Strand Trailer, Breakdown and Dev Interview (D2: Lightfall)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I haven’t heard the interview yet. But “weave armor” allowing you to tank more bodyshot damage in PvP is wild. That makes crits a bit more important.

Newest Lightfall trailer showing some more of Strand subclass:

A subclass breakdown was also posted in a Bungie blog post today. It’s a pretty hefty read.

Dev Interview with Kevin Yanes of Bungie from PC Gamer:

I have to confess that, before the interview, I still didn't totally get the power fantasy of Strand, beyond the obvious appeal to Spider-Man enjoyers. Where it clicks for me is when Smith and Yanes start talking about how Strand is the high-APM—or actions per minute—class. Bungie wanted Strand to play completely differently to the Light subclasses and Stasis, which already offered a bunch of different ways to melt monsters and control crowds of mobs respectively. They needed to find a different role for Strand. "We almost stumbled into the APM idea," says Yanes. "We found it, embraced it, and kept going. The key there is it's really easy to get in and start messing around with Strand, and have fun, but it has the depth to reward people who explore. Things like grabbing a Tangle and throwing it and then grappling to the same Tangle and following up with a grapple punch. That's something you cannot do with any of the other subclasses. But when you string those actions together you feel like a god."
He says that by chaining grapple Tangles his team has been able to get halfway across the King's Fall ships section. "A carefully set up team can probably do some nonsensical things and end your frustration with some of the jumping puzzles." Bungie doesn't want to go back and re-author old locations to add explicit grapple opportunities, though, because they want players to feel like they're almost cheating with their mastery of Strand.

for those that prefer video form here’s some Aztecross content going over everything

Trailer and blog post breakdown

Interview summary

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Looks insane. Trying it out will be a lot of fun.... I am also wary of how it will be in PvP... that could be a bit messy! haha

Reactions: Gamernyc78