Steam Deck 2 is 'years away'

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
JLWNTttP9rWMyGFzFssGJQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The Steam Deck has been a significant hit. So, a sequel seems something of a certainty. But any Steam Deck 2 with a major performance upgrade remains at least a "few years" away.

So says Steam Deck designer Lawrence Yang. Speaking to ye olde Rock Paper Shotgun , what Yang said specifically was, "a true next-gen Deck with a significant bump in horsepower wouldn’t be for a few years."

This shouldn't really be a surprise. After all, the Steam Deck is only now celebrating its first birthday. It's a very slick bit of kit with lots of custom-engineered and commissioned hardware, not least of which is its AMD AP. That makes for a significant investment. So, just like the big games consoles, Steam Deck likes requires a multi-year life cycle to recoup that investment. Rolling out a major upgrade inside, say, 18 months, isn't gonna fly financially.

Yang and his fellow Steam Deck designer, Pierre-Loup Griffais, also point out that there are benefits to providing a stable target for game developers. "If high-end current-gen titles are able to scale to Deck and be a great experience, it also enables smoother performance on a wider variety of PCs, and improve the experience for the whole playerbase," Griffais says.

And, again much like more conventional consoles, the full capabilities of the Steam Deck are still being unleashed, as the recent update to Doom Eternal with added ray-tracing(opens in new tab) running on the Deck demonstrates.

D

Deleted member 417

There's a possibility, albeit a slim one, that the next Steam Deck has a home dock to turn it into a console and Valve slip into the console space to fill in for one of the Big 3 who have just turned into a 3rd party publisher (of the year 2021)

Reactions: Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There's a possibility, albeit a slim one, that the next Steam Deck has a home dock to turn it into a console and Valve slip into the console space to fill in for one of the Big 3 who have just turned into a 3rd party publisher (of the year 2021)
There’s also a possibility I could wake up tomorrow to discover I’ve grown four more penises.

It doesn’t mean either one of those possibilities is realistic.

D

Deleted member 417

There’s also a possibility I could wake up tomorrow to discover I’ve grown four more penises.

It doesn’t mean either one of those possibilities is realistic.
The steamdeck is the closest thing to a console that Valve have ever released. Slapping a dock on Steam Deck 2 and calling it home console would be an easy side step into the console market, if they so choose.

And would your four penises be in a row, like one on top of the other, or in a quad 'minigun' style set up?

Reactions: Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The steamdeck is the closest thing to a console that Valve have ever released. Slapping a dock on Steam Deck 2 and calling it home console would be an easy side step into the console market, if they so choose.

And would your four penises be in a row, like one on top of the other, or in a quad 'minigun' style set up?
Steam Machines were the closest thing to consoles Valve ever sold.

How did that work out in long-term support and refreshes?

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Steam Machines were the closest thing to consoles Valve ever sold.

How did that work out in long-term support and refreshes?
They were doomed to fail because they were just PC in a box with different hardware variants, from what I can remember. Steam deck is a fixed set of hardware though, which gives it the advantage over Steambox.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They were doomed to fail because they were just PC in a box with different hardware variants, from what I can remember. Steam deck is a fixed set of hardware though, which gives it the advantage over Steambox.
A Steam Deck is a PC in a smaller box with a screen. It’s not Jesus in a box.

D

Deleted member 417

A Steam Deck is a PC in a smaller box with a screen. It’s not Jesus in a box.
lol I know but it is fixed hardware. It moves away from the difficulties/benefits of PC and keeps it more inline with what a 'console' is.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
lol I know but it is fixed hardware. It moves away from the difficulties/benefits of PC and keeps it more inline with what a 'console' is.
And PC gamers will cry like bitches if any game targets the Deck and doesn’t make their PC cause the local power plant to go into overdrive, so nobody’s going to bother.

• haha
D

Deleted member 417

And PC gamers will cry like bitches if any game targets the Deck and doesn’t make their PC cause the local power plant to go into overdrive, so nobody’s going to bother.
Fair point, splitting the valve userbase between PC and console would cause the PCMR to meltdown. It would be funny though.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The current Steamdeck already has a dock, but as a $99 (paid separatedly) add-on:
https://www.steamdeck.com/en/dock

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
If there is one thing I appreciate the Deck for is how it made some PCMR purists ok with running some games at 30fps.

For what is worth, I like it for what it is.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ah, look forward to it. If there is no PSP3 by then Ill get a Steamdeck 2.
Also Will be powerful enough with better battery run games that arent on consoles like indies, total wars and older games like Vampire Masq with mods etc

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

:shh: The dock is all smoke and mirrors anyway, all you really need is a USB out. :shh:

Also, Steam Machines failed because Valve didn't make the hardware itself, third parties wouldn't sell it at a loss and the end result was a PS4 that cost twice as much as a real PS4 but had a far shittier controller and no first party games.