The first true console VR headset by Sega-Sega VR truly ahead of its time.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn I remember hearing about this and wanting this and then of course it wasn't released. Sega were innovators and visionaries and it's wild to imagine what VR would have looked like at that time. And please don't mention the Nintendo gimmick which was not VR in any capacity just in name lol this was the real deal

What are your thoughts on its design? Thought it looked cool asf!

1702513779076.png

The Sega VR is an unreleased virtual reality headset developed by Sega in the early 1990s. Planned as an add-on peripheral for the Sega Genesis and only publicly showcased at a number of trade shows and expositions, its release was postponed and later cancelled outright after Sega ran into development issues. At least four in-progress games for the hardware were in development before its cancellation.

The project was largely driven by Sega of America; a more successful, separate, and officially released attempt at a virtual reality headset, the Mega Visor Display, was overseen by Sega's Japanese amusement divisions and United Kingdom-based collaborators Virtuality, and would be used in the VR-1 theme park ride and the Dennou Senki Net Merc arcade game. The similarly titled VR-1 is not to be confused with the Sega VR.[1]

The Sega VR's design was based on an IDEO virtual reality head-mounted display containing LCD screens in the visor and stereo headphones.[2] The headset tracking solution was developed by a small electronics company called Ono-Sendai that had been experimenting with VR headsets. The method employed was only capable of tracking two degrees of freedom but was very inexpensive, costing only around $1 per unit, making it affordable for the consumer market.[3] The device used a magnetometer to detect azimuth relative to the Earth's magnetic field and an optical sensor measuring the refraction of light at the boundary of a gas and fluid to detect tilt.[4]

• Surprised
Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
VR for the genesis? That’s impressive but considering the virtual boy… Probably best it wasn’t released….

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
VR for the genesis? That’s impressive but considering the virtual boy… Probably best it wasn’t released….
Virtual boy was only VR in name there was absolutely nothing virtual about it. This has been well documented it was a farce even putting "virtual" in its name.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Virtual boy was only VR in name there was absolutely nothing virtual about it. This has been well documented it was a farce even putting "virtual" in its name.

Uh if I’m not mistaken that’s a vr headset. It’s a portable with snes level graphics. Its impressive For the time But it’s not like true full 3D. It was a experimental device more than anything.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Damn I remember hearing about this and wanting this and then of course it wasn't released. Sega were innovators and visionaries and it's wild to imagine what VR would have looked like at that time. And please don't mention the Nintendo gimmick which was not VR in any capacity just in name lol this was the real deal

What are your thoughts on its design? Thought it looked cool asf!

View attachment 3305

The Sega VR is an unreleased virtual reality headset developed by Sega in the early 1990s. Planned as an add-on peripheral for the Sega Genesis and only publicly showcased at a number of trade shows and expositions, its release was postponed and later cancelled outright after Sega ran into development issues. At least four in-progress games for the hardware were in development before its cancellation.

The project was largely driven by Sega of America; a more successful, separate, and officially released attempt at a virtual reality headset, the Mega Visor Display, was overseen by Sega's Japanese amusement divisions and United Kingdom-based collaborators Virtuality, and would be used in the VR-1 theme park ride and the Dennou Senki Net Merc arcade game. The similarly titled VR-1 is not to be confused with the Sega VR.[1]

The Sega VR's design was based on an IDEO virtual reality head-mounted display containing LCD screens in the visor and stereo headphones.[2] The headset tracking solution was developed by a small electronics company called Ono-Sendai that had been experimenting with VR headsets. The method employed was only capable of tracking two degrees of freedom but was very inexpensive, costing only around $1 per unit, making it affordable for the consumer market.[3] The device used a magnetometer to detect azimuth relative to the Earth's magnetic field and an optical sensor measuring the refraction of light at the boundary of a gas and fluid to detect tilt.[4]
Sega VR never was released. This instead was released, it did use the Commodore Amiga computer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(product)

Uh if I’m not mistaken that’s a vr headset. It’s a portable with snes level graphics. Its impressive For the time But it’s not like true full 3D. It was a experimental device more than anything.

It isn't a VR headset.

It featured red and black colors 2D pixel art visuals, like a red Game Boy but with sense of depth. It was a static headset, it wasn't attached to your head and didn't track movement. It was a huge failure, did sell a tiny amount of copies.

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Sega VR never was released. This instead was released, it did use the Commodore Amiga computer:

It isn't a VR headset.

It featured red and black colors 2D pixel art visuals, like a red Game Boy but with sense of depth. It was a static headset, it wasn't attached to your head and didn't track movement. It was a huge failure, did sell a tiny amount of copies.

Oh no I know It was a flop. It was an overall bad decision. Not a console I care for lol. Was primitive vr though. Was way too expensive and killed Peoples eyeballs lmao. I couldnt Imagine sitting down and playing on that thing for hours a day.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

It isn't a VR headset.

Yes I know it wasn't released hence my initial comment.