That short era of surprise reveals in gaming

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Remember that time from E3 2016 to 2018 There was a time where the gaming industry seemed to love doing surprise reveals. you know the type of reveals that build up suspense before it reveals what game it actually is and in the case of Resident Evil 7's Reveal wait until the end of the trailer!
RE7 E3 2016

GOW 2018 at E3 2016

Super Mario Odyssey at the January 2017 switch live presentation and again at E3 2017

The Last of Us Part II's Paris Games week 2017 trailer

Super Smash bros Ultimate Reveal

RE2 Remake's E3 2018 Reveal trailer

I remember these trailers stick out so much to me because of how secretive they were with the games before out right revealing them. Overall I miss this era and found these trailers so remember able because of it!

just look at how different RE8 and RE4 Remakes trailers were compared the RE7 and RE2 remake. They pretty much revealed what game it was very shortly after the trailer started!

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yup. Everything gets leaked these days. The MGS3 remake reveal would have been great but we knew about it a month before release and a few days before even the run time of the trailer. Shame

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
RE7 reveal was so good because first person horror games had become the norm and everyone was sure it was just another one of those. Especially after RE6 no one was expecting it.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This was a golden age as far as reveals go, they gave us the holy forum trinity (shenmue, the last guardian, FF7R). RE7 was such a shocking reveal, as was GoW 2018 if you were a fan of the originals. Insomniac doing Spiderman was a huge deal at the time, and a New IP from Kojima??? Amazing that most of those games delivered and some! The last hype reveal of this era was.. maybe Ghost of Tsushima?

You can definitely feel this gen publishers are keeping their cards closer to their chests.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This was a golden age as far as reveals go, they gave us the holy forum trinity (shenmue, the last guardian, FF7R). RE7 was such a shocking reveal, as was GoW 2018 if you were a fan of the originals. Insomniac doing Spiderman was a huge deal at the time, and a New IP from Kojima??? Amazing that most of those games delivered and some! The last hype reveal of this era was.. maybe Ghost of Tsushima?

You can definitely feel this gen publishers are keeping their cards closer to their chests.
RE2 remake's reveal felt like the last big surprise reveal to me. They played it out with the rat crawling around. seeing a scuffle between two people. then it turns out it's a zombie but even then ere not sure if this is RE2, Day's Gone, or another zombie IP. Then zombie gets a headshot only to reveal Leon!

Reactions: voke and Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Ehh, Nintendo still does it some times. Kirby and the Forgotten Land did all it could to hide that it would be a Crash style corridor platformer, though it was sort of obvious when you did the GXP thing. And then Pokemon LZA was revealed four months ago and we still don't know what type of game its going to be.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I believe Devil May Cry 5 was a very big surprise. It came when fans almost gave up on franchise return to glory

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Gears E-Day was a sick reveal that came out of nowhere. The rumors that were being spread were a trilogy remake/remaster. No one expected a prequel, or at least I didn't.

Let's just hope they can actually deliver on it

Reactions: peter42O

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Gears E-Day was a sick reveal that came out of nowhere. The rumors that were being spread were a trilogy remake/remaster. No one expected a prequel, or at least I didn't.

I was expecting Gears of War 6 but far more hyped that the next Gears game is E-Day. Can't wait!!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony would have had one this year if Kojima didn't announce his game without footage

Ico

Banned
8 May 2024
fr, even tho i got surprised with metaphor refantazio being re-revealed on the xbox event and mh wilds on tga last year

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I believe Devil May Cry 5 was a very big surprise. It came when fans almost gave up on franchise return to glory
This reveal was great but it wasn't long until we knew it was Devil May Cry V. However I myself wasn't sure if it was DMC 2 or Devil May Cry 5 until the logo reveal on the van.

This is sort of a good one but it was obvious in the trailer it was gears right after they burst thru the wall. Yes it not being gears 6 or a remaster from the original trilogy was a great surprise but from the beginning of the trailer it didn't feel shocking it was a gears game.

Think of the second Mario odyssey trailer at E3 2017
I literally was thinking this was a Xenoblade game an then when the dinosaur pops up, I'm not too sure what it is. Then the Mario hat appears and WHAT THE F@*K?
This is Super Mario Odyssey?
I miss those types of shock reveals

Reactions: JAHGamer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
RE2 remake's reveal felt like the last big surprise reveal to me. They played it out with the rat crawling around. seeing a scuffle between two people. then it turns out it's a zombie but even then ere not sure if this is RE2, Day's Gone, or another zombie IP. Then zombie gets a headshot only to reveal Leon!
I just wish they didn't show the trooper's raccoon patch. Looking at some reactions, people knew what it was just from that.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Just look at this. 2 MAJOR reveals one after the other. We'll never get something like this again.
I remember these days..... we went from TLG and FF7R hype to....... Bloodborne 60fps begging:(