Switch 2 will "be hybrid again" launch at $400. 8 inch LCD. use Nvidia chip & be BC. Nikkei says releases March 2025.Dev kit update.|UP| 5/2/24

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo 1st party games have always been better than PlayStation's, eg The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) has a 99 on Metacritic, and no PlayStation first-party game has a 99 on Metacritic. Sony would never consider porting its games to PC if its video games sold as well as Nintendo's games.

Mmmm nah hard disagree and tht 99 meta means shit thst was a whole different time period when everyone was on the Nintendo koolaide and only has 22 reviews, it means nothing. The more reviews aggregated the higher the possibility the review score goes down thts just factual.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo should cut the Switch 2 life short like they did the Wii U and create a powerful console to rival the PS5 Pro/PS6. They would finally beat Sony in the "high end" console space, since Sony is hellbent on killing themselves.
They'll beat Sony with the Switch 2, power isn't everything.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
They'll beat Sony with the Switch 2, power isn't everything.
Not in any way that matters. The Switch 2 will sell more but still won’t get a lot of games. A powerful Nintendo console could actually beat Sony and get games like FF17 as an exclusive.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not in any way that matters. The Switch 2 will sell more but still won’t get a lot of games. A powerful Nintendo console could actually beat Sony and get games like FF17 as an exclusive.
We'll see maybe it won't be as weak as you predict. They could get decent ports of PS5 games with a considerably less powerful device if they are smart about it.

A lot of the power of PS5 is wasted rendering images at very high resolutions in most cases, if Nintendo is able to fully utilize NVidia tech for image reconstruction and frame generation they could end up with a lot of third party support.

The Switch is extremely weak yet devs still try to squeeze their games there any way they can.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Even though there hasn't been an official announcement from Nintendo themselves, we've been hearing rumors and leaks for a long time about Switch 2, the upcoming successor to the Nintendo Switch. Speculation grew at the end of last year, when Gamescom attendees claimed to have seen the new Nintendo console behind closed doors.

Today at Vandal we can share some exclusive details about the upcoming hardware from the Japanese company after hearing non-official information from manufactures that have had a first contact with Switch 2. Our colleague Rubén Mercado has been the one that has had access to these exclusive details during an accessory manufacturer fair, the same way it happened during the pre-launch period of Nintendo Switch OLED.

Some manufacturers have been able to "touch" the new Nintendo console, without the possibility of actually seeing it to avoid leaks. There are no concrete dates for its release, but they all agree that it won't release this year, even though the console is ready. This is just a strategic decision to have a better lineup, and they expect this Christmas period to be the last one for Switch, and Switch 2 to release Early 2025.

The information we've managed to get says the console is a bit bigger than the current Switch models, but still smaller than a Steam Deck. Another change is on the joy-con side, which will trade their current attachment system using rails for a magnetic system.

As of right now we don't have information on the specs of the console itself, but what we can confirm is that the current Pro Controller will be forwards compatible with Switch 2. However, it's possible that the current joycons won't be, whether for the change on how they attach to the console or if they have new functionalities.
Key points:

• Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it (i.e. the console was inside of a black box, so they could touch it but not see how it actually looks)
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.
Report via Vandal

Reactions: Yurinka and ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Big than Switch doesn't look good.
But I understand the reason… chips are not going down for years already.

Between 14nm and 5nm you had like 20-30% in size for the same amount of transistors… that is what is driving chips too big.

Steam Deck was never portable size btw.

Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Between 14nm and 5nm you had like 20-30% in size for the same amount of transistors… that is what is driving chips too big.

That's just not true.
14nm ranges from ~29 million-37million transistors/mm^2 depending on the foundry.

Tsmc 5nm has a transistor density of 138 million transistors/mm^2.

It is nowhere near a 20-30% reduction. It is a 4x reduction.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's just not true.
14nm ranges from ~29 million-37million transistors/mm^2 depending on the foundry.

Tsmc 5nm has a transistor density of 138 million transistors/mm^2.

It is nowhere near a 20-30% reduction. It is a 4x reduction.
I was wrong…

But your numbers are paper specs and not what happens in real life at the first interaction of
he process… over the time it get upgrades so maybe it can reach or even surpass your numbers.

