Stellar Blade’s uncensored release in Japan prompts criticism. Addresses censorship claims. |UP| Petition at 50,000.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Those changes was post Gold announcement. That's why physical has uncensored costumes.

Interesting, that's never other way around.
Yeah, im disappointed but not surprised. The game is still great, but stuff like this just creates needless bad press and makes Shift Up look scummy even though it wasn't their decision. An 18+ rated game where the devs promised it'd be uncensored should be uncensored. Idk why people act like that's too much to ask for.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, im disappointed but not surprised. The game is still great, but stuff like this just creates needless bad press and makes Shift Up look scummy even though it wasn't their decision. An 18+ rated game where the devs promised it'd be uncensored should be uncensored. Idk why people act like that's too much to ask for.
i have no problem with either costumes, i just want to play the game, i am pissed a little that they bend the knee for this bullshit. you never ever win this war. there is more normal people by uncalculated number than these whiners and that's what should matter.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Wonder why they changed it up after knowingly leaning into the FU puritans angle

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is it really censorship if the game was not even out 🤔

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
The whole drama makes no sense in my opinion and is either just marketing or some people have little idea about development. First of all, the CEO himself didn't talk about censorship. When Capcom censored DMC5/Trish, Capcom was pretty transparent and explained the move. The censorship was quickly patched out because Capcom was cautious about what was allowed due to Sony's new guidelines. Since then, I haven't heard of a single game where an adult character or appearance was censored. I know of any anime games, but there are none other than that. So it doesn't make any sense that Sony would want to censor something when genitals are visible in games like Conan or Cyberpunk.

The example with China could make sense, because the console market there is small, so Sony wouldn't "censor" all versions. In my opinion, this is really a design decision by the studio. The "censorship" is quite complex, which suggests that some designs weren't final. One outfit has more lace, in another she wears tights. Both are designs that Shift Up also uses in Nikke, especially tights and stockings. The "censorship" doesn't mean you see less, but rather some body features are highlighted more by such details. There are numerous outfits that, apart from her "nude outfit", are also much more provocative. I'm surprised that one outfit is included because you always look up her skirt, whether you want it or not, which is known to be problematic in Japan. The bikini and lingerie outfit that is difficult to unlock are a bit hotter than the supposedly censored ones. As I said, it makes no sense given the amount of sexy outfits.

It wouldn't be the first time that the final version of a game has art design changes compared to the gold version. Sony worked with Xdev on the title itself and saw the outfits beforehand. If something was censored, it would have happened much sooner. I'm also relatively sure that there were designs that Sony didn't want to see in the game. In addition to Eve, there is another female character who can be dressed in outfits and appears young. Sony will certainly see a problem if she is portrayed in a similarly sexy way.

Ultimately, I believe what the developer says and use my brain. What some people are saying simply doesn't make sense. The same goes for the supposedly reduced gore effects. There are plenty of comparison videos where it is clear that nothing has been cut. But I would also be surprised if Sony, who have released titles like LoU and GoT that in my opinion show more violence/gore, wanted to subsequently cut an 18/M rated title.

The whole drama is just embarrassing in my opinion. It's been a long time since I saw a video game with so much eye candy in the form of outfits and the character's figure. Now such a drama and even starting a petition with the hashtag "FreeStellarBlade" is almost embarrassing and could lead to there being even fewer games like this in the future. Perhaps it would make sense for Sony and Shift Up to take a stand, but as the CEO has already said, he can say what he wants, some people will still not believe what he says. It's a shame, because the game is really good, but some woke and anti-woke trolls use every little thing to distract the focus from the actual game. It remains to be seen whether Shift Up will ever make another title of this kind after criticism about first too much skin, then too little skin.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
i have no problem with either costumes, i just want to play the game, i am pissed a little that they bend the knee for this bullshit. you never ever win this war. there is more normal people by uncalculated number than these whiners and that's what should matter.
yea this move is dumb af because it just alienates many of their biggest supporters. The same people that were defending them against the garbage hypocritical media. 🤷‍♂️

24 Jun 2022
Forcing the devs to alter content to be less objectionable qualifies I believe

Not if it doesn't affect the greater creative vision.

You guys want to look at real creative censorship? Go look at the history of films like Come and See. Where a government straight up banned production on it for several years because they didn't like the message (anti-war) it had. The people calling these super-small changes with SB censorship in comparison, sound like actual crying babies.

yea this move is dumb af because it just alienates many of their biggest supporters. The same people that were defending them against the garbage hypocritical media. 🤷‍♂️

Some of those "biggest supporters" were grifters or hanger-ons who only started paying attention to the game because Kotaku & IGN were sperging out about the main character. And we know that because the only thing they kept talking about was the T&A. They just wanted to weaponize a game against woke Western gamers & media the same way woke Western gamers & media were weaponizing the game to dogpile it because it didn't appear "progressive" enough.

So no, some of them are not genuine big supporters; they've only been supporting the game because they're using it in some culture war. That goes for the game's biggest haters too (including some that still got free review codes despite attacking the game for the sexy outfits and Eve's body).

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Some of those "biggest supporters" were grifters or hanger-ons who only started paying attention to the game because Kotaku & IGN were sperging out about the main character. And we know that because the only thing they kept talking about was the T&A. They just wanted to weaponize a game against woke Western gamers & media the same way woke Western gamers & media were weaponizing the game to dogpile it because it didn't appear "progressive" enough.

So no, some of them are not genuine big supporters; they've only been supporting the game because they're using it in some culture war. That goes for the game's biggest haters too (including some that still got free review codes despite attacking the game for the sexy outfits and Eve's body).
Of course there are grifters like that Mark Kern clown, but many of those people are/were genuine. What's wrong with calling out blatant hypocrisy and racism? I get where you're coming from, the culture war crap is annoying, but it's a case of right message, wrong messenger.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Of course there are grifters like that Mark Kern clown, but many of those people are/were genuine. What's wrong with calling out blatant hypocrisy and racism? I get where you're coming from, the culture war crap is annoying, but it's a case of right message, wrong messenger.
to be honest i think we should just be glad that we have a game like stellar blade. They could have censored it so much worse.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Racism? What?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yes, Sony is racist against Asian developers 🤷‍♂️

Western games with full nudity/gore are allowed, Asian games that don’t even have nudity are still censored.
That's what I was saying. Jimbo the idolized leader, which was actuallya fraud. He was a fucking racist against Asian games. Glad this old bozo is gone. But his influence sadly remains. The damage is too great...

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You’re 100% right. But you’re wrong about Totoki, that guy is also awful.
Yeah could be but I think we should give him a fair chance for this one year where he will be CEO. We shouldn't be too early judging imo. Plus he will be in no way a racist as Jim Ryan was. Would be also quite weird being racist against his own country's culture. Everyone has love & proud for his own country. Trust me in this.