Street Fighter 6 has sold 4 million units worldwide

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Just bought the game on sale a few weeks ago, I'm part of that 4 million. I don't see this game outselling SFV though. The modern controls are a huge turn off and not easy to turn off. I know people that wont buy the game because of those crappy controls.

• haha
Reactions: Nym

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Just bought the game on sale a few weeks ago, I'm part of that 4 million. I don't see this game outselling SFV though.

It sold 4M in 16~ months.

SFIV - 9M
SFV - 7.4M(as of Dec 2023)

It will easily outsell SFV as time goes on, especially with the new SKUs that combine prior seasons of DLC with the game.
It took SFV until 2020(4 years) and the release of both the Arcade Edition(2018) and the Champion's Edition(2020) to get to 4.1M copies shipped/sold.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
These numbers are great for a fighting game, and specially a Capcom one.

It's on track to become the best selling Capcom fighting game ever.

They also must be doing great with DLC/IAP sales since it's rocking a way constantly higher Steam CCU than any fighting game in Steam history.

As reference, outside launch, character releases and discounts time limited peaks in SFV Steam CCUs were around 2K-3.5K while in SF6 are 20K-25K. In Tekken 7 3.5K-6K and in Tekken 8 around 8K-9K.

I wonder how much Tekken 8 has sold so far tough! 👀
As I remember all we have is 2M+ units on its first month announced back in late February. You have above the CCUs as some reference, but remember that they aren't related to sales, they're more related to user retention instead.

SFIV - 9M

It will easily outsell SFV as time goes on, especially with the new SKUs that combine prior seasons of DLC with the game.
It took SFV until 2020(4 years) and the release of both the Arcade Edition(2018) and the Champion's Edition(2020) to get to 4.1M copies shipped/sold.
This isn't really true/accurate and isn't a fair comparision.

As of June 30, 2024 the LTD sales were:
  • Street Fighter V 7.6M
  • Street Fighter IV 3.6M
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV 2.2M
  • Super Street Fighter IV 1.9M
  • Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1.2M
  • SFIV+SSFIV+SSFIVAE = 8.9M
Saying SFIV sold 8.9M would be counting multiple times the players who got the different SFIV game versions, when in SFV/SF6 are only counted once because they are only game updates of the same single SFV/SF6 game SKU available.

Even if doing that, launch aligned this is the time they took to reach 4M players:
  • SF6 15 months (was released in June 2, 2023, 4M have been announced today)
  • SFV 46 months (achieved 4.1M in December 31, 2019)
  • SFIV 16 months (assuming it was achieved in the June 30, 2010 report thanks to the SSFIV release late April 2010. That report isn't stored in the Wayback Machine. WBM has stored March 31, 2010 -was 2.9M- and in September 30, 2010 was 2.9M for SFIV and 1.4M for SSIV)
So SF6 is selling faster than SFIV and SFV even if the SFV and SF6 players aren't being counted multiple times for getting a"Super" or similar update/rerelease (still no available "Super" edition for SF6) as happened at this time launch aligned fo SFIV.

It is also worth mentioning that SFV was console exclusive, unlike SF6 or the SFIV series. So it was more difficult for that series to sell beyond the issues it had on its rocky launch.

The genre as a whole started to grow big in PS3 with SFIV and has been growing in userbase until now (and continues growing). Most main series of the genre saw sales record with their most recent or two games, they are growing too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
This numbers are bit below expectation especially after wukong news yesterday

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This isn't really true/accurate and isn't a fair comparision.

As of June 30, 2024 the LTD sales were:
  • Street Fighter V 7.6M
  • Street Fighter IV 3.6M
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV 2.2M
  • Super Street Fighter IV 1.9M
  • Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1.2M
  • SFIV+SSFIV+SSFIVAE = 8.9M
Saying SFIV sold 8.9M would be counting multiple times the players who got the different SFIV game versions, when in SFV/SF6 are only counted once because they are only game updates of the same single SFV/SF6 game SKU available.

I'm aware of that, but in the end, people only care about copies sold.

But yeah, Capcom's internal goal of 10M copies sold LTD is well on track, probably exceeding that number when all is said and done. A Switch 2 version is a big X factor for the game, especially considering it is selling well In China/Japan(and likely the rest of Asia.) We'll just have to see if they've got one in time for the first year of the Switch 2.
I assume that sometime in 2025, for the release of Season 3, they'll have the Super Edition to coincide with the release of the Switch 2 version.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm aware of that, but in the end, people only care about copies sold.

But yeah, Capcom's internal goal of 10M copies sold LTD is well on track, probably exceeding that number when all is said and done. A Switch 2 version is a big X factor for the game, especially considering it is selling well In China/Japan(and likely the rest of Asia.) We'll just have to see if they've got one in time for the first year of the Switch 2.
I assume that sometime in 2025, for the release of Season 3, they'll have the Super Edition to coincide with the release of the Switch 2 version.
I think unless Switch 2 highly improves its wifi specs, online MP platform quality and dpad (I think all 3 things are likely to be implemented) it will be difficult to see SF6 there.

