Sue against Sony Playstation Store Monopoly dimissed on Friday.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
SAN FRANCISCO (CN) — A class of gamers failed to persuade a federal judge of their theory that Sony intentionally sacrificed short-term revenue when it stopped allowing other retailers to sell its digital PlayStation games in order to become the sole supplier of digital games through its online store.

“Plaintiffs provide conclusory statements that Sony voluntarily terminated a profitable practice, but do not provide sufficient factual detail,” Chief U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg wrote in a brief order dismissing the case on Friday.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Over It Wtf GIF by Holly Logan

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The class action was weird to begin with.

There is little to no difference in terms of revenue or profit for Sony or Retail to sell PSN cards or Game cards imo.

And if you say it due the discount… well you can buy PSN card with discount too and that will probably harm the revenue and/or profit.

Basic there is no way to prove the different method is more profitable or not the other.

PSN cards are more consumer friendly due it flexibility…. you are not tied to a specific game and so you change minds, choose other options, etc.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume this judge simple looked how many game platforms are (Sony's is only one of many) and how game platforms work (and saw Sony is doing the same than the other ones which is perfectly legal), so did shut down this dumb, nonsensical case.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I assume this judge simple looked how many game platforms are (Sony's is only one of many) and how game platforms work (and saw Sony is doing the same than the other ones which is perfectly legal), so did shut down this dumb, nonsensical case.
This case had no merit whatsoever (platform holder has *monopoly* over their own platform LOL).

24 Jun 2022
Is anyone honestly surprised? 🤣

The case had no legs, but I give the litigators a C for earnest effort.

They probably spent no more than 3 minutes before coming to such a common-sense conclusion. There are probably more serious cases they need to tend to anyway.

The class action was weird to begin with.

There is little to no difference in terms of revenue or profit for Sony or Retail to sell PSN cards or Game cards imo.

And if you say it due the discount… well you can buy PSN card with discount too and that will probably harm the revenue and/or profit.

Basic there is no way to prove the different method is more profitable or not the other.

PSN cards are more consumer friendly due it flexibility…. you are not tied to a specific game and so you change minds, choose other options, etc.

I bet most people who buy PSN cards do so at discounted prices because why not? Maximize value for your money.