Super Mario Bros’ Hits High Scores: Record Opening For Animated Pic At $377M+ Worldwide

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://deadline.com/2023/04/box-office-super-mario-bros-movie-air-amazon-ben-affleck-1235318951/

At close to 10PM PST last night, we told you that Illumination/Universal’s Super Mario Bros was still raking in business and as of this morning, the feature take of the Nintendo game didn’t gross $56M, rather a near $57M for what is now a $146.36M 3-day, massive $33,1K theater average, and a record 5-day of –wow– $204.6M per Universal this AM. That kicks Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen‘s $200M Wednesday-Sunday opening to second place among 5-day U.S./Canada records. Among Easter weekend openings, Super Mario Bros ranks third behind 2016’s Batman vs. Superman ($181M) and 2015’s Furious 7‘s $161M. If overseas is still at $173M by tomorrow AM, then the new global opening record for an animated movie set by Super Mario Bros stands at $377.2M.

Exclaims Universal Domestic Distribution Chief Jim Orr this morning, “The incredible partnership of Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto’s iconic characters, with Illumination and Chris Meledandri’s unbeatable filmmaking and storytelling prowess, has led to this combustible moment at the worldwide box office. Audiences of all ages and backgrounds have flocked to theatres to revel in this extraordinary big-screen celebration.”

D

Deleted member 223

The Return of the King.

2.jpg

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Not surprised to see Nintendo absolutely shitting on Uncharted's box office. That's what happens when you make an actual good movie. Nintendo definitely knows how to treat its IPs right. If this was Sony they'd throw a shit port of Mario on PC to coincide with the movie release and pat themselves on the back.

Reactions: Airbus

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Wow, I thought it would be a hit but not like this, thirty year old dads just love Mario too much.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Not surprised to see Nintendo absolutely shitting on Uncharted's box office. That's what happens when you make an actual good movie. Nintendo definitely knows how to treat its IPs right. If this was Sony they'd throw a shit port of Mario on PC to coincide with the movie release and pat themselves on the back.
It's a garbage movie so now what? Kids will gobble up anything Mario and it kind of puts the sales figures and high scores gifted to Mario titles under the microscope. Are they really as good as we're being told?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

They’re both less than average movies, its just that one targets kids.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's a garbage movie so now what? Kids will gobble up anything Mario and it kind of puts the sales figures and high scores gifted to Mario titles under the microscope. Are they really as good as we're being told?
Not everything Mario does amazing sales. 3D World, Sunshine, later Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi titles. I welcome critical examination of all games but I think the main-line Mario series comes out of that a lot better than most other stuff.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Uncharted was also a shit tier movie, so quality is not of concern. Nintendo shat all over that movie sales wise, and I'm sure more people will talk about the mario movie in the future than I have seen talk about that b tier tom holland throwaway.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The best part about the last of us and mario blowing up is that it probably means game publishers are most likely going to be greenlighting more original IP

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
If every gaming success means Disney s lost money, customers, revenue, less marvel garbage, whatever, im all for it.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yea there’s no way this is worse than uncharted. That was a steaming pile of shit. Hopefully everyone on that project got fired.

Reactions: nongkris