But I think it's likely to see a port sooner or later. I also think that as of usual the game will get sales bumps across its whole life with new character/season releases, discounts plus Super/Ultra/whatever re-releases, as happened with SF6, which started with bad sales but ended having great sales.

And yes, I agree regarding the Super release being a good moment to release it on Switch 2 during its launch window or even launch day.

Regarding LTD sales I think the 10M are very doable, since SFV is almost at 8M being console exclusive and having had a rocky launch. I think it can end at over a dozen millions.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

SFIV - 9M

SFIV used another model with double triple, quad dips.
The base edition didn't upgrade... you had to buy the new edition.

In terms of user base SFV grew over SFIV.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Evilms

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Total edition sales of SF4 count for sure.

Kinda disappointed by SF6 sales. Kinda disappointed by the game too.

I should give it another shake. It usually takes me awhile to warm up to each new game but 6 didn’t really pull me. Doesn’t help that I hate how Akuma looks.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Good for them but Tekken is more my type of game, Grew up on Tekken 2 and 3. I am more into tekken 8 and GBF versus rising this gen and they cover both 3d and 2d fighting games, for those of you who haven't tried GBF versus rising there is a free version to test out.

Mortal Kombat is the one that has turned into pure garbage, Tekken 8 and SF 6 are eating its lunch money

Reactions: YeezyDude

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Kinda disappointed by SF6 sales. Kinda disappointed by the game too.
As shown above, SF6 is selling faster than SFIV and SFV.

And has by far the biggest Steam CCU (outside the very time limited typical peaks) than any fighting game in Steam history.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
As shown above, SF6 is selling faster than SFIV and SFV.

And has by far the biggest Steam CCU (outside the very time limited typical peaks) than any fighting game in Steam history.

For all the hoopla about multiplatform and world tour, going all in on MT cosmetics and custom character abominations, and all the other gimmicks. Doesn’t seem like it grew much since SFV (and I kinda preferred that model and art direction).

Kinda just expected more and Tekken and MK move more units still. So it’s a bit disappointing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Doesn’t seem like it grew much since SFV
Time that took them to sell 4M units:
  • SF6: 15 months
  • SFV: 46 months
Yes, it grew since SFV. Can also be seen in the steady Steam CCU userbase that both games had, it's way higher in SF6.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Time that took them to sell 4M units:
  • SF6: 15 months
  • SFV: 46 months
Yes, it grew since SFV. Can also be seen in the steady Steam CCU userbase that both games had, it's way higher in SF6.

Steam growth should be expected as steam’s reach itself expands.

I’m not doubting it’s doing things faster than their predecessors. Metrics of success have also changed a bit since then.

I don’t like seeing MK or Tekken selling more tbh. I’m coming at this with a bit of bias in favor of SF and not really liking their new service model vs fight money in sfv. It seems more expensive now tbh.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Steam growth should be expected as steam’s reach itself expands.

I’m not doubting it’s doing things faster than their predecessors. Metrics of success have also changed a bit since then.

I don’t like seeing MK or Tekken selling more tbh. I’m coming at this with a bit of bias in favor of SF and not really liking their new service model vs fight money in sfv. It seems more expensive now tbh.
The active userbase of SF6 in Steam is more than 10 times bigger than SFV and SFIV. That level of growth isn't seen in Steam (around 2.5x or 3x from SFV release to SF6 release) or in any other fighting series (less tnan 2x from Tekken 7 to Tekken 8, and MK decreased from MK11 to MK1).

SF and Tekken -maybe due to being stronger in the competitive side/scene- have longer user retention compared to MK. MK may sell more than SF, but their players quickly leave so the SF active userbase is bigger. Tekken 7 (too early for Tekken 8) retention was so good that over time not only kept the active userbase steady, but even increased it in the long term, while the normal is to slowly loose active userbase in the long term.

Regarding sales, Tekken 7 (best selling in the series) was at 12M as of June. MK 11 was 15M (best selling in the series) in 2022, and MK1 sold 3M in a couple months (it took around half a year for SF6) but seems to be underperforming compared to MK11. SF6, MK1 and Tekken 8 sold a couple millions each at launch.

I think SF6 may beat Tekken 7, Tekken 8 and MK1 (let's say over 12M) but I think won't beat MK11 (15M+).

Ignoring peaks, the Steam CCU have been around:
  • SF6: 25K
  • SFV: between 1.5K and 3.5K
  • Super/Ultra SFIV (not properly traked but sub 2K)
  • SFIV (too old, not properly tracked in Steamdb)

image.png

image.png

image.png

As reference:
  • Tekken 8: Around 9K
  • Tekken 7: between 3K and 5.5K, mostly around 5K
  • Mortal Kombat 1: between 1.5K and 2.5K
  • Mortal Kombat 11: between 2.5K and 3.5K
Steam growth:
  • CCU peak in SF6 release year (2023) was roughly around 3x times the one in the SFV release year (2016)
  • Steam did stop sharing MAU data in 2021 (pretty likely because it did stop growing after the covid peak), but for what we have we can extrapolate than in 2023 was around 2.5x the one in 2016
image.png

image.png

Last edited: