Take-Two refuses to be drawn on whether it’s a potential Gearbox suitor

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Reuters and Bloomberg both claimed this month that Embracer Group was considering selling Gearbox, which It acquired in 2021 in a deal worth up to $1.4 billion, as part of major restructuring plans.

The former was told that Embracer had received interest from third parties keen on buying the studio. Potential buyers, who reportedly mainly consist of “international gaming groups”, already have access to Gearbox marketing materials, it’s claimed.

Take-Two, which retains a long-term publishing deal with Gearbox for the Borderlands franchise and other titles, was asked about its potential interest in acquiring the studio during its AGM on Thursday.

“We’ve had a long-term relationship with Gearbox of which we’re very proud,” CEO Strauss Zelnick said when asked if the company might be a Gearbox suitor. “They’re a wonderful company, they’ve delivered for us—not just Borderlands, but also Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands and other titles—and I’ve no doubt they’ll continue to be successful in the future.

“We’re thrilled that we have a long-term publishing relationship on these titles,” he added. “That publishing relationship exists without regard to the ultimate owner of Gearbox. But with regard to our potential interest, we don’t tend to speculate on potential transactions

Take-Two said last month that the Borderlands franchise has sold-in over 81 million units since launching in 2009.

The most recent mainline series entry, 2019’s Borderlands 3, is publishing label 2K’s fastest-selling title and has sold over 18 million copies.

2012’s Borderlands 2 is 2K’s top-selling game since the label’s inception seven years earlier, with over 27 million copies sold.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, I don't know where they will go now.... TakeTwo does seem like the natural pick but Borderlands and everything they make seem like they are on a downward trend / not so important.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Gearbox and Take-Two are a good match. If Take-Two has no real interest than I really don't know who else Gearbox could go to that would be pleasing. Wouldn't be shock if Tencent bought them since Randy Pitchford kinda always had that perceived shadiness to him. Could definitely see Randy taking that Tencent bag. EA would turn Borderlands into a microtransaction hell hole.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t care who gets Gearbox. Overrated and Borderlands’ best shot is the movie now…

Interested in the fallout for this Embracer Scam Saga … Hope Gunfire finds a home that isn’t Microsoft and that’s my only concern.

• sad

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don’t care who gets Gearbox. Overrated and Borderlands’ best shot is the movie now…

Interested in the fallout for this Embracer Scam Saga … Hope Gunfire finds a home that isn’t Microsoft and that’s my only concern.
I remember there was people throwing the idea about that Embracer is just holding onto Tomb Raider and co for MS to buy off them after the acquisitions go through

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I remember there was people throwing the idea about that Embracer is just holding onto Tomb Raider and co for MS to buy off them after the acquisitions go through

It could be what’s gonna happen. Embracer already got most of these studios and IP cheap and now they’ve hurt the value of everything even more.

It seems fitting to Microsoft’s predatory and vulture like behavior to do this. I think the only thing that does stop them here is waiting for the ABK deal to close. But… eidos is key to helping them with Perfect Dark and I hear other games as well since Xbox’s own studios are incapable husks. They kinda need to buy em 🤣

Which to me makes it easier for Sony to do it. Should they tho? Eh… Microsoft can buy all it wants for all I care. They suck at this gaming thing… not concerned 🤣

I would like to see Deus Ex continue tho… I hope good things happen as a result of all of this but not sure what that would mean. I won’t speculate much on it… rather just wait for the result.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It could be what’s gonna happen. Embracer already got most of these studios and IP cheap and now they’ve hurt the value of everything even more.

It seems fitting to Microsoft’s predatory and vulture like behavior to do this. I think the only thing that does stop them here is waiting for the ABK deal to close. But… eidos is key to helping them with Perfect Dark and I hear other games as well since Xbox’s own studios are incapable husks. They kinda need to buy em 🤣

Which to me makes it easier for Sony to do it. Should they tho? Eh… Microsoft can buy all it wants for all I care. They suck at this gaming thing… not concerned 🤣

I would like to see Deus Ex continue tho… I hope good things happen as a result of all of this but not sure what that would mean. I won’t speculate much on it… rather just wait for the result.

I just don’t like the idea of MS owning more IP’s they had nothing to do with creating and building. Yeah new IPs are awesome, but its gonna suck when all the classic ips, like Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider, Crash, Soul Reaver etc are all owned by MS. Fingers crossed it wont happen.

Yeah Id love a new Dues Ex remake or sequel done like the old games

• sad

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Borderlands is ok but the game they inspired Destiny is alot better. The only thing Borderlands has over Destiny is local split screen couch coop.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Pretty sure T2 owns the borderlands IP so it might make sense to pick them up eventually.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Aside from Epic themselves, 2K makes the most sense as a buyer for Gearbox.

Epic due to Gearbox being one of the best devs as far as making the Unreal Engine shine, Take 2 because they’ve made a shitload of money off Borderlands and would have total ownership of it after a buyout.

• brain