Switch 2 will "be hybrid again" launch at $400. 8 inch LCD. use Nvidia chip & be BC. Nikkei says releases March 2025.Dev kit update.|UP| 5/2/24

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I get caught up in the thrill of new tech but then end up regretting it with Nintendo. I hope I find tht magic this time around.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
So shit tier again?
Assuming it uses the T239 at 8nm, the Switch 2 in 2025 will be a lot weaker compared to other mobile hardware than the Switch 1 was in 2017.

I think MLiD is quite a bit clueless when he claims the Switch 2 will be faster than the Steam Deck when docked.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Assuming it uses the T239 at 8nm, the Switch 2 in 2025 will be a lot weaker compared to other mobile hardware than the Switch 1 was in 2017.

I think MLiD is quite a bit clueless when he claims the Switch 2 will be faster than the Steam Deck when docked.
You ignore something even worse.

Samsung Foundry, there is a potential gonna turn into power-hog with heat issues while struggle to perform at 7.5W TDP, look at Eshitnos chip on Galaxy devices.

Nintendo like cutting corners so nothing gonna matters but people banking on this being a powerhouse are so deluded.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
You ignore something even worse.

Samsung Foundry, there is a potential gonna turn into power-hog with heat issues while struggle to perform at 7.5W TDP, look at Eshitnos chip on Galaxy devices.

Nintendo like cutting corners so nothing gonna matters but people banking on this being a powerhouse are so deluded.

Samsung's 8LPU was fine for its time and it served Nvidia pretty well for the whole RTX30 Ampere lineup and Orin automotive SoCs.
The problem is that it's a 2019 half-node (small upgrade) of 10nm, which is similar to TSMC's 10FF from 2017.

Nvidia probably designed this chip back in 2019, with a product release in 2021 or so. And then Nintendo just sat on it for 4 years.

I bet that word of Nvidia trying to make their own gaming handheld comes from the fact that their reputation as gaming console chip provider is going to be questioned when Nintendo finally decides to drag their console out of the closet.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Samsung's 8LPU was fine for its time and it served Nvidia pretty well for the whole RTX30 Ampere lineup and Orin automotive SoCs.
The problem is that it's a 2019 half-node (small upgrade) of 10nm, which is similar to TSMC's 10FF from 2017.

Nvidia probably designed this chip back in 2019, with a product release in 2021 or so. And then Nintendo just sat on it for 4 years.

I bet that word of Nvidia trying to make their own gaming handheld comes from the fact that their reputation as gaming console chip provider is going to be questioned when Nintendo finally decides to drag their console out of the closet.
Eh because it consumes a lot of power.

Samsung fab is be poor once you accounted for these devices operated in sub 7.5W, which Exynos notoriously known for shitting the bed at(they also use the same Cortex X cores as Orin)

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Cyberdyne, I mean NVIDIA is too busy designing HAL9000s, T800s and Shodans to care about a Nintendo handheld.

They will be happy with the predictable long term revenue stream the switch 2 will provide.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Cyberdyne, I mean NVIDIA is too busy designing HAL9000s, T800s and Shodans to care about a Nintendo handheld.

They will be happy with the predictable long term revenue stream the switch 2 will provide.
Sarah Connor should be in middle school right now, or probably already killed in some random school shootings.

Revenue wise, I think it probably a piss in their pockets.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
2 screens clamshell would be nice. I know DS games will inevitably be added to NSO but I have no desire to see those games spread across my big ass tv screen.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

I'm not sure the Switch 2 is going to be a success. No one should be, to be honest.

The Nintendo 64 was fairly successful with 32 million consoles sold but then the Gamecube sold only 20 million.

Then people thought Nintendo had won their blue ocean market with the Wii with over 100 million consoles sold, just to be followed by the Wii U with 13 million sales.

The Switch is the best selling console ever with 140 million sales and now everyone is somehow assuming the Switch 2 is going to have a similar success... but:
- Nintendo isn't going to be alone in the handheld console market anymore, just like the Wii U wasn't alone in the waggle controllers anymore.
- Nintendo this time is using even older and weaker hardware for its launch date than they did with the Switch 1, like they did with the Wii U.

