The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

• Visual Changes
    • 1440p/60 in default performance mode, just like earlier patch
    • Foliage pop-in in remastered version has been significantly reduced
    • Foliage density/LOD for distant foliage has been increased
    • Shadows generally look the same as the original version
    • Struggled to spot any difference in texture quality compared to the original version
    • Anisotropic filtering is improved
    • Some manual lighting/shadow tweaks seem to have been applied on a scene-by-scene basics
    • A few random cutscenes have been tweaked and/or reframed
    • Biggest upgrade is still the ability to play at 60fps, which the earlier patch already provided
    • 4k/30 in fidelity mode
    • Fidelity mode image quality over performance mode not as big of an upgrade as you might expect
    • Fidelity mode does come with a certain clarity that performance mode lacks, however. Particularly fine details like blades of grass
    • Some ambient occlusion changes in fidelity mode, but AO is not preferable in one mode over the other
  • Performance
    • Performance mode stays at a close to locked 60fps in gameplay, with only a few occasional dropped frames
    • Fidelity mode is completely locked to 30fps in gameplay
    • Some frame pacing issues in cinematics
    • Fidelity mode unlocked w/ VRR off attempts to run at 40fps on 120hz displays, and keeps a fairly stable 40fps
    • If you enable unlocked w/ VRR ON, you can play both modes with truly unlocked framerates. With this preset, performance mode runs 75-100 fps on average, and fidelity mode runs around 40-60 fps
    • Load times have been reduced from 40-50 seconds down to 16-17 seconds typically
  • Additional options
    • FOV can now be adjusted, with a pretty decent spread between the lowest and highest values
    • Dualsense haptics and trigger feedback can be adjusted extensively

Reactions: John Elden Ring

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have the impression TLOU to TLOUR was a bigger upgrade but from PS3 to PS4 you had to redo a lot of things that probably lead to improvement / better quality.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have the impression TLOU to TLOUR was a bigger upgrade but from PS3 to PS4 you had to redo a lot of things that probably lead to improvement / better quality.
Of course it was. The assets were already high quality in this do the improvement in 2 wasn't going to be so big.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Of course this guy found no differences in textures other than some sort of dirt texture. I don't know why Sony sends shit to these frauds.

Here, a more detailed analysis.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78