Street Fighter 6 Tops Over 3 Million Units Sold Worldwide

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
cb37694ba04be614e52958004a95b5e2.jpg

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Street Fighter 6, the latest title in the storied Street Fighter series, has sold over 3 million units worldwide (as of January 3, 2024).

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Hmm, less than I thought it would sell after being on all platforms.

Didn't they call SFV a failure when it sold about the same in a similar timeframe and went on to be one of the best selling street fighter games?

Reactions: Airbus and PS_ROCKS

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hmm, less than I thought it would sell after being on all platforms.

Didn't they call SFV a failure when it sold about the same in a similar timeframe and went on to be one of the best selling street fighter games?
i'm sure the 10,000 copies sold on xbox made a huge dent

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
SFIV (PS3/360)
2 million in 10 days
2.5 million in 2 months
3.5 million in end of life

SFV (PS4/PC)
1.4 million in just over a month
2 million in 18 months
4 million in 4 years
5 million in 4 years and 9 months
6 million in 5 years and 9 months
7 million in 7 years
7.4 million in 7 years and 8 months

SFVI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS)
1 million in 5 days
2 million in 1 month
2.4 million in 4 months
3 million in 7 months

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
There’s no reason not to include Super and Arcade Edition for SF4 when doin sf4 sales. Further updates to the game finally kept it as one game to update with the vanilla launch game being phased out.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II
These were different games with new content that was inaccessible to SF2 vanilla owners, forcing you to repurchase the game.

Street Fighter III New Generation
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV Aracde Edition
It's the same as SF2 and its iterations, they're different games every time.

Street Fighter V, Street Fighter V AE & Champion Edition all 3 remain the same game, since the update is free and automatic.

And there's a reason why Capcom separates out the sales of the other Streets and not those of SFV.

• fire
Reactions: Airbus and Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well deserved, this means it's the fastest selling Capcom fighting game ever.

In line with their estimates and in track to sell over 10M at the end of its life cycle as estimated, outselling the best selling game in the series, Street Fighter 6.

SFIV (PS3/360)
2 million in 10 days
2.5 million in 2 months
3.5 million in end of life

SFV (PS4/PC)
1.4 million in just over a month
2 million in 18 months
4 million in 4 years
5 million in 4 years and 9 months
6 million in 5 years and 9 months
7 million in 7 years
7.4 million in 7 years and 8 months

SFVI (PS5/PS4/PC/XS)
1 million in 5 days
2 million in 1 month
2.4 million in 4 months
3 million in 6 months
Thanks for sharing, very interesting. Thanks to a leaked slide from the Insomniac stuff, we saw that DLC/IAP/passes generated 25% of SFV revenue as of mid October 2022 (so not total sales):

W9zsPKIJ1bnS.png

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II
These were different games with new content that was inaccessible to SF2 vanilla owners, forcing you to repurchase the game.

Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter V, Street Fighter V AE & Champion Edition all 3 remain the same game, since the update is free and automatic.

And there's a reason why Capcom separates out the sales of the other Streets and not those of SFV.

Meaning, now when comparing SFV to previous games were the updates instead of being included as free updates + paid DLC they were sold as previous games, we could add a third on top of the SFV sales as an aproximation to more or less get an approximated equivalent of game sales.

So in this case, the equivalent would be 9.87M copies. Which still it wouldn't be fair to compare it to games where they sold the updates as separate games, but would be a more fair comparision.

In their website, Capcom separates their titles by projects, which each one has its own budget. As an example, in a crossgen game they count sales together because they have been developed as a single project. But in other cases where a game gets a late port/next gen version or remaster counts as a separate title. In the case of Street Fighter, in SFV or SF6 the whole game and its dlcs and rereleases bundled with dlc are counted as single games. While in the past titles where they released updates as separate full games were counted as separate projects.

SFV was released with little single player and game modes content, plus other issues like bad gameplay balance, input lag and pretty buggy netcode. As a result had bad sales at launch and unlike SF6 (which released with a lot of content specially for SP and in a super polished state regarding gameplay netcode) didn't meet their initial sales expectations.

But thanks to their GaaS approach, over time they were able to identify and solve all (or most) of the game issues and ended having a shit ton of content, super polished gameplay balance, pretty good -even if not best in class like SF6- input lag and netcode. As a result the game made a big comeback in sales specially during its second year and kept the game selling and its players engaged until the release of SF6 (7 years after SFV release).

The scale of the comeback was big enough to be the cover story of Capcom's annual report of that year, instead of giving it to the record breaking release of their fastest and best selling game ever, Monster Hunter World, which was released that year.

SFV ended being their best selling fighting game project ever (being sales 75% of its game revenue, the other 25% being addons) and top 10 Capcom best selling game ever (now tied with DMCV).

