Steam Awards 2023: Winners Announced

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
and-the-winners-are-v0-85z3t1yxg2ac1.png

The Steam Awards 2023 voting has concluded, revealing the list of winners. The Steam community, voting across 11 categories, has selected the best games of the year, emphasizing immersive gameplay, stunning visuals, and intriguing storytelling. In line with other prestigious award shows like the Golden Joystick Awards and Game of the Year Awards, Baldur's Gate 3 emerges as the major winner of the year. Explore the diverse titles celebrated at the Steam Awards, establishing itself as one of the most prestigious gaming events of the year.

Steam

Game of the Year Award

• Winner: Baldur's Gate 3
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Lethal Company
  • Resident Evil 4

VR Game of the Year Award

• I Expect You to Die 3
  • Winner: Labyrinthine
  • EA Sports F1 2023
  • Gorilla Tag
  • Ghosts of Tabor

Labor of Love Award

• Dota 2
  • Rust
  • Apex Legends
  • Winner: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Deep Rock Galactic

Best Game on Steam Deck Award

• Diablo 4
  • Winner: Hogwarts Legacy
  • Brotato
  • Dredge
  • The Outlast Trials

Better With Friends Award

• Sunkenland
  • Party Animals
  • Sons of the Forest
  • Winner: Lethal Company
  • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

Outstanding Visual Style Award

• Inward
  • High on Life
  • Cocoon
  • Darkest Dungeon 2
  • Atomic Heart

Most Innovative Gameplay Award

• Shadow of Doubt
  • Contraband Police
  • Your Only Move is Hustle
  • Remnant 2
  • Winner: Starfield

Best Game You Suck At Award

• Winner: Sifu
  • EA Sports FC 24
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Lords of the Fallen
  • Overwatch 2

Best Soundtrack Award

• Pizza Tower
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Winner: The Last of Us Part
  • Chants of Sennaar

Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award

• Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Love Is All Around
  • Lies of P
  • Winner: Baldur's Gate 3
  • Resident Evil 4

Sit Back and Relax Award

• Winner: Dave the Diver
  • Train Sim World 4
  • Potion Craft
  • Cities Skylines 2
  • Coral Island

Summary of Winenrs in the Steam Awards:

CategoryWinner
Game of the Year AwardBaldur's Gate 3
VR Game of the Year AwardLabyrinthine
Labor of Love AwardRed Dead Redemption 2
Best Game on Steam Deck AwardHogwarts Legacy
Better With Friends AwardLethal Company
Outstanding Visual Style AwardAtomic Heart
Most Inovative Gameplay AwardStarfield
Best Game You Suck At AwardSIFU
Best Soundtrack AwardThe Last of Us
Outstanding Story-Rich Game AwardBaldur's Gate 3
Sit Back and Relax AwardDave the Diver

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Steam Awards always funny to see, lol. It really illustrates that user nominated and use voted awards are just a big crapshoot.

Lots of trolling from users as well as Valve's "suggestions" algorithm at the beginning is not really picking up the best titles.

RDR2 winning Labor of Love is straight trolling by Steam users though : Hey Rockstar, could you please release GTA VI Day 1 on Steam?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Starfield winning Innovative Gameplay is ridiculous but somehow not as bad as how the bleep did RDR2 get Labor of Love when I believe it didn’t even have an update in 2023? 🤨

It's just port begging, it's all it is, and/or users found it funny when Steam first recommended the game to vote on during the first wave of voting back in November.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023
It's just port begging, it's all it is, and/or users found it funny when Steam first recommended the game to vote on during the first wave of voting back in November.
the problem is they incentivize voting by giving users rewards who vote for everything so most people just vote for whatever in order get the rewards which in turn makes the results mean nothing

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Starfield winning Innovative Gameplay is ridiculous but somehow not as bad as how the bleep did RDR2 get Labor of Love when I believe it didn’t even have an update in 2023? 🤨
Hard to consolidate it with the actual steam rating

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Someone wrote this about it on the pure Xbox article , I don't get it but I still laughed 🤣
I saw Todd Howard at a grocery store in D.C. yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.