Sucker Punch is planning ‘other spin-offs’ beyond Ghost of Yotei

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ghost-of-yotei-1440x810.jpg

That’s according to a New York Times interview with Ghost of Yotei creative directors Nate Fox and Jason Connell.

The pair, who will once again serve as creative directors on the project, spoke to the publication about the newly announced game, which is set 300 years after Ghost of Tsushima.

The article also notes that the annoucement of Ghost of Yotei retrospectively changes Ghost of Tsushima from a standalone game to the start of a franchise, which it says “will include at least one movie and other spin-offs”.

A Ghost of Tsushima movie is currently in the works, and will be directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick: Chapter 4).

“When we started working on a sequel, the first question we asked ourselves is ‘what is the DNA of a Ghost game?’”
Fox told the New York Times.

“It’s about transporting the player to the romance and beauty of feudal Japan.”
Source

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There all Spin offs I guess. Hope the studio teams have been expanded to make more
Would love another Sly game too, even if its made by a bunch of Sucker Punch junior staff or something lol. Recruit

• thisistheway
Reactions: Neversummer

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I hope Guerilla and SP don’t become just Horizon and Ghost factories. Hopefully eventually they move on to new IP’s.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It was clear from they announced it... it is written in PS.Blog.

And if you guys revisits Ghost of Tsumina you will see Ghost is the role just like Samurai... and that there are others Ghosts stories and characters..
Tsumina tells the story of Jin.
Yotei teels the story of Atsu.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I hope Guerilla and SP don’t become just Horizon and Ghost factories. Hopefully eventually they move on to new IP’s.

I hope they carry on making Ghost games while making more IPS new and old.

Horizon I can take a long break from. I dont mind waiting till end of PS6/PS7. Make it into a deeper world, more WRPG with NPC’s with the same gameplay

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There all Spin offs I guess. Hope the studio teams have been expanded to make more
Would love another Sly game too, even if its made by a bunch of Sucker Punch junior staff or something lol. Recruit
Calling it a spin off is maybe is not the right definition I guess...

Do you consider Castlevania: Symphony of the Night a spin-off or a main title?
I mean all games have the Castlevania title with different subtitles and protagonists including a woman protagonist.

So I see Ghost titles with different subtitles and different protagonists, stories, periods, locations.
And all of them are main title for the Ghost franchise.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

That’s according to a New York Times interview with Ghost of Yotei creative directors Nate Fox and Jason Connell.

The pair, who will once again serve as creative directors on the project, spoke to the publication about the newly announced game, which is set 300 years after Ghost of Tsushima.

The article also notes that the annoucement of Ghost of Yotei retrospectively changes Ghost of Tsushima from a standalone game to the start of a franchise, which it says “will include at least one movie and other spin-offs”.

A Ghost of Tsushima movie is currently in the works, and will be directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick: Chapter 4).

Source
The new Legends may probably be part of Yotei and maybe its own separate game. I can see them revisiting Jin, an old man gin story would be , they can also go back and forth in history like AC this. Its going to be an anthology series and follow different ppl in different periods of Japanese history.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Can we get a return of Cole from inFAMOUS? Hell at this point I’d take another spin off in the inFAMOUS universe. Even a Sly Cooper spin off.

After the success of GOS in 2020 Suckerpunch should’ve turn to a 3-4 team studio reviving inFAMOUS & Sly Cooper & making sure those franchise came back strong.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't trust the New York Times or Fox! 😏😅

Kidding.
I know you are kidding but what you think from the own dev works about the game...

We also wanted to continue to innovate. To create something fresh but familiar, we looked beyond Jin Sakai’s story and the island of Tsushima, and shifted our focus to the idea of the Ghost instead. At Sucker Punch we love origin stories, and we wanted to explore what it could mean to have a new hero wearing a Ghost mask, and uncovering a new legend. This led us to Ghost of Yōtei: a new protagonist, a new story to unfold, and a new region of Japan to explore.

I mean I take it they will have more origin stories... of course if it continue being successful :D
It opens the franchise Ghost to several options, locations and gameplay mechanics... basically everything a developer wants when working a new game for a franchise.

• Heart
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I know you are kidding but what you think from the own dev works about the game...

I mean I take it they will have more origin stories... of course if it continue being successful :D
It opens the franchise Ghost to several options, locations and gameplay mechanics.
The more Ghost games at the high quality bar, the better.

As long as the stories are deep and engaging.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They made this franchise timeless with the Anthology route. I think it's going to have serious staying power and become the mainstream "samurai" franchise if it isn't already. Congrats to SP, they hit a jackpot

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

Source
Well I hope all or most of them will be good though!