Steam users have spent $19 billion on games they’ve never played

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
steam-pile-of-shame-580x334.jpeg
Out of all the registered Steam accounts in the world, only 10%, or about 73 million in SteamIDFinder’s database, are public. Based on data from those accounts, we calculate that collectively there’s around $1.9 billion / £1.4 billion worth of games that have been purchased and then never played even a single time. Times that by ten, to roughly account for all the Steam profiles that are not public, and you arrive at $19 billion, more than the gross national product of Nicaragua, Niger, Chad, or Mauritius.
via PCGamesN

• haha
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2spooky5me and Umar

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
I'm ngl I have way more games in my steam library than I've actually played not even defending this it tracks
Fwiw though there's a lot of games that wind up in cheap bundles where you only really want a couple of games in the full bundle. Humble Bundle hits lol

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Of course, pc isn't for playing games.

That's why Banana is so successful on steam. Other non games that are popular on pc are Farm Sim and Bis Simulator.

Reactions: Umar

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
You can actually see this freely on peoples' accounts (if they set it to public).
I've seen accounts with badge levels at 60+ (which is insane) and have over 2000 games, they maybe completed, or played (for a few minutes) like... 5-10% of it.

That's why they make so much bank during Steam sales, Valve knows some folks are too addicted to just adding to their digital library.
And, they can make triple the money off of avatars, account badges, lootboxes and background profiles.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The real statistics are probably way worse, since people used to farm (or maybe still do) Steam cards by having Steam idle on games.

Crispyboar

10 Jul 2022
I tend to start buying games for Steam & GOG through flash deals & through other promotions that they have, such as the current summer deals that's going on right now.

I also go to a site called isthereanydeal.com & find cheaper prices of games through 3rd party Steam Key resellers such as Fanatical, GamesBillet, GamesPlanet, Green Man Gaming, & Humble Bundle in which I get Steam Keys for.

I plan on either getting a good gaming PC or a PC handheld.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The real statistics are probably way worse, since people used to farm (or maybe still do) Steam cards by having Steam idle on games.

Yeah the program to do that got more annoying to use but I remember getting all my card drops fast that way. Some games have inflated playtime due to that.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom