The FCC just quadrupled the download speed required to market internet as ‘broadband’ https://engt.co/4a5fyKw

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The FCC has raised the speeds required to describe internet service as “broadband” for the first time since 2015. The agency’s annual high-speed internet assessment concluded that 100 Mbps downloads and 20 Mbps uploads will be the new standard. The news will likely irk ISPs who would love to keep pointing to 25 Mbps / 3 Mbps speeds (the previous standards) and convincing people they’re getting high-speed broadband.

The FCC can’t police ISPs to force them to boost their speeds, but this type of move may be the best card it can play. What it can do is prevent them from marketing their services as “broadband” internet if they don’t meet these thresholds. It remains to be seen whether the companies providing the infrastructure play ball or opt for other marketing buzzwords to sell customers on glacial and outdated internet speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
fcc should mandate symmetrical broadband. this bullshit of downloads being 5x faster than uploads is bullshit. it promotes a vision of the internet as a one-directional, consumption-based, TV-like, passive experience.
This would be nice here in the UK.
There is not that many providers in the UK that do symmetrical Internet and the ones that do are normally in cities right now
DL is always way faster then UL Even on full fiber 1gig line

I have: Sky Gigafast
900 Mb/s
avg. speed - Estimated*
85 - 100 Mb/s avg. speed - Estimated*

Screenshot 2024-03-16 180805.png

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This would be nice here in the UK.
There is not that many providers in the UK that do symmetrical Internet and the ones that do are normally in cities right now
DL is always way faster then UL Even on full fiber 1gig line

I have: Sky Gigafast
900 Mb/s
avg. speed - Estimated*
85 - 100 Mb/s avg. speed - Estimated*

View attachment 4523
Yeah I have 1 gig here too but my provifer Verizon keeps uploads almost the same as downloads well at least last i checked. Only a few companies have a monopoly on internet service in certain areas smh which I hate.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
20Mbps uploads is a joke. 100Mbps download + 100Mbps upload would be ok.

But well, I'm in Spain and today I have 1Gbps download + 1Gbps upload fiber, plus home phone, 2 smartphones with unlimited calls and no data and pay per view for all the football, Netflix and Prime video, all that for around 100 bucks. And pretty sure there must be better pricing elsewhere in other company.

They shouldn't allow data caps or speeds for under 100Mbps.

Last edited:
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Not to mention better uploads speeds are useful and needed for streaming

Had 600Mbps down and around 175Mbps up. Downgraded it to save money to 400Mbps down and 100Mbps up. It uploads 4K videos decently, but youtube seems to have cut the speeds of uploads quite a lot since 1-2 years as it was really rapid.

I only use ethernet cables with my PC and PS5 though.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Had 600Mbps down and around 175Mbps up. Downgraded it to save money to 400Mbps down and 100Mbps up. It uploads 4K videos decently, but youtube seems to have cut the speeds of uploads quite a lot since 1-2 years as it was really rapid.

I only use ethernet cables with my PC and PS5 though.
Yeah I'm plugged in via ethernet all the time.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Yeah I'm plugged in all the time.

Sure you are, you just left your spare one at my Helldiver Destroyer though:

61Pf+6N6XJL.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78