost an estimated 10 million sales and we were saved from buying a thoroughly mediocre game. Win-win, lol.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I have a REAL hard time believing that "average time" lol. Unless there are players that are such extreme outliers they are skewing the data.

I finished the game in like 25 hours and did enough side content to suit me. I even tried a little new game+ to see what it was all about before packing it up for good.

Also logging into the xbox site and looking at the achievements ... only 33% of players have reached level 10. So that means The majority of people aren't playing the game that long, but the average play time is more than well enough to complete it? Certainly to get to level 10 and beyond.

None of that adds up.

I'm not sure I believe it either. I'm reminded of when they put out the picture post-release with all the critic scores - and one of the scores was a perfect 5/5 from an organization that had not completed their review. The eventual released review was 6/10. I wish I could remember the name of the organization, but maybe someone else can. Point is I don't believe they're above exaggerating/lying here - that goes for MS and Bethesda.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
None of that adds up.

It's a Besthesda RPG, folks that like their games, or might want to like the game are going to play a metric ton of it. Of course there's a bunch of long hours played.

Just at the Steam page and looking at the reviews that are considered "most helpful in the last 30 days"
You've got reviews with hours played : 133 hours, 262 hours, 188 hours, 288 hours, 291 hours, etc...

I believe the data, but like all PR statements about engagements it's all going to be in the most positive light.
Nobody is going to go into the nitty gritty of how many people play from 1-10 hours, 11-20 hours, and so on.
People drop games quite often, even the most well received games are like that.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
40 hours is terrible for a game that Xbox fanboys brag about having so much content. 100%ing GoW Ragnarok took me almost 70 hours and that’s a linear game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's a Besthesda RPG, folks that like their games, or might want to like the game are going to play a metric ton of it. Of course there's a bunch of long hours played.

Just at the Steam page and looking at the reviews that are considered "most helpful in the last 30 days"
You've got reviews with hours played : 133 hours, 262 hours, 188 hours, 288 hours, 291 hours, etc...

I believe the data, but like all PR statements about engagements it's all going to be in the most positive light.
Nobody is going to go into the nitty gritty of how many people play from 1-10 hours, 11-20 hours, and so on.
I can't fathom the level of brain damage needed to sink thousands of hours into a Bethesda shitfest.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
40 hours is terrible for a game that Xbox fanboys brag about having so much content. 100%ing GoW Ragnarok took me almost 70 hours and that’s a linear game.
I think 40h is extremely impressive given how boring this game is, I just don't believe this stat is true.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Ahh yes.

Sony: We sold 50 million consoles.

MS: Useless metrics go!

Allow me to translate corporate bs.

"Not even half of our active GP players played the game, let alone finished or bought it. Also, here's a fake statistic about average play time, easily discredited by looking at Xbox achievements, because only 33% of players reached level 10. Which is just a few hours in."

I have about 51 hours in the game. Finished the main story, all factions, one companion full quest and quite a few side activities. Meanwhile, only about 20% of people joined a faction at all.

Nice try, MS.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Starfield had 13 million players. Astro Playroom had 50 million players. Astro Playroom is the real game of the generation. :sneaky:

• thisistheway
Reactions: JAHGamer

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Oh, of course there are people who are going to have those kinds of hours in it, but the number of them required when most of the people playing it aren't even getting to level 10 ... seems like it wouldn't happen. I could be wrong, but I dont think people here and there would cut it. It would have to be a solid number of people, and the game just isn't popular (which the achievement stats back up IMO). I have hard a hard time believing the average is 40 hours, when the average is also for most people to not play very much. Like I said, I played it for 25 hours and completed the main quest along with some side quest stuff.

So yeah, not really buying it.

Reactions: Johnic

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
13 million was not old info?

Edit - Ohhh it was 12 million... it barely moved.

They will announce each 1 million? lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
13 million was not old info?

Edit - Ohhh it was 12 million... it barely moved.

They will announce each 1 million? lol

Snails pace. Terrible imo. Only half of the reported 25 million users (fake non active users bullshit number).

Maybe if they went f2p they could’ve hit 20 million like halo “did.”

Gamepass not moving subs or users. Unsustainable.