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II

Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV

Incorrect.

You were able to upgrade from Super to Arcade editions of sf4. A first for the series. Only vanilla was left out.

The totals of all versions is fair game I might add. Later builds of SF4, SFV, and 6 are just done with modern content delivery systems versus needing to shipped new boxes for updates. It’s not 1:1 and includes repeat purchases but only giving older games vanilla sales to compete against isn’t so fair when champion and turbo console editions of sf2 was peak popularity for the og… not world warrior

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Incorrect.

You were able to upgrade from Super to Arcade editions of sf4. A first for the series. Only vanilla was left out.

The totals of all versions is fair game I might add. Later builds of SF4, SFV, and 6 are just done with modern content delivery systems versus needing to shipped new boxes for updates. It’s not 1:1 and includes repeat purchases but only giving older games vanilla sales to compete against isn’t so fair when champion and turbo console editions of sf2 was peak popularity for the og… not world warrior

To upgrade from the super to arcade edition or super o arcade to Ultra Street Fighter, you had to pay again, which is not the case with SF5, SF5 AE and SF5CE.

SSF4 To SSF4AE
1705427636-image.png

SSF4AE to Ultra
1705427512-image.png

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Fighting games are weird, always 60fps cap, always horrible lag (that's why i'm kickin' ass in MK11 :D ) and always locking characters behind paywall

It's like Ubisoft designed the sales management of all fighting games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Thats low street fighter 6 has so many missing characters maybe coming on future dlc latter?
It's like Ubisoft designed the sales management of all fighting games

It isn't low, 3M in under 7 months means SF6 is the fastest selling Capcom fighting game ever.

And yes, like in all the other fighting games of this and the previous generation they will release several DLC characters per year during over half a decade.

To play fighting games is cheapear now than it ever has been, specially if you take inflation into acccount.

A cheaper way to buy them than back in the time when you had to buy a full game to get the update with the extra characters. Specially if you wait and get the "complete edition" or unlocks for free the characters of multiple seasons as I did in SFV (it took me less than 10 hours playing single content in very easy difficulty that I was going to play anyways, no grinding was needed).

Last edited:
Reactions: Airbus

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Thats low street fighter 6 has so many missing characters maybe coming on future dlc latter?

That's faster selling than anything else in fighting games besides Smash and MK it's just a more niche genre compared to the bigger titles.
Although, MK1 is on a sales regression path compared to MK11, just an unfinished release.

24 Jun 2022
It isn't low, 3M in under 7 months means SF6 is the fastest selling Capcom game ever.

And yes, like in all the other fighting games of this and the previous generation they will release several DLC characters per year during over half a decade.

To play fighting games is cheapear now than it ever has been, specially if you take inflation into acccount.

A cheaper way to buy them than back in the time when you had to buy a full game to get the update with the extra characters. Specially if you wait and get the "complete edition" or unlocks for free the characters of multiple seasons as I did in SFV (it took me less than 10 hours playing single content in very easy difficulty that I was going to play anyways, no grinding was needed).

No I'm pretty sure a recent Resident Evil or at least especially Monster Hunter have sold 3 million faster than SF6. However in terms of fighting games, it's likely the fastest for Capcom aside I guess maybe the original SF2 on SNES? And it's probably faster to 3 million than that game in all honesty.

Anyway, this is a great result for SF6 and depending on DLC content they should be able to reach 4 million within a year or such. But they can probably hit 5 million within a year or so if there's a Switch 2 port at the launch of that system. Could be some good room for it there especially if there is no new Smash Bros. for the launch.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No I'm pretty sure a recent Resident Evil or at least especially Monster Hunter have sold 3 million faster than SF6. However in terms of fighting games, it's likely the fastest for Capcom aside I guess maybe the original SF2 on SNES? And it's probably faster to 3 million than that game in all honesty.

Anyway, this is a great result for SF6 and depending on DLC content they should be able to reach 4 million within a year or such. But they can probably hit 5 million within a year or so if there's a Switch 2 port at the launch of that system. Could be some good room for it there especially if there is no new Smash Bros. for the launch.
I meant fastest selling Capcom fighting game, sorry. Yes, RE and MH and maybe other ones sell faster than their fighting games.

SNES games like SF2 didn't have global simultaneous relesases. SF2 was released in June 10, 1992 for Japan, a couple months later in USA and in December, 1992 for EU.

SF6 took 6-7 months to sell 3M, SF2 took 6-7 months to be released in the main markets. SF2 for SNES did sell 6.3M units but across many years and was extensively bundled, I think it's almost impossible that it would achieve 3M faster. Back then the userbase was way smaller than now and the average amount of games bought per console also was smaller than it is now, becoming a multiple million seller back then was a big achievement for games than it is today.

Last edited: