Tencent / Lightspeed acquires Lucid Games

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is on a small scale though compared to ABK. And right now after listening to a bunch of people from bloomberg, money is getting tight for small companies, so selling to someone who have been shoring up money from laying people off are now in a position to buy.

Ubisoft is the one that im waiting to hear soon on. It's going to depend on how their next quarterly goes.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Will the internet and journalists cheer on this acquisition just like they've been cheering on the Mega merger of MS and Acti? Probably not.

Also interesting to note that Sony's first live service game that people refuse to acknowledge bombed so hard the studio had to sell themself. Even though i enjoyed the game, not looking bright for the GaaS ambitions.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, I assume this mean that outside the people from the studio that Firesprite has hired, Sony won't buy Lucid so it's another one we can remove from the list of potential Sony acquisitions.

Also interesting to note that Sony's first live service game that people refuse to acknowledge bombed so hard the studio had to sell themself. Even though i enjoyed the game, not looking bright for the GaaS ambitions.
Sony made many live service games before Destruction All Stars.

Will the internet and journalists cheer on this acquisition just like they've been cheering on the Mega merger of MS and Acti? Probably not.
Activision Blizzard King is the biggest 3rd party publisher on console. Lucid had made some ports, a few mobile games, worked as support team in titles, Geometry Wars 3, Switchblade and Destruction All Stars. Not comparable.

Not sure how many of them have been hired by Firesprite, but like them Lucid had some former Evolution, Bizarre Creations and SCE Liverpool Studio devs.

Ubisoft is the one that im waiting to hear soon on. It's going to depend on how their next quarterly goes.
Won't happen at all.

Tencent gave the control of the company to the Guillemot family, who don't want to sell. And signed that won't buy nothing in 8 years. Which basically means that they won't sell the company in at least 8 years.

Current Ubi numbers aren't stellar due to a few covid related delays, a couple of games tanking and a few games got canned. They'll make some minor cuts here and there to cut the fat but they are very far of being on a troubling situation and even more from needing to sell the company, that idea doesn't make sense at all. This lower than usual finantials situation is something temporal, with the releases of games like AC Mirage, Avatar, The Crew, Star Wars and so on they'll have an epic comeback.

Last edited:

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Lucid Games developed Geometry Wars 3? That was a quality production that I rate very highly. They've got some talent within their walls... Many ex-bizarre staffers. Funnily enough, I was playing Blur just yesterday. Quality PC port. I had the game on PS3 when it came out and it didn't connect with me because of the 30fps... it's a classic though, along with Split/Second. Shame how that genre went.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Because these small studios aren't equipped to handle GaaS games. Which is why I'm worried for some Studio studios..

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lucid Games developed Geometry Wars 3? That was a quality production that I rate very highly. They've got some talent within their walls... Many ex-bizarre staffers. Funnily enough, I was playing Blur just yesterday. Quality PC port. I had the game on PS3 when it came out and it didn't connect with me because of the 30fps... it's a classic though, along with Split/Second. Shame how that genre went.
Split/Second was such a fantastic game. I miss stuff like this.