Steam confirms your account can't be transferred to another person after you die

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
A curious user decided to ask Steam directly if after his death he could transfer his account and games to someone else through a will. Valve's answer was clear: the account is unique to the user and cannot be transferred, even after death.

User: Hello Steam support, this is a quick question to quell an issue that has been plaguing me. I don't plan on dying any time soon, but when I do, can ownership of my Steam account be transferred through a will?
Steam Support: Hi, thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately Steam accounts and games are not transferable. Steam Support cannot provide another person with access to the account or merge its contents with another account. I regret to inform you that your Steam account cannot be transferred through a will.

7AVatos.png

It seems that the account is yours and yours alone and cannot be transferred to other users. Of course, nothing prevents you from leaving the login and password to someone else, unless Steam is planning to deactivate the accounts after a certain number of years.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
what a non-issue. just leave your passwords in your will, fixed. Leave your phone with your authenticator app as well. Done, problem solved.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This was obviously not a concern 21 years ago, but from now on this subject will definitely start to turn heads.