It's right after a major success that Nintendo tends to get way too greedy and relaxed, and it's honestly pointing that way with the Switch 2. They're basically going to launch in 2025 the same hardware they were going to use for a mid-gen upgrade back in 2021.
Besides the Steam Deck and windows handhelds (with even Qualcomm entering the scene), it looks like Sony isn't going to be leaving Nintendo alone in the handheld market either.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Perhaps we'll have more than one non-windows handheld console. It was stupid enough of Sony and Microsoft to leave Nintendo completely alone in that market.
The main reason of Vita being a massive failure and something Sony, MS and anyone else outside Nintendo won't repeat was that in modern times budgets for games in highend portable with their own hardware/OS is basically the same than the budget of home console+PC games but wih a tiny market, which is totally unsustainable.

The PC handheld makes way more sense for Sony, MS and any 3rd party because they don'tt require to make specific games or ports for it: they can simply use their PC games, and monetize these ports/games in both normal PCs and PC handhelds.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
2 screens clamshell would be nice. I know DS games will inevitably be added to NSO but I have no desire to see those games spread across my big ass tv screen.
That might be a thing that gives them an excuse to be under powered again lol

Reactions: BroodCorp

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The main reason of Vita being a massive failure and something Sony, MS and anyone else outside Nintendo won't repeat was that in modern times budgets for games in highend portable with their own hardware/OS is basically the same than the budget of home console+PC games but wih a tiny market, which is totally unsustainable.

The PC handheld makes way more sense for Sony, MS and any 3rd party because they don'tt require to make specific games or ports for it: they can simply use their PC games, and monetize these ports/games in both normal PCs and PC handhelds.

Handhelds now have 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2, can have regular SD cards instead of the silly priority Vita memory cards and can play modern home console/pc games downscaled, so no dedicated games needed anymore.

Things that weren't possible with Vita, 3DS etc because of the controller and not enough power to play those games.
Switch paved the way, Steamdeck even more so and Xbox will do the same with there ecosystem.

Sony needs to jump on board too. Will help there software sales, especially in Japan

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Handhelds now have 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2, can have regular SD cards instead of the silly priority Vita memory cards and can play modern home console/pc games downscaled, so no dedicated games needed anymore.

Things that weren't possible with Vita, 3DS etc because of the controller and not enough power to play those games.
Switch paved the way, Steamdeck even more so and Xbox will do the same with there ecosystem.

Sony needs to jump on board too. Will help there software sales, especially in Japan
Vita was a major failure as a business that they won't repeat. And was a failure due mainly the lack of support from devs, which was caused for what I mentioned.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Vita was a major failure as a business that they won't repeat. And was a failure due mainly the lack of support from devs, which was caused for what I mentioned.
Yes, they wont have that problem anymore now that the games can be played as one ecosystem just downscaled.

They dont need dedicated games anymore and the support from devs like that. Something Nintendo figured out, Steamdeck is doing and Xbox will probably do. I hope they make another portable

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
I'm not sure the Switch 2 is going to be a success. No one should be, to be honest.

The Nintendo 64 was fairly successful with 32 million consoles sold but then the Gamecube sold only 20 million.

Then people thought Nintendo had won their blue ocean market with the Wii with over 100 million consoles sold, just to be followed by the Wii U with 13 million sales.

The Switch is the best selling console ever with 140 million sales and now everyone is somehow assuming the Switch 2 is going to have a similar success... but:
- Nintendo isn't going to be alone in the handheld console market anymore, just like the Wii U wasn't alone in the waggle controllers anymore.
- Nintendo this time is using even older and weaker hardware for its launch date than they did with the Switch 1, like they did with the Wii U.

It's right after a major success that Nintendo tends to get way too greedy and relaxed, and it's honestly pointing that way with the Switch 2. They're basically going to launch in 2025 the same hardware they were going to use for a mid-gen upgrade back in 2021.
Besides the Steam Deck and windows handhelds (with even Qualcomm entering the scene), it looks like Sony isn't going to be leaving Nintendo alone in the handheld market either.
Biggest obstacle might be for their devs. They ll have to uograde graphical fidelity, resolution, textures, maybe voice acting. How long ll users have tk read walls of text? Budgets ll raise for them. Seems like reason for delay this time. They might not be able to finance and publish bunch of small cheap games anymore or like before. Expect evem more remasters.

Also switch 2 wont have novelty factor like before.
As u said bigger competition.

Really, really interested how it ll perform.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ampere will be, what? 5 years old by the time Switch 2 comes out?.. And 7/8 nm as expected. Also, I’m assuming it’s T239 and not T329.

This sounds very Nintendo.

As shit as this is it would still have more memory bandwidth than the Steam Deck and would probably be able to get decent ports of the vast majority of games on Xbox/PS5.

DLSS, the fact that every game has to run on the Series S and so many games being 60fps will make things easy for Nintendo.