Polaris 14nm - 24.6m/mm2
Navi 10 7nm - 41m/mm2
Navi 31 5mm - 81.2mm2

14nm to 7nm = 40% reduction in size
7nm to 5nm = 50% reduction in size
14nm to 5nm = 70% reduction in size

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I'll be there early on if Monolith Soft drops something within the first year.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I was wrong…

But your numbers are paper specs and not what happens in real life at the first interaction of
he process… over the time it get upgrades so maybe it can reach or even surpass your numbers.

Polaris 14nm - 24.6m/mm2
Navi 10 7nm - 41m/mm2
Navi 31 5mm - 81.2mm2

14nm to 7nm = 40% reduction in size
7nm to 5nm = 50% reduction in size
14nm to 5nm = 70% reduction in size
That's because gpu dies include large caches which does not scale well with process node shrinks.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

I really hate how overly large it is, kills any potential of me regularly using it out of the house, just like the Switch's size did.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's because gpu dies include large caches which does not scale well with process node shrinks.
Consoles APU are mostly (80%) GPU.

But let’s take the paper spec… it is still too low decrease in size.
That is the biggest issue why CPUs and GPUs nowdays doesn’t move in performance like in the past… the reason why CPUs started to glue cores together to advance in performance.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Just please be multitouch.

Almost pointless to even feature a touchscreen if it’s not multitouch.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Yeah, I don't see an issue with a low budget as long as the game is good, but Nintendo are the only ones that the gaming community and media as a whole allow to get away with that. If Sony started making games with the same budget as Nintendo, they would be raked over the coals.
I know user is banned but this is patently false.

Nintendo is never allowed to exist in their own lower budget lane. It gets mentioned through the lifespan of any system they put out and this one will be no different.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There are lower budget games that the other two put out, its just that they aren't "the tip of the spear" like some of Nintendo's titles are. This isn't a Nintendo problem, its an everyone but Nintendo problem. Its not Nintendo's fault that Sony stopped working with Clap Hanz on lEverybody's/Hot Shots Golf, or that MS drove away the Ori group. Its Sony (though they are always reloading) and Microsoft's fault.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Mobapad has put an EN article directly on their website with all the Switch 2 details they've gotten their hands on - https://www.mobapad.com/blogs/the-l...witch-2/the-latest-scoop-on-nintendo-switch-2

"We, like everyone else, are eagerly anticipating accurate information about the Switch 2!

In the process of developing the next-generation console controller, Mobapad has also acquired a lot of firsthand information about the Switch 2, and now we're here to share it with everyone.
  1. The Switch 2 will continue to support existing Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller, still equipped with ALPS dual-axis linear motors for HD rumble.
  2. The cartridge slot of the Switch 2 will support backward compatibility with physical Switch game cartridges, ensuring compatibility with players' existing game libraries, including digital versions. However, the second-generation cartridges may not be compatible with the first-generation console.
  3. The new version of Joy-Con has a larger volume, and the sliding rail structure has been changed to magnetic suction. The SL and SR buttons are metal buttons. Magnetic suction is achieved through electromagnetic suction technology, controlled by electric current. It's worth noting that, in addition to the L, ZL, R, and ZR buttons on the sides of the Joy-Con controller, a third button has been added on both the left and right sides.
8Xklaoa.png

Additionally, below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button!

rsiJmcw.png

1. The bottom of the Switch 2 will still feature a USB-C port for docking, and the new generation dock will undergo minor changes in appearance while enhancing performance, supporting 4K resolution.
  2. The new dock will feature a damping bracket on the back, allowing for a greater range of adjustable angles.
  3. The screen will be upgraded to an 8-inch display, supporting 1080P resolution.
These are just some of the hardware information we've got, and not the full extent.

From a hardware perspective, the Switch 2 inherits the dual-mode feature of its predecessor, continuing Nintendo's conservative approach to hardware."

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I really doubt that the dock will allow 4K. If 4K is present it will be on the unit itself. The existing dock is a very fancy plug and nothing more, it has worked well as such and I don't think Nintendo wants to change that plan. If anything I'll be suprised if that "hinge" comes to pass.

I'll be pleasantly suprised if new games support the old joy-cons too, hate them though I do.